* Org and Muse
@ 2008-04-21 15:15 Richard G Riley
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-04-21 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I just dug out some old Muse documents I had and am now wondering what
overlap exists, if any, between Muse and Org. As a committed Org user
should I migrate these Muse projects to Org projects?  Any thoughts
appreciated. Possibly I have the wrong end of the stick with regard to
org publishing and the two should live together?

* Re: Org and Muse
@ 2008-04-21 19:23 ` Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2008-04-21 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
> I just dug out some old Muse documents I had and am now wondering what
> overlap exists, if any, between Muse and Org. As a committed Org user
> should I migrate these Muse projects to Org projects?  Any thoughts
> appreciated. Possibly I have the wrong end of the stick with regard to
> org publishing and the two should live together?

I use both Org and Muse.  There is a bit of overlap, so sometimes it's
hard for me to choose one over the other when creating a new document.

I don't use org publishing, so that makes it a bit easier.  I use Org
for all my planning and time tracking, and Muse for any document that
I intend to publish and release to some sort of audience.

Muse projects and publishing styles are very powerful, along with a
very intuitive markup syntax.  That's why I prefer Muse over Org
publish.

But I can understand your desire to move all your old Muse documents
to Org.  At least once a day I think to myself how incredible Org is.
It's easily one of the best software packages I've ever used.

--
Peter Jones, pmade inc.
http://pmade.com

* Re: Org and Muse
@ 2008-04-23 13:00 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-23 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: org-mode

On Apr 21, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Richard G Riley wrote:

> I just dug out some old Muse documents I had and am now wondering what
> overlap exists, if any, between Muse and Org. As a committed Org user
> should I migrate these Muse projects to Org projects?  Any thoughts
> appreciated. Possibly I have the wrong end of the stick with regard to
> org publishing and the two should live together?

Hi Richard,

this really depends what you are up to.

If Org does fulfil all the publishing needs you have, and if you have
recently only used Org for many things, it might be a good thing to
move old Muse files.  If only to just work in a single environment and
not having to remember several different ways of writing the ascii
source.  Much can be achieved these days with rg if your target is
HTML or LaTeX.

However, if the focus of what you are doing is really document
creation, publishing, then Muse currently gives you many more options,
to tweak the final output, to reach different formats etc.

There used to be plans to tweak Muse so that it could digest Org
syntax, but these plans have died (as far as I know).

There are plans to enhance the export of Org, to allow richer output
and more export formats, but my estimate is that it will be quite some
time before these (in the publishing quality sense) would be up to par
with Muse, if ever.  The focus of Org has so far been less strongly on
publishing, its syntax is sloppier to facilitate easier note taking,
but that at the same time makes writing consistent export harder.  Not
impossible, only harder.  Bastien has worked hard to create a basis
for a general exporter, so I am sure more will come, eventually.

- Carsten

* Re: Org and Muse
@ 2008-04-24  6:53 ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2008-04-24  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: org-mode

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Richard G Riley
<rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

>  I just dug out some old Muse documents I had and am now wondering what
>  overlap exists, if any, between Muse and Org. As a committed Org user
>  should I migrate these Muse projects to Org projects?  Any thoughts
>  appreciated. Possibly I have the wrong end of the stick with regard to
>  org publishing and the two should live together?

As long as my tasks don't go beyond the capabilities of Org, I prefer
Org. Two reasons why I sometimes choose Muse are:

1. Export to Docbook

2. <lisp> tag in Muse. I love it. So, one of my last documents begins
with the line:

* Version: <lisp>(calc-eval (concat
"<"(calendar-date-string(calendar-current-date)) "> - <12
apr2008>"))</lisp> days with LBook.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev