* [Babel] tangle - kind of macro expansion inside src blocks?
@ 2011-03-14 14:30 Olaf.Hamann
From: Olaf.Hamann @ 2011-03-14 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

is there a way to do so or are there plans to integrate
a macro expansion mechanism into org-babel-tangle
like that one org-mode already provides?

#+MACRO: name replacement
{{{name}}}

I would like to replace config parameter in begin_src...end_src blocks.
Change at one place in org-file shall change values in tangled code-files.

I helped myself with an ugly hack in org-babel-tangle,
so that following lines work for me at the moment.

#+MACRO CONFIG_PARAM01 45

#+begin_src sh :tangle file1.sh
     echo org-mode set CONFIG_PARAMETER to: {{{CONFIG_PARAM01}}}
#+end_src

#+begin_src sh :tangle file2.sh
     echo org-mode set CONFIG_PARAMETER to: {{{CONFIG_PARAM01}}}
#+end_src

(this is an example only - the language which I tangle to is not good at
local vars support,
so using $CONFIG_PARAMETER inside tangled code is no solution to me)

But this is no solution, so I ask whether there is already some
functionality to do like this,
which will nicely fit into the aspects of different languages to be used
in src blocks.
Work of org-babel-detangle will be harder when using such a macro
functionality
(supported languages need inline comments, what to do with other? ).

Regards,
Olaf

* Re: [Babel] tangle - kind of macro expansion inside src blocks?
@ 2011-03-14 15:35 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-03-14 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf.Hamann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Olaf,

I've just added a new hook through which you will be able to expand
regular Org-mode style macros in code block bodies during export.  The
following org-mode snippet demonstrates its use.

First, add macro expansion to the new `org-babel-tangle-body-hook'.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent
  (add-hook 'org-babel-tangle-body-hook
            (lambda () (org-export-preprocess-apply-macros)))
#+end_src

Then define the macro.  Note: you may need to export the buffer before
tangling so that the macro definition is noticed and processed by
Org-mode.

#+MACRO: CONFIG_PARAM01 45

Then on both export and tangling the macro in the following code block
will be replaced.

#+begin_src sh :tangle yes
  echo org-mode set CONFIG_PARAMETER to: {{{CONFIG_PARAM01}}}
#+end_src

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2011-03-14 18:06   ` Olaf.Hamann
From: Olaf.Hamann @ 2011-03-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

thank you very much, it works as announced.

I have probs with replacing/overlaying the built-in org-mode in my Emacs
(w32-binary),
but that's not issue here.

After an eval-buffer of ob-tangle.el I can reproduce the expected result.

Exporting the buffer first is necessary, but that could be done by the
pre-tangle-hook I hope.

Thank you very much for that quick feature patch.

Regards,

Olaf