From: Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com>
To: Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [ANN] OpenDocumentText/OpenOffice Exporter - 0.6 Release
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:00:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

This is great, and I look forward to seeing it as part of Org-mode.

Thanks for the detailed git instructions. Haven't dared try before.

Some feedback:

- *Captions/labels/references* do not yet integrate well with
   OpenOffice.

   - The illustration in sec 6.2.2 is captioned "Illustration fig:1024
     Unicorn Logo", echoing the label. One would probably prefer
     something *auto-numbered* like "Illustration 1: Unicorn Logo".

     - (Even better if there were possible to choose other types names,
       like Chart, Figure, etc.).

   - The reference to the same illustration is a hyperlink containing
     part of the label text ("1024"). A *cross-reference field* would
     be preferable to a hyperlink, and "Illustration 1" or similar
     better than "1024".

   - The table caption in sec 9.2, on the other hand, works the way I
     would want illustration captions to work: What appears in the
     caption is not the label text ("table:10"), but the auto-numbered
     "Table 1 An Example Table".

     - (It would be nice to have a colon or other *separator* between
       label and caption text: "Table 1: An Example Table".)

   - However, the reference to that table appears as a hyperlink saying
     "10", and the hyperlink does not appear to work. A cross-reference
     link to "Table 1" would be better.

- It might also be preferable to have links to inline targets, at
   least headline and CUSTOM_ID targets, exported as *cross-reference
   fields* rather than hyperlinks. In OpenOffice, a cross-reference
   field can give e.g. the automatically updated page number the target
   is at.

Exporting one of my own documents, I also found that:

- A space is inserted before *footnote markers*; it shouldn't be. You
   can't see this in the text document, where there is space before all
   footnote references anyway.

- Paragraphs were frequently split up, mid-sentence, by unwanted
   paragraph breaks. This bug is a bit of a mystery. The extra
   paragraph breaks appear where there is a newline in the text. But I
   can't discern any pattern as to why breaks are inserted at these
   newlines and not others. Nothing similar happens in HTML export.

Hope this helps you refine a really helpful contribution.

Yours,
Christian