* calendar date adjustments blocked
@ 2011-11-04  6:12 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-11-04  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I needed to enter information for two dates in org-mode and went into
calendar using c-c+! and got the current date as expected then hit c-b to
move the date to yesterday and pointer remained on today's date.  So I
ended up hitting <cr> on today's date and editing it in the actual org
file and filling the rest of my entry in after it.  Then I repeated the
operation for today and entered today's information.  I was a bit
surprised that the date was locked like that once calendar mode was
entered but managed a workaround anyway.

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> When people ask do you believe in
Numerology, the proper reply for me at least is do you believe in a
hammer?  The proper answer for me for both questions is no, they're both
tools and to be used under appropriate circumstances.

* Re: calendar date adjustments blocked
@ 2011-11-05  0:11 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-11-05  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> I needed to enter information for two dates in org-mode and went into
> calendar using c-c+! and got the current date as expected then hit c-b to
> move the date to yesterday and pointer remained on today's date.  So I
> ended up hitting <cr> on today's date and editing it in the actual org
> file and filling the rest of my entry in after it.  Then I repeated the
> operation for today and entered today's information.  I was a bit
> surprised that the date was locked like that once calendar mode was
> entered but managed a workaround anyway.

C-c ! -2 RET should be 2 days ago.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: calendar date adjustments blocked
@ 2011-11-05  2:03 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-11-05  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:

> I needed to enter information for two dates in org-mode and went into
> calendar using c-c+! and got the current date as expected then hit c-b to
> move the date to yesterday and pointer remained on today's date.  So I
> ended up hitting <cr> on today's date and editing it in the actual org
> file and filling the rest of my entry in after it.  Then I repeated the
> operation for today and entered today's information.  I was a bit
> surprised that the date was locked like that once calendar mode was
> entered but managed a workaround anyway.

I guess your problem is that the calendar is indeed popped up, but the cursor
is still in the daytime prompt in the minibuffer. As Bernt points out, typing
-2 at that point gets you to the right date.

The calendar seems to be for inveterate mouser users, not keyboard
types: even if I C-x o to the calendar window, the cursor ends up not on
today's date but off to the right somewhere and I get an error message:

,----
| Error in post-command-hook (org-read-date-display): (buffer-read-only *Calendar*)
`----

Not sure what's going on there: I expected that after I switched windows
to the Calendar, my cursor would be on today's date.

Nick

* Re: calendar date adjustments blocked
@ 2011-11-05  6:26   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-11-05  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Jude DaShiell, emacs-orgmode

On 5.11.2011, at 03:03, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
>
>> I needed to enter information for two dates in org-mode and went into
>> calendar using c-c+! and got the current date as expected then hit c-b to
>> move the date to yesterday and pointer remained on today's date.  So I
>> ended up hitting <cr> on today's date and editing it in the actual org
>> file and filling the rest of my entry in after it.  Then I repeated the
>> operation for today and entered today's information.  I was a bit
>> surprised that the date was locked like that once calendar mode was
>> entered but managed a workaround anyway.
>>

> I guess your problem is that the calendar is indeed popped up, but the cursor
> is still in the daytime prompt in the minibuffer. As Bernt points out, typing
> -2 at that point gets you to the right date.
>
> The calendar seems to be for inveterate mouser users, not keyboard
> types: even if I C-x o to the calendar window, the cursor ends up not on
> today's date but off to the right somewhere and I get an error message:
>
> ,----
> | Error in post-command-hook (org-read-date-display): (buffer-read-only *Calendar*)
> `----
>
> Not sure what's going on there: I expected that after I switched windows
> to the Calendar, my cursor would be on today's date.

The popup calender in Org is a special construct that hijacks key presses
so that all control can be done from the minibuffer, without switching to the
calender buffer itself.  This has side effects if you try to move
into the calendar buffer window anyway.

Bernt showed one way to specify the date.  You can also click on the date
to get it selected immediately.  Or you can use S-left twice to get the date
selected with the shadow cursor in the calendar window.  There are more
key presses that manipulate the calendar window from the minibuffer, see

http://orgmode.org/manual/Creating-timestamps.html#Creating-timestamps

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: calendar date adjustments blocked
@ 2011-11-05 10:30     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-11-05 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Is it just the calendar or other things that use pop ups in emacs? On Sat,

@ 2011-11-05 11:11       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-11-05 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

On 5.11.2011, at 11:30, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Is it just the calendar or other things that use pop ups in emacs?

Just the calendar, and only when called from an Org-mode command
that prompts the user for a date.

- Carsten

@ 2011-11-05 15:29     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-11-05 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Jude DaShiell, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5.11.2011, at 03:03, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
> > Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I needed to enter information for two dates in org-mode and went into
> >> calendar using c-c+! and got the current date as expected then hit c-b to
> >> move the date to yesterday and pointer remained on today's date.  So I
> >> ended up hitting <cr> on today's date and editing it in the actual org
> >> file and filling the rest of my entry in after it.  Then I repeated the
> >> operation for today and entered today's information.  I was a bit
> >> surprised that the date was locked like that once calendar mode was
> >> entered but managed a workaround anyway.
> >>

> > I guess your problem is that the calendar is indeed popped up, but the cursor
> > is still in the daytime prompt in the minibuffer. As Bernt points out, typing
> > -2 at that point gets you to the right date.
> >
> > The calendar seems to be for inveterate mouser users, not keyboard
> > types: even if I C-x o to the calendar window, the cursor ends up not on
> > today's date but off to the right somewhere and I get an error message:
> >
> > ,----
> > | Error in post-command-hook (org-read-date-display): (buffer-read-only *Calendar*)
> > `----
> >
> > Not sure what's going on there: I expected that after I switched windows
> > to the Calendar, my cursor would be on today's date.
>
> The popup calender in Org is a special construct that hijacks key presses
> so that all control can be done from the minibuffer, without switching to the
> calender buffer itself.  This has side effects if you try to move
> into the calendar buffer window anyway.
>
> Bernt showed one way to specify the date.  You can also click on the date
> to get it selected immediately.  Or you can use S-left twice to get the date
> selected with the shadow cursor in the calendar window.  There are more
> key presses that manipulate the calendar window from the minibuffer, see
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Creating-timestamps.html#Creating-timestamps

Thank you - time to hit the books (again). Of all people, I should have
known better than to post without checking the manual first.

Nick

* Re: calendar date adjustments blocked
@ 2011-11-05 17:23       ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-11-05 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

hitting -2 in the date field had no effect, what did work though was

@ 2011-11-05 17:56         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-11-05 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

On 5.11.2011, at 18:23, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> hitting -2 in the date field had no effect,

Bernt means typing into the minibuffer "-2" and then hitting RET

- Carsten