* Re: arranging and publishing music with Org-mode and lilypond
@ 2010-10-03  3:19 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2010-10-03  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stefan

Maybe a bit OT but I find nted useful for my musical needs:
http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/nted/nted.xhtml
because it both plays and shows music quite well. [I use it to teach singing]
Does lilypond play also?

One small gripe with nted is that it exports but does not import lilypond.

Rustom

* Re: Re: arranging and publishing music with Org-mode and lilypond
@ 2010-10-03  3:43 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-03  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stefan
>
> Maybe a bit OT but I find nted useful for my musical needs:
> http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/nted/nted.xhtml
> because it both plays and shows music quite well. [I use it to teach singing]
> Does lilypond play also?
>
> One small gripe with nted is that it exports but does not import lilypond.

lilypond is a batch processor: it can produce MIDI files but it does not
play them.

Nick

* Re: Re: arranging and publishing music with Org-mode and lilypond
@ 2010-10-03  9:58 ` Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2010-10-03  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

Dear Rustom,

I have looked at the NtEd example and, obviously, this is also a very powerful piece of software. However, I see as a significant drawback that it only works on one platform and does not have the plain text TeX-ish appeal many on this list  appreciate. But using it as a front-end for lilypond might be   helpful for some users - similar to using equation editors with elaborate graphical user interfaces that can export TeX snippets.

As Nick has pointed out, lilypond can generate MIDI output along with high-quality PDF. At least in my examples, the MIDI output even reflected dynamics and voices correctly (a good way of checking a score).

I have written a simple elisp function: on pressing F1, the current lilypond buffer is compiled (in the usual meaning) and, on success, the resulting PDF opened. Nice: clicking on a note in the PDF file will open the appropriate lilypond file in Emacs - at the appropriate position (of that note). Instead of opening the PDF, one could play the MIDI file with an external player. However, although this will work well in general, there will still be cases where this kind of approach is not "immediate" enough if your focus is on fast audio feedback (ideally, you would want to mark a lilypond snippet in Emacs and listen to it immediately; if you keep the lilypond input simple enough, this is not so difficult to implement, maybe I will look into it).

Warm regards,
 Stefan

On 03.10.2010, at 05:19, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Hi Stefan
>
> Maybe a bit OT but I find nted useful for my musical needs:
> http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/nted/nted.xhtml
> because it both plays and shows music quite well. [I use it to teach singing]
> Does lilypond play also?
>
> One small gripe with nted is that it exports but does not import lilypond.
>
> Rustom

Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung
Gleuelerstr. 50, 50931 Köln, Germany
Tel.: +49-221-4726-213  FAX +49-221-4726-298
Tel.: +49-221-478-5713  Mobile: 0160-93874279
Email: vollmar@nf.mpg.de   http://www.nf.mpg.de

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Re: arranging and publishing music with Org-mode and lilypond
@ 2010-10-06  8:14         ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2010-10-06  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

On 10/5/10 10:38 PM, Shelagh Manton wrote:

> I have had an ob-LilyPond on my list of things to do for quite a while
> now. If I have the next few days off, I will seriously look into it.
> But post integration with LilyPond-book is probably more than I would be
> able to handle in the short term.

Great!

Actually, forget my last message; I hadn't thought this through at
all. An ob-lilypond should allow us to dispense with lilypond-book.

#+begin_src lilypond :exports results :file song1.png
\relative c' { c d e f g a b c }
#+end_src

- no post-processing needed. But for the purposes I outlined, it would
be important to use these tricks in export:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-program/Alternate-methods-of-mixing-text-and-music#Alternate-methods-of-mixing-text-and-music

Yours,
Christian