* puzzling plain list and tree folding behaviour
@ 2010-10-12  5:59 Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2010-10-12  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have this an item in an org file:

**** Montréal-Python 16
      <2010-10-18 Mon 18:00-21:30>

      Montréal-Python 16 will take place in room PK-1620 of UQAM on
      2010-10-18. This is in the President-Kennedy building. It will be a
      Python in the cloud themed edition.

      Here is our schedule for the evening:

      - 18h00 Opening
      - 18h20 Announcements
      - 18h30 Flash presentations
      - 19h00 Break
      - 19h20 Main presentations
      - 20h30 Discussions and refreshments at Benelux

      Our main presenter is going to be Simon Law and he is going to talk
      about Startup Mistakes in Cloud Deployment.

** Ubuntu
<etc>

There are three puzzling things going on:

1) When I first loaded up the org file in which this text occurs, the
ancestor headlines of the subtree are displayed. This is so even though
org-startup-folded evaluates to t. Other files behave as expected,
opening to display only top level headings. Even odder, the extent of
what is displayed on start-up appears to be a function of the folded
state when I closed emacs while viewing the file. It certainly varies as
I open emacs to the file, play with the folding, close emacs, and
repeat. (This without saving the file.)

2) Where `** Ubuntu' occurs in the snippet above, on startup I have
`...' and the subsequent level-2 heading is apparently folded away under
the level-4 heading. I can only make it display if I fold and unfold the
heading `*** Python' which is the parent of the one in the snippet.

3) If I hit TAB on any of the - lines of the plain list save the last, I
get the mini-buffer message `EMPTY ENTRY'. If I hit TAB on the last line
(`- 20h30...') the paragraph `Our main presenter...' gets folded under
that line.

I rarely make use of plain lists. But, the observed behaviour is not at
all what the documentation would lead me to expect. Can anyone cast some
light as to what is going on?

On exploring what I had set to try to track down the problem, I do have
`(setq org-cycle-separator-lines 1)' in my .emacs. When I comment it
out, the exact pattern described in (1) alters a bit, but not too the
expected behaviour. Points (2) and (3) are unaffected.

org-version:   7.01h
emacs version: 23.1.1
ubuntu 10.04
I have not set any org-mode variables that treat of plain lists.

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB

* Re: puzzling plain list and tree folding behaviour
@ 2010-10-12  7:45 ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2010-10-12  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I forgot one detail. Apologies.

Brian van den Broek said unto the world at 10-10-12 01:59 AM:
> **** Montréal-Python 16
> <2010-10-18 Mon 18:00-21:30>
>
> Montréal-Python 16 will take place in room PK-1620 of UQAM on

<snip>

> - 19h20 Main presentations
> - 20h30 Discussions and refreshments at Benelux
>
> Our main presenter is going to be Simon Law and he is going to talk
> about Startup Mistakes in Cloud Deployment.

<snip>

> 3) If I hit TAB on any of the - lines of the plain list save the last, I
> get the mini-buffer message `EMPTY ENTRY'. If I hit TAB on the last line
> (`- 20h30...') the paragraph `Our main presenter...' gets folded under
> that line.

The behaviour noted at (3) occurs even when I alter the item in question
so that the `Our main...' line commences several characters to the left
of the bullet `-'. (My first post had proper indentation in the snippet
from my org file.)

@ 2010-10-12 20:56 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-10-12 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> org-version: 7.01h emacs version: 23.1.1 ubuntu 10.04 I have not set
> any org-mode variables that treat of plain lists.

Many changes have been made to plain lists since 7.01h. For example,
your third point is definitely gone.

You may upgrade to Org git version.

Regards,

-- Nicolas

* Re: puzzling plain list and tree folding behaviour
@ 2010-10-12 21:35   ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2010-10-12 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou said unto the world at 10-10-12 04:56 PM:
> Hello,

>> org-version: 7.01h emacs version: 23.1.1 ubuntu 10.04 I have not set
>> any org-mode variables that treat of plain lists.
>
> Many changes have been made to plain lists since 7.01h. For example,
> your third point is definitely gone.
>
> You may upgrade to Org git version.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Nicolas

Nicolas,

Thanks for the response.

I don't keep up with the list too much, and have very limited elisp. So,
I've always been leery of being on the bleeding edge, especially with
software to which I entrust my most important data. But, I might screw
up my courage and give it a go.

Thanks again,

@ 2010-10-13  3:41   ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2010-10-13  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou said unto the world at 10-10-12 04:56 PM:
> Hello,

>> org-version: 7.01h emacs version: 23.1.1 ubuntu 10.04 I have not set
>> any org-mode variables that treat of plain lists.
>
> Many changes have been made to plain lists since 7.01h. For example,
> your third point is definitely gone.
>
> You may upgrade to Org git version.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Nicolas

Nicolas,

I gathered my courage and downloaded a development snapshot a few hours
ago. It seems that all three issues enumerated in my first message have
indeed been taken care of in the checkins between 7.01h and the snapshot
I have.

So, thanks.

Brian vdB