* [babel] Error with source block and variable on export - bug?
@ 2010-09-03  9:00 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-03  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

when I insert the following source block

#+begin_src sh :exports results :var
ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
  echo Revision $ver
#+end_src

into a svn (probably other VCs as well) registered file and execute it
via C-c C-c, it gives me the revision:

#+begin_src sh :exports results :var
ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
  echo Revision $ver
#+end_src

#+results:
: Revision 191

So when exporting, I would expect that it also prints "Revision 191",
but I get an error:

vc-file-getprop: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

Tangling the file with :var ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
as a header argument also works fine.

As the evaluation works, I assume that is a bug somewhere?

Cheers,

Rainer

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Tel:        +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +27 - (0)8 39 47 90 42
Fax (SA):   +27 - (0)8 65 16 27 82
Fax (D) :   +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
Fax (FR):   +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: [babel] Error with source block and variable on export - bug?
@ 2010-09-03 13:40 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-03 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

As part of the export process Org-mode copies the contents of the
Org-mode file to a temporary buffer in which the business of exportation
is performed.  This temporary buffer is not associated with any file so
(buffer-file-name) returns nil, which is causing the problem you are
experiencing.  I think the best solution would be to replace the call to
(buffer-file-name) with the actual name of the file, e.g.

#+begin_src sh :var file=(vc-working-revision "~/src/babel-dev/scraps.org") :exports results
  echo $file Revision
#+end_src

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2010-09-03 14:32   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-03 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 03/09/10 15:40, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> As part of the export process Org-mode copies the contents of the
> Org-mode file to a temporary buffer in which the business of exportation
> is performed.  This temporary buffer is not associated with any file so
> (buffer-file-name) returns nil, which is causing the problem you are
> experiencing.  I think the best solution would be to replace the call to
> (buffer-file-name) with the actual name of the file, e.g.
>
> #+begin_src sh :var file=(vc-working-revision "~/src/babel-dev/scraps.org") :exports results
>   echo $file Revision
> #+end_src

Hi Eric

thanks a lot for the clarification - that makes perfect sense. I will do
as suggested.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Cheers -- Eric
>
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> when I insert the following source block
>>
>> #+begin_src sh :exports results :var
>> ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
>>   echo Revision $ver
>> #+end_src
>>
>> into a svn (probably other VCs as well) registered file and execute it
>> via C-c C-c, it gives me the revision:
>>
>> #+begin_src sh :exports results :var
>> ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
>>   echo Revision $ver
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> : Revision 191
>>
>> So when exporting, I would expect that it also prints "Revision 191",
>> but I get an error:
>>
>> vc-file-getprop: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>>
>> Tangling the file with :var ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
>> as a header argument also works fine.
>>
>> As the evaluation works, I assume that is a bug somewhere?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rainer

- --

@ 2010-09-03 14:48     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-03 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 03/09/10 16:32, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> On 03/09/10 15:40, Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Hi Rainer,
>
>> As part of the export process Org-mode copies the contents of the
>> Org-mode file to a temporary buffer in which the business of exportation
>> is performed.  This temporary buffer is not associated with any file so
>> (buffer-file-name) returns nil, which is causing the problem you are
>> experiencing.  I think the best solution would be to replace the call to
>> (buffer-file-name) with the actual name of the file, e.g.
>
>> #+begin_src sh :var file=(vc-working-revision "~/src/babel-dev/scraps.org") :exports results
>>   echo $file Revision
>> #+end_src
>
> Hi Eric
>
> thanks a lot for the clarification - that makes perfect sense. I will do
> as suggested.

Thanks - it is working now.
But it is a little bit awkward to have the file name (incl. path)
somewhere in the document - can create some problems when renaming the
file or saving it somewhere else).
Is it possible to define it as a kind of variable (property?) in the
headers of the file and reference it in the org file later?

Rainer

> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

>> Cheers -- Eric
>
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> when I insert the following source block
>>>
>>> #+begin_src sh :exports results :var
>>> ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
>>>   echo Revision $ver
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> into a svn (probably other VCs as well) registered file and execute it
>>> via C-c C-c, it gives me the revision:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src sh :exports results :var
>>> ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
>>>   echo Revision $ver
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> #+results:
>>> : Revision 191
>>>
>>> So when exporting, I would expect that it also prints "Revision 191",
>>> but I get an error:
>>>
>>> vc-file-getprop: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>>>
>>> Tangling the file with :var ver=(vc-working-revision(buffer-file-name))
>>> as a header argument also works fine.
>>>
>>> As the evaluation works, I assume that is a bug somewhere?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Rainer

- --

@ 2010-09-03 15:05       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-03 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> On 03/09/10 16:32, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> On 03/09/10 15:40, Eric Schulte wrote:
>>> Hi Rainer,
>>
>>> As part of the export process Org-mode copies the contents of the
>>> Org-mode file to a temporary buffer in which the business of exportation
>>> is performed.  This temporary buffer is not associated with any file so
>>> (buffer-file-name) returns nil, which is causing the problem you are
>>> experiencing.  I think the best solution would be to replace the call to
>>> (buffer-file-name) with the actual name of the file, e.g.
>>
>>> #+begin_src sh :var file=(vc-working-revision "~/src/babel-dev/scraps.org") :exports results
>>>   echo $file Revision
>>> #+end_src
>>
>> Hi Eric
>>
>> thanks a lot for the clarification - that makes perfect sense. I will do
>> as suggested.
>
> Thanks - it is working now.
> But it is a little bit awkward to have the file name (incl. path)
> somewhere in the document - can create some problems when renaming the
> file or saving it somewhere else).
> Is it possible to define it as a kind of variable (property?) in the
> headers of the file and reference it in the org file later?

Oh,

I've just remembered that during export Org-mode saves this file-name
information in the temporary variable `org-current-export-file'.

So the following will work, even though it relies upon undocumented
internals of Org-mode which could change at some point.

#+begin_src sh :var file=(vc-working-revision (or (buffer-file-name) org-current-export-file)) :exports results
  echo $file Revision
#+end_src

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2010-09-03 17:51         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-09-03 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:05:24 -0600, "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Hi Eric
> >>
> >> thanks a lot for the clarification - that makes perfect sense. I will do
> >> as suggested.
> >
> > Thanks - it is working now.
> > But it is a little bit awkward to have the file name (incl. path)
> > somewhere in the document - can create some problems when renaming the
> > file or saving it somewhere else).
> > Is it possible to define it as a kind of variable (property?) in the
> > headers of the file and reference it in the org file later?
> >

> Oh,
>
> I've just remembered that during export Org-mode saves this file-name
> information in the temporary variable `org-current-export-file'.
>
> So the following will work, even though it relies upon undocumented
> internals of Org-mode which could change at some point.
>
> #+begin_src sh :var file=(vc-working-revision (or (buffer-file-name) org-current-export-file)) :exports results
>   echo $file Revision
> #+end_src
>
> Cheers -- Eric

And this works very well with an inline src snippet (tested with git
and RCS).  Very nice!

,----
| * revision control
|   The version of this file is
|    src_emacs-lisp{(vc-working-revision (or (buffer-file-name) org-current-: export-file))}.
`----

Thanks!

* Re: [babel] Error with source block and variable on export - bug?
@ 2010-09-04 15:05           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-04 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

On 03/09/10 19:51, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:05:24 -0600, "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Thanks - it is working now.
>>> But it is a little bit awkward to have the file name (incl. path)
>>> somewhere in the document - can create some problems when renaming the
>>> file or saving it somewhere else).
>>> Is it possible to define it as a kind of variable (property?) in the
>>> headers of the file and reference it in the org file later?
>>>

>> Oh,
>>
>> I've just remembered that during export Org-mode saves this file-name
>> information in the temporary variable `org-current-export-file'.
>>
>> So the following will work, even though it relies upon undocumented
>> internals of Org-mode which could change at some point.
>>
>> #+begin_src sh :var file=(vc-working-revision (or (buffer-file-name) org-current-export-file)) :exports results
>>   echo $file Revision
>> #+end_src
>>
>> Cheers -- Eric
>
> And this works very well with an inline src snippet (tested with git
> and RCS).  Very nice!

Thanks a lot Eric F. - that inline syntax was also something I was
looking for - I'll put it into my document on Monday morning.

Cheers,

Rainer

> ,----
> | * revision control
> |   The version of this file is
> |    src_emacs-lisp{(vc-working-revision (or (buffer-file-name) org-current-: export-file))}.
> `----
>
> Thanks!

- --