* 'Double-entry' journals
@ 2010-03-19  4:52 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-03-19  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm quite new to org-mode but am very excited about handling a lot of my
current notes/task issues. My current/previous setup:

- I use a modified TiddlyWIki and create daily journal entries like this:
--- Create tiddler (page) with the title being the day's date
--- Using the PartTiddlerPlugin, I surround notes for each unique project
with <part projectName>notes about project </part>
--- I have separate pages for each project where I can extract the notes in
between the respective tags using some TiddlyWiki scripts such that I look
for all journals tagged with projectX, print the title of that journal (the
date), and then print under it the notes between the <part> tags
--- In this way, I have both a chronological set of journal entries as well
as a running chronological set of entries for any specific project

- I was using features from Phil Hawksworth's Team Tasks (
http://getteamtasks.com/) TiddlyWiki features, but didn't really like
that... so recently I have been using Tracks (http://www.getontracks.org/),
a ruby on rails app.
--- The TiddlyWIki was just clumsy with respect to tracking the tasks. The
ability to link to a 'task' (which was really just a tiddly page) was great,
but the viewing was horrible...
--- Tracks has been pretty good, but I have to have my desktop running the
server so that I can log in from my laptop when I'm away at a meeting. Since
I can't seem to make it work with my database stored on my company network
share, I'm out of luck for keeping a central database for when my desktop is
down... also, when I need to reboot into Win (I usually am running linux)
for CAD work, my task server is offline which is never good.

So, enough rambling. I love the idea of org-mode to handle both aspects in
one place as well as all the other magic it can do (keep in mind I'm just
learning emacs as well!). Here's the questions:
- What solution/file structure would be recommended for the above?
--- Namely, I like the idea of daily journal entries so that I work in one
file per day (date.org) vs. many (proj1.org, proj2.org...). Is this not the
'org-way' (is it easier to keep a file per project)?
--- Can I make something (a headline and the notes below it) a
'double-entry' item? In other words, if I keep the file MainProject.org and
tag a bunch of headlines in my journals with MainProject, can I get those
items to also appear in MainProject.org without having to add them in both
places?

- Are there any other suggestions for how to do something like this? I'm new
and open to other better ways. I saw Carsten's presentation (not the Google
Tech talk one) and am somewhat against the idea of a huge, long file. I
guess if you can collapse it enough it's fine... but it just doesn't feel
right. I love my current method of just keeping a journal entry per day and
letting my TiddlyWiki code automatically update the project pages
accordingly. Starting with a way to replicate that functionality as well as
adding in the todos all in one place would hook me on org-mode for sure.

Best regards,
John

P.S. I was not sure what to search for in order to find out if there was an
implementation for this. I read under the manual about linking and did some
various searches regarding 'wiki-like' behavior for org-mode (as this felt
like what I'm perhaps trying to do), but nothing really seemed to apply to
this; mainly, nothing about having two 'snippets' mutually update one
another.