* Newbie question:  mobileorg and org-mode configuration
@ 2010-03-08  0:07 Neil Hepburn
From: Neil Hepburn @ 2010-03-08  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All

I am a new user to org-mode and was almost immediately hooked. (I'm also a relatively recent convert to emacs and Aquamacs.) I went out and fetched the mobileorg app for my iPod touch from the Apple appstore and now I'm rapidly losing what's left of my hair - doh!

Anyhow, I have org-mode working happily in Aqumacs emacs but I can't seem to get things to work with org-mobile.  Here's the basics of my setup

-my .org files reside in a folder on my iDisk so that I can sync them between my laptop and my desktop. That all works swell

-I have mobileorg on my iPod set to hit my idisk account and that works fine.

The problem I am having is figuring out the configuration stuff in my Preferences.el file. Here's a copy of the relevant section

(setq org-mobile-directory "/Volumes/nhepburn/org/stage/")
(setq org-mobile-files (quote("/Volumes/nhepburn/org/todo.org" "/Volumes/nhepburn/org/teaching.org" "/Volumes/nhepburn/org/research.org")))
(setq org-mobile-inbox-for-pull "/Volumes/nhepburn/org/transit.org")
(add-hook 'org-mobile-post-push-hook
(lambda () (shell-command "scp -r /Volumes/nhepburn/org/stage/* user@wdhost:mobile/")))
(add-hook 'org-mobile-pre-pull-hook
(lambda () (shell-command "scp user@wdhost:mobile/mobileorg.org /Volumes/nhepburn/org/stage/ ")))
(add-hook 'org-mobile-post-pull-hook
(lambda () (shell-command "scp /Volumes/nhepburn/org/stage/mobileorg.org user@wdhost:mobile/")))

my *.org files for org-mode reside in ../org/ while the mobile files reside in ../org/stage/

I've scoured the Org-mobile manual, trolled through the mailing list archive, and spent countless hours doing google searches. Can someone suggest the right bit of stuff to put in here and then how to make org-mode in Aquamacs push to and pull from my mobileorg stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Neil

* Re: Newbie question:  mobileorg and org-mode configuration
@ 2010-03-08  0:13 ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-03-08  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Neil,

Hope I can shed some light on the configuration for you:

- You shouldn't need to set org-mobile-files, afaik.  If you just define
org-agenda-files, those files will be used (one less thing to maintain).

- You don't need the pre/post hooks at all.  In your case, just copying
the files to /Volumes/nhepburn/org/state/ is enough to put them on the
server.  (Well, sort of.. eventually it's up to OSX to sync that folder
with your iDisk, but that should be automatic, or can be configured to
be so).  The hooks are for those who need an additional step to copy the
staged files from their local system to a remote server.

I think this may be good enough, you were almost there.  Let me know if
you have trouble after making these changes.

-Richard