* [babel] tangle creates different filename than it used to
@ 2010-02-26 16:41 "Martin G. Skjæveland"
From: "Martin G. Skjæveland" @ 2010-02-26 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

running tangle with the following values

   #+begin_src xml :tangle test.rdf
   #+end_src

used to create a file called test.rdf. However, after a fresh git pull
today this now tangles to the file test.rdf.xml, which is not what I want.

I think I could add rdf as a language babel would understand but
interpret as xml with something like

   (add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("rdf" "xml" nil t))

and rewrite the block to

   #+begin_src rdf :tangle test
   #+end_src

, but then it complains that there is no rdf-mode. How can I best solve
this?

Thanks!

Martin

* Re: [babel] tangle creates different filename than it used to
@ 2010-02-27  5:20 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-02-27  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin G. Skjæveland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Martin G. Skjæveland" <martige@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Hi,
>
> running tangle with the following values
>
>   #+begin_src xml :tangle test.rdf
>   #+end_src
>
> used to create a file called test.rdf. However, after a fresh git pull
> today this now tangles to the file test.rdf.xml, which is not what I
> want.

I understand. I wonder if babel should simply assume that the user has
entered a file name with the correct extension when :tangle is something
other than "yes".

> I think I could add rdf as a language babel would understand but
> interpret as xml with something like
>
>   (add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("rdf" "xml" nil t))

To tell it to use extension .rdf for rdf blocks would be

(add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("rdf" "rdf" nil t))

and you'll also need

(org-babel-add-interpreter "rdf")

> and rewrite the block to
>
>   #+begin_src rdf :tangle test
>   #+end_src
>
> , but then it complains that there is no rdf-mode. How can I best
> solve this?

To tell org to use sgml-mode for rdf:

(add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes '("rdf" . sgml))

Dan

@ 2010-03-01 11:03   ` "Martin G. Skjæveland"
From: "Martin G. Skjæveland" @ 2010-03-01 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison wrote:
> "Martin G. Skjæveland" <martige@ifi.uio.no> writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> running tangle with the following values
>>
>>   #+begin_src xml :tangle test.rdf
>>   #+end_src
>>
>> used to create a file called test.rdf. However, after a fresh git pull
>> today this now tangles to the file test.rdf.xml, which is not what I
>> want.
>
> I understand. I wonder if babel should simply assume that the user has
> entered a file name with the correct extension when :tangle is something
> other than "yes".

I would prefer such a solution. Why? The generic answer is that I would
like to name my files myself, and, less generally---as we see in this
case, the extension of a file does not always tell the language used to
produce the file, e.g., rdf files may be written in xml or in n3, which
is not xml. I would like to specify different editing modes for the same
file extension.

>> I think I could add rdf as a language babel would understand but
>> interpret as xml with something like
>>
>>   (add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("rdf" "xml" nil t))
>
> To tell it to use extension .rdf for rdf blocks would be
>
> (add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("rdf" "rdf" nil t))
>
> and you'll also need
>
> (org-babel-add-interpreter "rdf")
>
>> and rewrite the block to
>>
>>   #+begin_src rdf :tangle test
>>   #+end_src
>>
>> , but then it complains that there is no rdf-mode. How can I best
>> solve this?
>
> To tell org to use sgml-mode for rdf:
>
> (add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes '("rdf" . sgml))

Thanks! This works just fine.

Martin