* changing the time of one instance of a recurring appointment
@ 2010-02-12 19:15 Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-02-12 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I did not see this addressed in the manual or FAQ.

Say I have a recurring appointment, every third Monday of the month, at
11:30 AM, no problem:

** Monthly meeting with Boss <%%(diary-float t 1 3)>11:30

Now, my boss emails me and says, let's change next week's meeting to
10:30.  How would you handle that?  Just simply change the 11:30 to
10:30 and remember to change it back next week?  Add a new one-off
appointment for 10:30 that day and ignore the 11:30 one on your agenda?
  Or is there some way to do this built into org-mode already?

Thanks a lot!
Erik Iverson

* Re: changing the time of one instance of a recurring appointment
@ 2010-02-16  1:54 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-02-16  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I did not see this addressed in the manual or FAQ.
>
> Say I have a recurring appointment, every third Monday of the month,
> at 11:30 AM, no problem:
>
> ** Monthly meeting with Boss <%%(diary-float t 1 3)>11:30
>
> Now, my boss emails me and says, let's change next week's meeting to
> 10:30.  How would you handle that?  Just simply change the 11:30 to
> 10:30 and remember to change it back next week?  Add a new one-off
> appointment for 10:30 that day and ignore the 11:30 one on your
> agenda? Or is there some way to do this built into org-mode already?

For these types of meetings I use org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift (C-c
C-x c) to copy the entry and shift the date ahead appropriately.  This
creates separate tasks for each meeting and I'm free to move individual
tasks around as required.

HTH,
Bernt