* very small font in column view mode
@ 2010-02-09  6:49 Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2010-02-09  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

I have been using Org-mode for three years now and everything worked so
perfect or was explained to excruciating detail in the manual that I never
had to write to the mailing list with a question.  However, as the usage
scenario of Org-mode expands (and in fact threatens to take over most of my
life), it seems that I finally arrived at a murky area:

When entering column-view mode, all of a sudden the font for the item to be
displayed becomes very small.  I see a header list for the columns at the
top of the file in normal size, but the item itself is barely readibly, such
a tiny font has been chosen.  I looked all over the place for any suspects,
but could not identify any.  What might be the reason and what kind of cure
is necessary to overcome this problem?

Any help appreciated,

Chris

P.S. And before I forget:  Many thanks to Carsten Dominik and the whole Org
community for such a marvelous tool!

--
 Christian Wittern, Kyoto

* Re: very small font in column view mode
@ 2010-02-09  9:16 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-02-09  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Wittern; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Christian,

> When entering column-view mode, all of a sudden the font for the item to be
> displayed becomes very small.
 well, I did M-x describe-fontset, so I *think* my fonts are:

 -outline-Courier New-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-fontset-startup

and I don't have such problem.

Are you referring to agenda column view?

cheers,
Giovanni

P.S.
> I have been using Org-mode for three years now and everything worked so
> perfect or was explained to excruciating detail in the manual that I never
> had to write to the mailing list with a question.

this captatio benevolentiae went directly to my fortunes! :-)
or it may also go to the worg quotation page

orgmode.org/worg/org-quotes

* Re: very small font in column view mode
@ 2010-02-09 10:19   ` Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2010-02-09 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Giovanni,

On 2010-02-09 18:16, Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:
> Christian Wittern<cwittern@gmail.com>  writes:
>

>> When entering column-view mode, all of a sudden the font for the item to be
>> displayed becomes very small.
>>
>   well, I did M-x describe-fontset, so I *think* my fonts are:
>
>   -outline-Courier New-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-fontset-startup

For me, the same would be

Fontset: -*-Monaco-normal-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-m-0-fontset-auto1

If I say C-u C-x = on other parts of the buffer, I get a font like this

     mac-ct:-*-Monaco-normal-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x26)

but on column-view lines, I get

     mac-ct:-*-Monaco-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x0D)

which is much smaller than what I am used to.

BTW, I forgot to say, this is Emacs 23 on a Mac .

> Are you referring to agenda column view?

No, my use case is more along the CD database in the manual, except that
I am working on a catalog of texts.  Occasional it is useful to get an
overview by displaying all entries in a table, hence I got interested in
column-view.

All the best,

Christian

* Re: very small font in column view mode
@ 2010-02-09 10:42     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-09 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Wittern; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christian,

for a possible solution, please study the docstring of the face org-
column.

- Carsten

On Feb 9, 2010, at 11:19 AM, Christian Wittern wrote:

> Hi Giovanni,
>

> On 2010-02-09 18:16, Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:
>> Christian Wittern<cwittern@gmail.com>  writes:
>>

>>> When entering column-view mode, all of a sudden the font for the
>>> item to be
>>> displayed becomes very small.
>>>
>>  well, I did M-x describe-fontset, so I *think* my fonts are:
>>
>>  -outline-Courier New-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-
>> fontset-startup
>>

> For me, the same would be
>
> Fontset: -*-Monaco-normal-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-m-0-fontset-auto1
>

> If I say C-u C-x = on other parts of the buffer, I get a font like
> this
>
>    mac-ct:-*-Monaco-normal-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
> (#x26)
>
> but on column-view lines, I get
>
>    mac-ct:-*-Monaco-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
> (#x0D)
>
> which is much smaller than what I am used to.
>
> BTW, I forgot to say, this is Emacs 23 on a Mac .
>

>> Are you referring to agenda column view?
>>

> No, my use case is more along the CD database in the manual, except
> that I am working on a catalog of texts.  Occasional it is useful to
> get an overview by displaying all entries in a table, hence I got
> interested in column-view.
>
> All the best,
>
> Christian

- Carsten

* Re: very small font in column view mode
@ 2010-02-09 11:12       ` Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2010-02-09 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2010-02-09 19:42, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> for a possible solution, please study the docstring of the face
> org-column.
A wonderful, this is exactly what I need.  And it might be that
something, maybe a color-theme, inadvertly had changed this, because
customize tells me that it had been changed outside of customize.  So it
might be that the culprit was not Org-mode at all?  I have to admit I
don't really understand what's going on, except that my problem is
solved now.  Hurray!

Christian