* Must less available colors under text-mode
@ 2009-09-24 21:43 Jing Su @ Gmail
From: Jing Su @ Gmail @ 2009-09-24 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I realized that under text-mode only 8 colors are available for
org-faces, in contrast that all colors defined in rgb.txt are available
in graphic mode.

It looks that all other colors are mapped into one of the 8 colors:
black, blue, cyan, green, magenta, red, white, or yellow.

E.g., when I set ``DarkGoldenrod''  by

          (custom-set-faces  '(org-level-1 ((t (:foreground
"DarkGoldenrod" :weight bold)))))

and check org-faces, under Org Level 1 face => Attributes => Foreground
=> Color, the text ``sample'' at the end of the same line shows correct
color, but the text ``sample'' in the same line with ``Org Level 1
face'' is yellow, and org-mode actually used ``yellow''. Same thing for
other colors.

I cannot use Customize Group => org-faces to set any color other than
the 8 mentioned above.

Please also refer to the attached screen snap.

I was wondering if more colors can be activated under text-mode.

Thanks a lot!

Jing

Jing Su
PhD, Biomedical Engineering
Georgia Tech & Emory University
Email: JingSu@gatech.edu

[-- Attachment #2: org-mode-color-prob.JPG --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 161729 bytes --]

* Re: Must less available colors under text-mode
@ 2009-09-25 16:01 ` Suresh Kumar
       [not found]   ` <4ABD9CB3.3030106@gmail.com>
From: Suresh Kumar @ 2009-09-25 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jing Su @ Gmail; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:43:08 -0400,
Jing Su @ Gmail wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> Dear all,
>
> I realized that under text-mode only 8 colors are available for
> org-faces, in contrast that all colors defined in rgb.txt are available
> in graphic mode.
What does M-x list-colors-display say?

@ 2009-09-27 15:19     ` Suresh Kumar
From: Suresh Kumar @ 2009-09-27 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

At Sat, 26 Sep 2009 00:46:43 -0400,
Jing Su @ Gmail wrote:

> Under text-mode:
>
> black                 black
> red                   red
> green                 green
> yellow                yellow
> blue                  blue
> magenta               magenta
> cyan                  cyan
> white                 white

Looks like your TERM is not exported properly.

This works for me.
,----
| TERM=xterm-256color emacs -nw -q -f list-colors-display
`----

See here more details
http://www.xvx.ca/~awg/emacs-colors-howto.txt

@ 2009-09-28 16:35       ` Jing Su @ Gmail
From: Jing Su @ Gmail @ 2009-09-28 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suresh Kumar; +Cc: org-mode

Thanks a lot!

It turns out that for Emacs 21.4 on RHEL5 there is no xterm-256color.el
at all. As instructed by the link you sent me, I downloaded the
xterm-256color.el from

http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/src/term/xterm-256color.el

and copied it into /usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/term/, then

      TERM=xterm-256color emacs -nw -q -f list-colors-display

shows much more colors, so does it under org-mode.

Thank you very much, Suresh!

Best,

Jing