* Habit setup help needed
@ 2012-09-18 21:30 Robert Horn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Horn @ 2012-09-18 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

I'm trying to get some habits set up that have a regular time window
during which I should do them.  The habits are being created and
somewhat maintained, but the habit bars are not acting the way that I
expected.

In the org file I have:

*** HABIT [#A] Weekly GTD review [0/9] 				       :home:
    DEADLINE: <2012-09-21 Fri ++1w> SCHEDULED: <2012-09-17 Mon ++1w>
     :LOGBOOK:
     - State "DONE"       from "HABIT"      [2012-09-14 Fri 09:00]
     :END:
     :PROPERTIES:
     :STYLE: habit
     :LOGGING: DONE(!)
     :END:

In the agenda, I get the habit bar.  The habit bar text is copied below,
but colors don't copy. It's red until the asterisk.  The asterisk is the
completion that is logged for 14 September.  It's blue until the
exclaimation point (18 September), then it has a red background, and the
future is red.  This is captured on Tuesday, 18 september.

 Habit:      HABIT [#A] Weekly GTD revi   *   !                          :home:

I thought that it should be blue from the asterisk until monday, because
that is the completed period.  Then I expected green until friday,
because that's the interval from scheduled start work until the
deadline.  Then I expected red for the time past the deadline.

What is the right changes to make to get that effect?  I'm trying to
capture that something should be done once per week, on a weekday.

R Horn
rjhorn@alum.mit.edu

* Macro and babel
@ 2012-09-19  0:54 ` tony day
From: tony day @ 2012-09-19  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

I had written this:

,----
| #+MACRO: testdir ~/working
| #+begin_src sh
|   cd  {{{testdir}}}
| #+end_src
`----

Thinking it would do this:

,----
| #+begin_src sh
|   cd ~/working
| #+end_src
`----
Alas, #+Macro acts on export only.

Is there a quick way to effect general text substitution on C-c C-c?  That would be an awesome feature, basically adding macro capabilities to every babelable language.  Or am I missing something?

Tony

* Re: Macro and babel
@ 2012-09-19  6:54   ` Sean O'Halpin
From: Sean O'Halpin @ 2012-09-19  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tony day; +Cc: Org-mode

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM, tony day <zygomega@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had written this:
>
> ,----
> | #+MACRO: testdir ~/working
> | #+begin_src sh
> |   cd  {{{testdir}}}
> | #+end_src
> `----
>
> Thinking it would do this:
>
> ,----
> | #+begin_src sh
> |   cd ~/working
> | #+end_src
> `----
> Alas, #+Macro acts on export only.
>
> Is there a quick way to effect general text substitution on C-c C-c?  That would be an awesome feature, basically adding macro capabilities to every babelable language.  Or am I missing something?
>

> Tony

Here's a somewhat roundabout way of achieving something similar:

#+BEGIN_ORG

#+NAME: test-dir2
#+BEGIN_SRC sh :var dir="." :results output org :exports none
echo "
,#+begin_src sh
cd $dir
,#+end_src
"
#+END_SRC

#+CALL: test-dir2(dir="~/org") :results value raw :exports both

#+CALL: test-dir2(dir="/var/www/") :results value raw :exports both

#+END_ORG

HTH,
Sean

* Re: Habit setup help needed
@ 2012-09-19  8:01 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-19  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Horn; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi robert,

Robert Horn <rjhorn@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> It's blue until the
> exclaimation point (18 September), then it has a red background, and the
> future is red.  This is captured on Tuesday, 18 september.
>
>  Habit:      HABIT [#A] Weekly GTD revi   *   !                          :home:

(Providing a small screenshot will make it easier to get this idea?)

> I thought that it should be blue from the asterisk until monday, because
> that is the completed period.  Then I expected green until friday,
> because that's the interval from scheduled start work until the
> deadline.  Then I expected red for the time past the deadline.
>
> What is the right changes to make to get that effect?  I'm trying to
> capture that something should be done once per week, on a weekday.

I'm not into habits very much, perhaps John and/or others might reply.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Habit setup help needed
@ 2012-09-19 10:55   ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2012-09-19 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org-mode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>>  Habit:      HABIT [#A] Weekly GTD revi   *   !                          :home:

[-- Attachment #2: Habit example --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 7283 bytes --]

Is what it looks like (a day later).

R Horn
rjhorn@alum.mit.edu

* Re: Habit setup help needed
@ 2012-09-20 11:14 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2012-09-20 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Robert Horn <rjhorn@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> *** HABIT [#A] Weekly GTD review [0/9] 				       :home:
>     DEADLINE: <2012-09-21 Fri ++1w> SCHEDULED: <2012-09-17 Mon ++1w>
>      :LOGBOOK:
>      - State "DONE"       from "HABIT"      [2012-09-14 Fri 09:00]

> I thought that it should be blue from the asterisk until monday, because
> that is the completed period.

I think the consistency bar is only fully functional with timestamps
of the format <2012-09-13 Do .+7d/10d> : You need a minimum/maximum range.

Memnon

* Re: Habit setup help needed
@ 2012-09-20 14:40   ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2012-09-20 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon, emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> I think the consistency bar is only fully functional with timestamps
> of the format <2012-09-13 Do .+7d/10d> : You need a minimum/maximum range.

Thank you.  That was the clue I needed.  I hadn't made the connection
between schedule repeat intervals and deadlines in habits.  So I was expecting
task  deadlines to cover that.

I suggest adding the following to item 5. in the habit documentation:

  A weekly report that must be filed during the following work week
  could be described with "SCHEDULED: <2012-09-24 Mon +1w/12d>".

Have I understood this correctly?  It works for the habits that I'm
testing, but I haven't figured out the code to be sure that this covers
the edge cases properly.

Assuming that this is correct, perhaps the info section on dates and
times should note that the habit option extends the scheduled time
notation.  That will catch folks who go to that section directly.

Alternatively, a more radical change would be to change habits to use
scheduled and deadline in the same sense that they are used elsewhere:
scheduled means should start at this time, deadline means should
complete at this time.  That would affect all current users.  Is there
an extra capability that this notation adds?

R Horn
rjhorn@alum.mit.edu