* suggestion: options for chronological agenda
@ 2009-09-26  5:02 Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2009-09-26  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I often need to find recently modified entries.   I try to timestamp
entries I work on with the active timestamps
(in angular brackets), and use the C-x a L command.   This mostly
works, but is imperfect:
    - when i use time logging, it inserts "inactive" timestamps that
are not found this way.   so, i can't use this to find
    "recently worked on" entries.
    - it looks at the _first_ timestamp in an entry, rather than the
_last_ timestamp
    - it is limited to one file .   would be much better if it could
be made to work across the entire agenda.
    - it would be fine to have the option to limit it to entries
within the last, say, week, if that would speed it up.

The suggestion is to enhance the timeline agenda with options to:
   - recognize "inactive" timestamps ([in square brackets])
   - use last, rather than first, timestamp in an entry
   - search the entire agenda, rather than just the current file
   - limit the agenda to entries within the last (say) week.

The timeview agenda was of course originally designed for another use
case -- as a personal calendar/diary.
But I'm finding myself repeatedly using it this way: organize the
entries by hierarchical subject, and use the timeline
agenda to generate a chronological listing.

It would also be _really_ great if the chronological listing could be
filtered to contain only entries matching a certain
tag/property query.   Then you could e.g. get a chronological list of
"important" entries, or entries on a certain
subject.

ilya

* Re: suggestion: options for chronological agenda
@ 2009-09-26 11:57 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-09-26 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Shlyakhter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I often need to find recently modified entries. I try to timestamp
> entries I work on with the active timestamps (in angular brackets),
> and use the C-x a L command. This mostly works, but is imperfect:

>     - when i use time logging, it inserts "inactive" timestamps that
> are not found this way. so, i can't use this to find "recently worked
> on" entries.

I believe that's because org-mode, in general, treats active timestamps
as scheduling data -- i.e., things you need to do. I.e., it is optimized
for using inactive timestamps to indicate "recently worked on" items.

>     - it looks at the _first_ timestamp in an entry, rather than the
> _last_ timestamp

Could you give an example? When I try C-c a L, it creates separate
instances for each timestamp in an entry.

E.g., the following file...

* A test
<2009-09-25 Fri>
<2009-09-26 Sat>

becomes...

Friday     25 September 2009
  A test
Saturday   26 September 2009
  A test

>     - it is limited to one file .   would be much better if it could
> be made to work across the entire agenda.
>     - it would be fine to have the option to limit it to entries
> within the last, say, week, if that would speed it up.

Depending on whether or not Carsten decides to change the behavior of
the timeline view ;) , you could always use a custom agenda command to
accomplish the same thing.

> The suggestion is to enhance the timeline agenda with options to:
>    - recognize "inactive" timestamps ([in square brackets])

See the variable org-agenda-inactive-timestamps.

> It would also be _really_ great if the chronological listing could be
> filtered to contain only entries matching a certain tag/property
> query.

Try filtering the timeline with "/".

Best,
Matt

* Re: suggestion: options for chronological agenda
@ 2009-09-26 12:52   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-09-26 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Ilya Shlyakhter, emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>

>> The suggestion is to enhance the timeline agenda with options to:
>>    - recognize "inactive" timestamps ([in square brackets])
>
> See the variable org-agenda-inactive-timestamps.

Correction. This should read org-agenda-include-inactive-timestamps.

- Matt

* Re: suggestion: options for chronological agenda
@ 2009-09-28 20:10 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-28 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Shlyakhter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ilya,

have you tried

   C-a a    to get the agenda,

and then

   v [

to include inactive time stamps?

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2009-09-29  2:54   ` Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2009-09-29  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ah, didn't know about that.   Things have changed since I last read
the full manual :)
Thanks for help!

ilya