* Hiding #+XXX lines
@ 2009-05-21 21:41 Keith Lancaster
From: Keith Lancaster @ 2009-05-21 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I'm quite new to org-mode, and have only recently begun using emacs
again (after an absence of 15 years or so..) so excuse the newbie
question...

Is it possible to hide, during normal editing, the configuration /
comment lines in a project file?

TIA,
Keith Lancaster
klancaster1957@mac.com

* Re: Hiding #+XXX lines
@ 2009-05-22 20:35 ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2009-05-22 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: org-mode

As Keith Lancaster so eloquently wrote on 5/21/2009 2:41 PM:
> Is it possible to hide, during normal editing, the configuration /
> comment lines in a project file?

I put my entire top-of-the-file configuration in a property drawer.  It
can obviously be expanded on demand, but otherwise is not expanded (ie,
when I load the file).

My .emacs has this (from Custom):
(custom-set-variables
  '(org-drawers (quote ("PROPERTIES" "SETUP" "LOGBOOK"))))

The my .org file has this at the top (for example):
:SETUP:
#+STARTUP:   hidestars odd lognoteclock-out lognotedone
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+CATEGORY:  PROJECTS
#+TYP_TODO:  TODO(t/@) INPROGRESS(i@/@)| CANCELED(C@/@) DONE(D@/@)
#+FILETAGS:  Work
:END:

Dan

* Re: Hiding #+XXX lines
@ 2009-05-22 21:03   ` Michael Mrozek
From: Michael Mrozek @ 2009-05-22 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Daniel J. Sinder wrote:
> As Keith Lancaster so eloquently wrote on 5/21/2009 2:41 PM:
>> Is it possible to hide, during normal editing, the configuration /
>> comment lines in a project file?
>
> I put my entire top-of-the-file configuration in a property drawer.
> It can obviously be expanded on demand, but otherwise is not expanded
> (ie, when I load the file).
>
> My .emacs has this (from Custom):
> (custom-set-variables
>  '(org-drawers (quote ("PROPERTIES" "SETUP" "LOGBOOK"))))
>
> The my .org file has this at the top (for example):
> :SETUP:
> #+STARTUP:   hidestars odd lognoteclock-out lognotedone
> #+LANGUAGE:  en
> #+CATEGORY:  PROJECTS
> #+TYP_TODO:  TODO(t/@) INPROGRESS(i@/@)| CANCELED(C@/@) DONE(D@/@)
> #+FILETAGS:  Work
> :END:
>
> Dan

I have a top-level headline at the end of my file named "Config" that's
tagged with ARCHIVE so it gets grayed out and doesn't open
automatically; I don't even notice it anymore

* Re: Hiding #+XXX lines
@ 2009-05-22 21:12     ` Keith Lancaster
From: Keith Lancaster @ 2009-05-22 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Thanks to both of you! I'll give each a try and see which works for
me. On this topic generally, I am using separate files for each
project. So far, I've been copying text similar to that below to each
new project, but given the breadth of org-mode, I'm guessing that I'm
"doing it wrong". How do you handle this?

Keith

@ 2009-05-22 22:33       ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2009-05-22 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: org-mode

As Keith Lancaster so eloquently wrote on 5/22/2009 2:12 PM:
> Thanks to both of you! I'll give each a try and see which works for me.
> On this topic generally, I am using separate files for each project. So
> far, I've been copying text similar to that below to each new project,
> but given the breadth of org-mode, I'm guessing that I'm "doing it
> wrong". How do you handle this?

Look up '#+SETUPFILE' in the the 'Concept Index' of the manual.  I think
that is what you are looking for.

Dan