* Setting org-log-into-drawer in a property
@ 2009-05-19  5:54 Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2009-05-19  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Most of my tasks have only one state change (TODO->DONE), so I like to
be able to quickly see my log notes by fully expanding all headings in a
sub-tree.  Thus, I do NOT use the LOGBOOK property.

However, for repeating items the list of log entries can get quite long.
  If I fully expand a sub-tree with a repeating task, the log notes push
the rest of the tree off the screen.  I'd rather if *only* repeating
tasks (and perhaps select other tasks) used the LOGBOOK property to keep
the log notes hidden in a drawer.

This brings me to my question and possible feature request.  The LOGGING
property allows us to set logging preference on a sub-tree basis.  Is it
possible to set the value of org-log-into-drawer on a sub-tree basis,
either via the LOGGING property or some other property?  If not, would
it be possible to add this capability?

Thanks,
Dan

* Re: Setting org-log-into-drawer in a property
@ 2009-05-19  8:38 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-19  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 19, 2009, at 7:54 AM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> Most of my tasks have only one state change (TODO->DONE), so I like
> to be able to quickly see my log notes by fully expanding all
> headings in a sub-tree.  Thus, I do NOT use the LOGBOOK property.
>
> However, for repeating items the list of log entries can get quite
> long.  If I fully expand a sub-tree with a repeating task, the log
> notes push the rest of the tree off the screen.  I'd rather if
> *only* repeating tasks (and perhaps select other tasks) used the
> LOGBOOK property to keep the log notes hidden in a drawer.
>
> This brings me to my question and possible feature request.  The
> LOGGING property allows us to set logging preference on a sub-tree
> basis.  Is it possible to set the value of org-log-into-drawer on a
> sub-tree basis, either via the LOGGING property or some other
> property?  If not, would it be possible to add this capability?

That does make sense.

Please use the new LOG_INTO_DRAWER property for this purpose.

- Carsten

* Re: Setting org-log-into-drawer in a property
@ 2009-05-20  5:56   ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2009-05-20  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

As Carsten Dominik so eloquently wrote on 5/19/2009 1:38 AM:

> On May 19, 2009, at 7:54 AM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:
>
>> Most of my tasks have only one state change (TODO->DONE), so I like
>> to be able to quickly see my log notes by fully expanding all
>> headings in a sub-tree.  Thus, I do NOT use the LOGBOOK property.
>>
>> However, for repeating items the list of log entries can get quite
>> long.  If I fully expand a sub-tree with a repeating task, the log
>> notes push the rest of the tree off the screen.  I'd rather if *only*
>> repeating tasks (and perhaps select other tasks) used the LOGBOOK
>> property to keep the log notes hidden in a drawer.
>>
>> This brings me to my question and possible feature request.  The
>> LOGGING property allows us to set logging preference on a sub-tree
>> basis.  Is it possible to set the value of org-log-into-drawer on a
>> sub-tree basis, either via the LOGGING property or some other
>> property?  If not, would it be possible to add this capability?
>
> That does make sense.
>
> Please use the new LOG_INTO_DRAWER property for this purpose.
>
> - Carsten

Carsten,

I subscribed to this list in April '06, and I remember suggesting the
logging feature later that year
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/612).  The next release
(version 4.50) included logging.  Incredibly, three years later, despite
the explosive growth of orgmode and its community of users & developers,
you still implemented my feature request (coincidentally related to
logging) within a day!

Three years ago, I eagerly absorbed each new feature.  Now, although I'm
still an avid user of orgmode, the growth in my personal use lags behind
the pace of development, and there are many new features that I have not
even touched.  In fact, I often can't even keep up with the volume of
this list.  Yet, the new features have little or no impact on the
features I do use, even though I keep my version nearly at the bleeding
edge via git.  This is just great software design and management!

Anyway, this is my way of saying a profound "thank you" for a great tool
and superb support.

@ 2009-05-20  6:04   ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2009-05-20  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

As Carsten Dominik so eloquently wrote on 5/19/2009 1:38 AM:

> On May 19, 2009, at 7:54 AM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:
>
>> Most of my tasks have only one state change (TODO->DONE), so I like
>> to be able to quickly see my log notes by fully expanding all
>> headings in a sub-tree.  Thus, I do NOT use the LOGBOOK property.
>>
>> However, for repeating items the list of log entries can get quite
>> long.  If I fully expand a sub-tree with a repeating task, the log
>> notes push the rest of the tree off the screen.  I'd rather if *only*
>> repeating tasks (and perhaps select other tasks) used the LOGBOOK
>> property to keep the log notes hidden in a drawer.
>>
>> This brings me to my question and possible feature request.  The
>> LOGGING property allows us to set logging preference on a sub-tree
>> basis.  Is it possible to set the value of org-log-into-drawer on a
>> sub-tree basis, either via the LOGGING property or some other
>> property?  If not, would it be possible to add this capability?
>
> That does make sense.
>
> Please use the new LOG_INTO_DRAWER property for this purpose.
>
> - Carsten

(Being more precise (see *emphasis*) to avoid claiming credit for
something I had nothing to do with....)

Carsten,

I subscribed to this list in April '06, and I remember suggesting the
*note* logging feature later that year
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/612).  The next release
(version 4.50) included *note* logging.  Incredibly, three years later,

@ 2009-05-20  7:46     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-20  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Daniel,

On May 20, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> As Carsten Dominik so eloquently wrote on 5/19/2009 1:38 AM:
>>
>> On May 19, 2009, at 7:54 AM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:
>>
>>> Most of my tasks have only one state change (TODO->DONE), so I
>>> like to be able to quickly see my log notes by fully expanding all
>>> headings in a sub-tree.  Thus, I do NOT use the LOGBOOK property.
>>>
>>> However, for repeating items the list of log entries can get quite
>>> long.  If I fully expand a sub-tree with a repeating task, the log
>>> notes push the rest of the tree off the screen.  I'd rather if
>>> *only* repeating tasks (and perhaps select other tasks) used the
>>> LOGBOOK property to keep the log notes hidden in a drawer.
>>>
>>> This brings me to my question and possible feature request.  The
>>> LOGGING property allows us to set logging preference on a sub-tree
>>> basis.  Is it possible to set the value of org-log-into-drawer on
>>> a sub-tree basis, either via the LOGGING property or some other
>>> property?  If not, would it be possible to add this capability?
>>
>> That does make sense.
>>
>> Please use the new LOG_INTO_DRAWER property for this purpose.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>
> Carsten,
>
> I subscribed to this list in April '06, and I remember suggesting
> the logging feature later that year (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/612
> ).  The next release (version 4.50) included logging.  Incredibly,
> three years later, despite the explosive growth of orgmode and its
> community of users & developers, you still implemented my feature
> request (coincidentally related to logging) within a day!
>
> Three years ago, I eagerly absorbed each new feature.  Now, although
> I'm still an avid user of orgmode, the growth in my personal use
> lags behind the pace of development, and there are many new features
> that I have not even touched.  In fact, I often can't even keep up
> with the volume of this list.

> Yet, the new features have little or no impact on the features I do
> use, even though I keep my version nearly at the bleeding edge via
> git.

I am glad you say this, because when we fail to make the simple core
survive, we will have lost our way.

> This is just great software design and management!
>
> Anyway, this is my way of saying a profound "thank you" for a great
> tool and superb support.

Thank you for your nice words.

- Carsten