* Re: Re: Two questions about latex export
@ 2009-04-28  8:06 Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-04-28  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Robert Goldman

--- Lun 27/4/09, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> ha scritto:
> > 1.  I am making a table of conditional
> > probabilities.  This means the
> > table headers look like this: p(e|\omega), for
> > example.  The vbar in the
> > header confuses orgmode.  It thinks that's a
> > column-delimiter.

\vert

> > more importantly:
> >
> > 2.  I put an eqnarray* environment in my org
> > file.

#+BEGIN_LaTeX

\begin{eqnarray}
\label{integralpha293}

\alpha=\Gamma

\end{eqnarray}

#+END_LaTeX

cheers,

Giovanni

* Re: Re: Two questions about latex export
@ 2009-04-28 13:46 ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2009-04-28 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:
> --- Lun 27/4/09, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> ha scritto:
>>> 1.  I am making a table of conditional
>>> probabilities.  This means the
>>> table headers look like this: p(e|\omega), for
>>> example.  The vbar in the
>>> header confuses orgmode.  It thinks that's a
>>> column-delimiter.
>
> \vert

Thanks!  That fixed my problem!  Strangely, \vert doesn't appear in The
Latex Companion (or at least not in its index).

>>> more importantly:
>>>
>>> 2.  I put an eqnarray* environment in my org
>>> file.
>
> #+BEGIN_LaTeX
>
> \begin{eqnarray}
> \label{integralpha293}
>
> \alpha=\Gamma
>
> \end{eqnarray}
>
> #+END_LaTeX

Two answers:

1.  eqnarray *without* the BEGIN and END blocks works.  I believe that
this is because org-mode "knows" eqnarray, but not eqnarray*.  I am
inclined to think that this is a buglet, and we should put support for
eqnarray* into org-mode.

2.  I don't believe that the BEGIN and END blocks approach is
equivalent.  If I understand correctly, the use of these BEGIN and END
blocks says "put this in only when I am exporting to Latex."  From the
manual: "...you can add special code
that should only be present in LaTeX export with the following
constructs: [#+LaTeX and #+BEGIN_LaTeX ... #+END_LaTeX]."

Adding those delimiters changes the meaning of my document.  *Without*
those delimiters, my equation goes in an HTML or ASCII export (in some
form); with those delimiters, the equation will only be exported when
exporting to LaTeX....

Best,
Robert