* C-k keystroke kills the subtree
@ 2009-04-25 10:47 Dmitry Prokashev
From: Dmitry Prokashev @ 2009-04-25 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello there.

I'm using org-mode for a several months and recently a sad thing
happened with me. I suddenly found that a subtree where I look into
rather rarely, but the information there is quite important,
disappeared. Obviously I have stroked C-k while the point was located
on the collapsed tree, and whole my tree disappeared and I did not
even noticed that. When I found there is no subtree, it was already
too late to restore it: there was no such change in undo history and
probably I have removed that subtree in one of my previous emacs
sessions.

Probably its a good idea to review C-k behaviour in org mode. It may
remove a single line (subtree header), expand the tree thus attaching
it to the previous subtree of the same level, for example. And to
remove the whole collapsed subtree, the user should mark it with a
region and remove it using C-w thus providing something like a
confirmation that he really wants to remove the whole subtree. Well
this is just a set of ideas, but anyway I suppose that C-k should not
remove the whole (collapsed) tree. My case was the root-level subtree,
so I've lost about 1/5th of my file.

And yes, thanks for a great tool, this is very usefull for me, and
good luck!

Best regards,

Dmitry Prokashev, St. Petersburg, Russia

* Re: C-k keystroke kills the subtree
@ 2009-04-25 14:28 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-04-25 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I'm using org-mode for a several months and recently a sad thing
> happened with me. I suddenly found that a subtree where I look into
> rather rarely, but the information there is quite important,
> disappeared. Obviously I have stroked C-k while the point was located on
> the collapsed tree, and whole my tree disappeared and I did not even
> noticed that. When I found there is no subtree, it was already too late
> to restore it: there was no such change in undo history and probably I
> have removed that subtree in one of my previous emacs sessions.

Dmitry,
I know this isn't much help in your present predicament, but I would
suggest that you have a look at "Using Version Control with Your Org
Files" at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.php#sec-3.3
(declaration of interest, I wrote it).

Using a VCS in conjunction with cron considerably mitigates the impact
of such disasters. Provided you commit your changes frequently (e.g.
with cron), you can  normally recover almost anything you deleted in error.

Ian.