* OFF-TOPIC - posting file snippets..
@ 2009-01-08 15:57 sergio_101
From: sergio_101 @ 2009-01-08 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

i realize that this is off topic, but i think it will help in the future
as i continue to post..

i have seen lots of people posting file snippets to this list that are
really well formatted.. something like:

--[filename.txt]--
| contents of |
|file         |
---[end]---

well, not that ugly, but you get the idea..

my question is.. how are they doing that?

thanks!

* Re: OFF-TOPIC - posting file snippets..
@ 2009-01-08 16:04 ` Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2009-01-08 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sergio,

Check out boxquote.el at http://www.davep.org/emacs/boxquote.el

Cheers,
Chris

@ 2009-01-08 17:23 ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2009-01-08 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sergio_101; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

sergio> my question is.. how are they doing that?

A lot of us format our mails in emacs using filling, boxquotes,
rectangles etc. Some of us even send mail through emacs. The most
adventurous will read mail in emacs, using Gnus, or ViewMail, or Mew or
an other package.

So my guess is that the answer is "emacs".

--
  Paul

* Re: Re: OFF-TOPIC - posting file snippets..
@ 2009-01-08 18:06   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-01-08 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul R; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Paul R wrote:

  > sergio> my question is.. how are they doing that?
  >
  > A lot of us format our mails in emacs using filling, boxquotes,
  > rectangles etc. Some of us even send mail through emacs. The most
  > adventurous will read mail in emacs, using Gnus, or ViewMail, or Mew or
  > an other package.
  >
  > So my guess is that the answer is "emacs".

Well said.

For those using Firefox/Iceweasel addon "It's All Text" is worth
looking into.  Using this one can use Emacs anywhere there's a text
box.

--
Manish

* Re: Re: OFF-TOPIC - posting file snippets..
@ 2009-01-08 19:27     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-01-08 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: Paul R, emacs-orgmode

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

>   On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Paul R wrote:
>   >
>   > sergio> my question is.. how are they doing that?
>   >
>   > A lot of us format our mails in emacs using filling, boxquotes,
>   > rectangles etc. Some of us even send mail through emacs. The most
>   > adventurous will read mail in emacs, using Gnus, or ViewMail, or Mew or
>   > an other package.
>   >
>   > So my guess is that the answer is "emacs".
>
> Well said.
>
> For those using Firefox/Iceweasel addon "It's All Text" is worth
> looking into.  Using this one can use Emacs anywhere there's a text
> box.

To be specific, the OP needs "boxquote.el". I have it bound thus:

,----
| (define-key mode-specific-map [?q] 'boxquote-region)
`----

So in Gnus it's "C-c q" on a region in

,----
| order to boxquote like this
`----

And with things like It's All Text, be aware of "emacs --daemon" and "emacsclient -c".

e.g In my .xsession I have:

,----
| pidof emacs || emacs --daemon
`----

which starts emacs if not already running as a server.

Then one can have a permanent emacs server running and connect to it
from a terminal, script etc. using

,----
| emacsclient
`----

Note that "its all text" requires full path e.g

,----
| /usr/local/bin/emacsclient
`----

The daemon is a feature of Emacs 23 which I pull from the following git
repository

,----
| git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git
`----

All good stuff!

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970