* Sync org-mode files in different computers
@ 2008-10-21 23:56 Flávio de Souza
From: Flávio de Souza @ 2008-10-21 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I am a new emacs user and I am exploring org-mode which is really amazing.

I would like to know how I sync org-mode files in different computer over local
network and over the internet.

Tks,

--
Flávio

* Re: Sync org-mode files in different computers
@ 2008-10-22  0:39 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-10-22  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio de Souza; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

flaviostz@gmail.com (Flávio de Souza) writes:

> Hi, I am a new emacs user and I am exploring org-mode which is really amazing.
>
> I would like to know how I sync org-mode files in different computer over local
> network and over the internet.

Hi,

I personally use git to sync my org-mode files but there are lots of
tools available to sync files across multiple machines.

Some options are:

  - put your org-mode files in a source control system (git, svn,
    whatever system you are used to) and check out the files on all your
    target systems

  - Use unison

  - Use rsync

You'll probably want to investigate what works best for your usage
scenario.

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Sync org-mode files in different computers
@ 2008-10-22  9:51   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-10-22  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> Hi, I am a new emacs user and I am exploring org-mode which is really amazing.
>>
>> I would like to know how I sync org-mode files in different computer over local
>> network and over the internet.
>
> Hi,
>
> I personally use git to sync my org-mode files but there are lots of
> tools available to sync files across multiple machines.
>
> Some options are:
>
>   - put your org-mode files in a source control system (git, svn,
>     whatever system you are used to) and check out the files on all your
>     target systems

I use bzr (another vcs). My system is to place my org files on a server
at home and mount the org directory as an nfs share on my local
computers. Thus when I am at home I can access org files from any
computer on my home network, or just run emacs on the server.

Every evening a cron job automatically commits any changes to my
server's bzr repo and at the same time pushes the updates to an external
web server.

On my notebook I have a local bzr branch of my org files. This covers
most bases when I am away:

If I remember before I go out, I can pull the latest changes from my
home server to my notebook and just carry on working. If I forget to
pull my changes I can pull all changes up to last evening's commit from
the Internet.

If all the above fails, I can just work on the branch I have on my
notebook. This isn't usually more than a couple of days old. When I get
to somewhere with an Internet connection I can use bzr to merge the
changes on my notebook to the latest version.

It also means that I have at least three copies of my org files in
different places, so disk failures, etc won't result in much, or any,
lost work.

Ian.

* Re: Sync org-mode files in different computers
@ 2008-10-22 16:55 ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2008-10-22 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio de Souza; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

flaviostz@gmail.com (Flávio de Souza) writes:

> I would like to know how I sync org-mode files in different computer
> over local network and over the internet.

I think most people will agree that the best way to sync org-mode files
is to keep them under some kind of version control system.  The
advantage that has over something like rsync is that if you happen to
make changes in different places (laptop and home, for example) without
synchronizing in between (because you forget, or because your network
connection is down, or something), then you can merge your edits in some
way more fine-grained than "newest change wins".

I started out using Subversion (svn) to keep my org-mode files, and am
now using Mercurial (hg), which has both the advantages of being a dvcs
(every working copy is also a complete repository) and of being easier
to set up.  Many people also like git or bzr.  For just the purposes of
syncing your org-mode files, which one you choose isn't very important.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Sync org-mode files in different computers
@ 2008-10-24  0:13   ` Flávio de Souza
From: Flávio de Souza @ 2008-10-24  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> flaviostz@gmail.com (Flávio de Souza) writes:
>
>> Hi, I am a new emacs user and I am exploring org-mode which is really amazing.
>>
>> I would like to know how I sync org-mode files in different computer over local
>> network and over the internet.
>
> Hi,
>
> I personally use git to sync my org-mode files but there are lots of
> tools available to sync files across multiple machines.
>
> Some options are:
>
>   - put your org-mode files in a source control system (git, svn,
>     whatever system you are used to) and check out the files on all your
>     target systems
>
>   - Use unison
>
>   - Use rsync
>
> You'll probably want to investigate what works best for your usage
> scenario.
>
> -Bernt

Thanks! Right now I am trying git.

--
Flávio de Souza

* Re: Sync org-mode files in different computers
@ 2008-10-24  0:16     ` Flávio de Souza
From: Flávio de Souza @ 2008-10-24  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

>>> Hi, I am a new emacs user and I am exploring org-mode which is really amazing.
>>>
>>> I would like to know how I sync org-mode files in different
>>> computer over local network and over the internet.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I personally use git to sync my org-mode files but there are lots of
>> tools available to sync files across multiple machines.
>>
>> Some options are:
>>
>>   - put your org-mode files in a source control system (git, svn,
>>     whatever system you are used to) and check out the files on all your
>>     target systems
>>
> I use bzr (another vcs). My system is to place my org files on a
> server at home and mount the org directory as an nfs share on my local
> computers. Thus when I am at home I can access org files from any
> computer on my home network, or just run emacs on the server.
>

> Every evening a cron job automatically commits any changes to my
> server's bzr repo and at the same time pushes the updates to an
> external web server.
>
> On my notebook I have a local bzr branch of my org files. This covers
> most bases when I am away:
>
> If I remember before I go out, I can pull the latest changes from my
> home server to my notebook and just carry on working. If I forget to
> pull my changes I can pull all changes up to last evening's commit
> from the Internet.
>
> If all the above fails, I can just work on the branch I have on my
> notebook. This isn't usually more than a couple of days old. When I
> get to somewhere with an Internet connection I can use bzr to merge
> the changes on my notebook to the latest version.
>
> It also means that I have at least three copies of my org files in
> different places, so disk failures, etc won't result in much, or any,
> lost work.
>
> Ian.

Thanks for sharing your system, right now I am trying git and
making a similar system.

--
Flávio de Souza

* Re: Sync org-mode files in different computers
@ 2008-10-24  0:17   ` Flávio de Souza
From: Flávio de Souza @ 2008-10-24  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode