* Definition of "unscheduled" task
@ 2007-10-14  3:35 Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2007-10-14  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am trying to follow GTD's principle that tasks should be reviewed
regularly. So I first turn on "org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled", and do
a "List of all TODO entries, and then review all tasks in the list.
However, I found that tasks with plain active time stamps ("appointment
tasks") are also listed. Should we exclude them when
org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled is set to "t"?

Wanrong

* Re: Definition of "unscheduled" task
@ 2007-10-14  6:17 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-14  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 14, 2007, at 5:35, Wanrong Lin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to follow GTD's principle that tasks should be reviewed
> regularly. So I first turn on "org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled", and
> do a "List of all TODO entries, and then review all tasks in the list.
> However, I found that tasks with plain active time stamps
> ("appointment tasks") are also listed. Should we exclude them when
> org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled is set to "t"?

Wouldn't it be better to not mark appointments TODO?

- Carsten

* Re: Definition of "unscheduled" task
@ 2007-10-14 15:45   ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2007-10-14 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

That's certainly an option. But usually I like to mark any "actionable"
items with "TODO", while using non-TODO entries to record information,
or to group TODOs into logical groups. Like this:

* Dental
*** TODO See Dr. Xyz for cleaning
   <2007-11-29 Thu 09:00>
* Medical
*** TODO See Dr. Abc for routine exam
* Useful Websites

Conceptually, I think it is  cleaner that way (if the entry indicates
some action, have a "TODO" keyword. How that action is scheduled is a
separate issue.). Physiologically, If I know in my org system certain
entries need action but don't have a TODO keyword, my trust of the
system will decrease since there are many functions in org-mode that
operates on TODO entries only (or better so). Also, with a TODO keyword,
I can change the state of it (I can cancel it, I can mark it done and
etc.). Further, sometimes you just want to create a TODO entry like "See
Dr. Abc", and later make it an appointment by adding a time stamp. It
seems awkward to me that I need to remove the "TODO" keyword once I have
that item scheduled as an appointment.

In short, I think we should mark appointments as "TODO" entries and have
appointments removed from the TODO item list if "ignore-scheduled" is
turned on.

Wanrong

@ 2007-10-15 18:45     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-15 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Well,

I am not about the change the meaning of "scheduled", but I can give
you a new
variable `org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date'.  How about that?

- Carsten

On Oct 14, 2007, at 17:45, Wanrong Lin wrote:

> That's certainly an option. But usually I like to mark any
> "actionable" items with "TODO", while using non-TODO entries to record
> information, or to group TODOs into logical groups. Like this:
>
> * Dental
> *** TODO See Dr. Xyz for cleaning
>   <2007-11-29 Thu 09:00>
> * Medical
> *** TODO See Dr. Abc for routine exam
> * Useful Websites
>
> Conceptually, I think it is  cleaner that way (if the entry indicates
> some action, have a "TODO" keyword. How that action is scheduled is a
> separate issue.). Physiologically, If I know in my org system certain
> entries need action but don't have a TODO keyword, my trust of the
> system will decrease since there are many functions in org-mode that
> operates on TODO entries only (or better so). Also, with a TODO
> keyword, I can change the state of it (I can cancel it, I can mark it
> done and etc.). Further, sometimes you just want to create a TODO
> entry like "See Dr. Abc", and later make it an appointment by adding a
> time stamp. It seems awkward to me that I need to remove the "TODO"
> keyword once I have that item scheduled as an appointment.
>
> In short, I think we should mark appointments as "TODO" entries and
> have appointments removed from the TODO item list if
> "ignore-scheduled" is turned on.
>
> Wanrong
>
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 14, 2007, at 5:35, Wanrong Lin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to follow GTD's principle that tasks should be reviewed
>>> regularly. So I first turn on "org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled",
>>> and do a "List of all TODO entries, and then review all tasks in the
>>> list. However, I found that tasks with plain active time stamps
>>> ("appointment tasks") are also listed. Should we exclude them when
>>> org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled is set to "t"?
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to not mark appointments TODO?
>>
>> - Carsten

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Definition of "unscheduled" task
@ 2007-10-15 19:08       ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2007-10-15 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sounds like my argument did not convince you. :-)  But a new variable
works for me. I really appreciate the extra effort you take.

Wanrong

@ 2007-10-16  6:49         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-16  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: org-mode list

On Oct 15, 2007, at 21:08, Wanrong Lin wrote:

> Sounds like my argument did not convince you. :-)

No, you misunderstand.  I do see why you might want to mark
appointments TODO (even if I would not do it).  But
"scheduled" in the context of Org has to do with *planning*.
You *plan* to work on this item that day, but it is not ab
absolute fix like a dentist appointment.  So I think it
is  wrong to turn these off with a variable that contains the
word "scheduled" in the name.

- Carsten