* link description <-- selected text?
@ 2007-01-14 17:51 Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2007-01-14 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Here's a feature request:  If text is selected when the create link
command is invoked (C-c C-l), then the selected text becomes the default
contents for the link description mini-buffer.  If no text is selected,
the description mini-buffer is blank, as it is now.

This would reduce substantially keystrokes for my usual style of
editing, which is to first type in the outline text and then to go back
and sprinkle it with links to references (to websites, bib entries,
lines of code...).  For example, suppose I have written this sentence:

    "Implement the RLS algorithm"

And, suppose I've already stored a link to an RLS paper by typing C-l in
in my bib file.  Then, while in the outline buffer, I'd like to be able
to select the text "RLS algorithm", and then hit:

    C-c C-l  (creates link minibuffer)
    <enter>  (enters stored link)
    <enter>  (enters selected text as link description)

As soon as it occurred to me that this would make org-mode more
efficient, I realized that this is how other standard programs already
handle html references; I'd guess that many would already be familiar
with this small change in org-mode behavior.

Thanks for all the good work,

Scott

* Re: DSPAM link description <-- selected text?
@ 2007-01-15  6:58 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-01-15  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Scott Otterson <scotto@u.washington.edu> writes:

>    C-c C-l  (creates link minibuffer)
>    <enter>  (enters stored link)
>    <enter>  (enters selected text as link description)

This seems useful to me as well.  For now, i was emulating a close
behavior by saving the region and pasting it in the description
minibuffer, but we could spare at least two keystrokes.

--
Bastien

* Re: link description <-- selected text?
@ 2007-01-16  6:44 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-01-16  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have implemented this behavior, thanks.
It has the side effect that the selected text is removed from the
buffer,
even if you change the offered default description, but I guess this is
ok.

- Carsten

On Jan 14, 2007, at 18:51, Scott Otterson wrote:

> Here's a feature request:  If text is selected when the create link
> command is invoked (C-c C-l), then the selected text becomes the
> default contents for the link description mini-buffer.  If no text is
> selected, the description mini-buffer is blank, as it is now.
>
> This would reduce substantially keystrokes for my usual style of
> editing, which is to first type in the outline text and then to go
> back and sprinkle it with links to references (to websites, bib
> entries, lines of code...).  For example, suppose I have written this
> sentence:
>
>    "Implement the RLS algorithm"
>
> And, suppose I've already stored a link to an RLS paper by typing C-l
> in in my bib file.  Then, while in the outline buffer, I'd like to be
> able to select the text "RLS algorithm", and then hit:
>
>    C-c C-l  (creates link minibuffer)
>    <enter>  (enters stored link)
>    <enter>  (enters selected text as link description)
>
> As soon as it occurred to me that this would make org-mode more
> efficient, I realized that this is how other standard programs already
> handle html references; I'd guess that many would already be familiar
> with this small change in org-mode behavior.
>
> Thanks for all the good work,
>
> Scott

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: link description <-- selected text?
@ 2007-01-16 18:34   ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2007-01-16 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks much, this is perfect!  Scott