* Repeating the customization survey?
@ 2013-10-23 13:34 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-10-23 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Dear all,

in 2009, we ran a customization survey, to figure out which variables are actually used by active Org-mode users.  The results can be seen here:

       http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-customization-survey.html

I was wondering if it would be useful to repeats this - the results might be instructive.

It should be much easier this time, because we now have a function that will actually list all changed variables - so we would only have to ask people to run a simple lisp command and send in the results.  Of course, then a volunteer would have to collect and analyse the output.  Last time Manish and myself did this, and I remember that it was interesting and fun.

Any takers?

- Carsten

* Re: Repeating the customization survey?
@ 2013-10-23 19:11 ` Marcin Borkowski
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-10-23 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-10-23, o godz. 15:34:09
Carsten Dominik <drostekirsten@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Dear all,
>
> in 2009, we ran a customization survey, to figure out which variables
> are actually used by active Org-mode users.  The results can be seen
> here:
>
>        http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-customization-survey.html
>
> I was wondering if it would be useful to repeats this - the results
> might be instructive.
>
> It should be much easier this time, because we now have a function
> that will actually list all changed variables - so we would only have
> to ask people to run a simple lisp command and send in the results.
> Of course, then a volunteer would have to collect and analyse the
> output.  Last time Manish and myself did this, and I remember that it
> was interesting and fun.
>
> Any takers?

1. Does it require in-depth knowledge of Elisp?  (I guess not, but
wanted to ask - I'm not a programmer.)

2. When it should be done?  (I have a negative amount of spare
time now, but a few big commitments of mine finish this or next week.)

3. Is it very much time-consuming?  (More than 4-5 hours might mean I'm
out.)

> - Carsten

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Repeating the customization survey?
@ 2013-10-23 19:25 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-10-23 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode List

Will this use a function that people can run on their files?

It /was/ interesting and a good workout for Org.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: Repeating the customization survey?
@ 2013-10-24  6:12   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-10-24  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org Mode List, Carsten Dominik

On 23.10.2013, at 21:25, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will this use a function that people can run on their files?

Not on files.  Just in an emacs session, I will provide a command to run.

- Carsten

@ 2013-10-24  7:33 ` Florian Adamsky
From: Florian Adamsky @ 2013-10-24  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Dear Carsten,

Carsten Dominik writes:

> in 2009, we ran a customization survey, to figure out which variables are actually used by active Org-mode users.  The results can be seen here:
>
>        http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-customization-survey.html

[...]

> Any takers?

I would like to help. I'm not regular contributor to org-mode, so this
means I don't have deep knowledge of the internal structure of
org-mode. However, maybe this helps me to bootstrap myself into the
project. Would you be so kind to tell me the name of the function that
lists all the changed variables. Then I can play a little bit with that
and see which additional information may be useful.

Best regards
--
Florian Adamsky
http://florian.adamsky.it/

* Re: Repeating the customization survey?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-10-25 23:36 ` Mike McLean
From: Mike McLean @ 2013-10-25 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Oct 23, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Carsten Dominik <drostekirsten@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> in 2009, we ran a customization survey, to figure out which variables are actually used by active Org-mode users.  The results can be seen here:
>
>       http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-customization-survey.html
>
> I was wondering if it would be useful to repeats this - the results might be instructive.
>
> It should be much easier this time, because we now have a function that will actually list all changed variables - so we would only have to ask people to run a simple lisp command and send in the results.  Of course, then a volunteer would have to collect and analyse the output.  Last time Manish and myself did this, and I remember that it was interesting and fun.
>
> Any takers?

I'll bite; I don't have the Elisp skills (*) to contribute as meaningfully as I would like to Org and this sounds like a  good little side project.

Mike

(*) Nor the ability -- to the best of my interpretation -- to sign FSF papers.

* Re: Repeating the customization survey?
@ 2013-10-27  8:13   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-10-27  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike McLean; +Cc: Org Mode List, Carsten Dominik

Great.

Let me cook up that lisp function for you.

- Carsten