* buffer-locale setting of locale for day names in time-stamps
@ 2007-09-06 15:39 William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-09-06 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list

I am using org mode to publish HTML pages, some of which are for an
English-speaking audience and some of which are for a Spanish-speaking
audience. Therefore, I would like the day-of-week names in the default
org time-stamps to be localised appropriately. However, the only way I
know to change the locale is with set-locale-environment, which
changes it globally. Is there any way to have buffer-local (or
file-local) setting of the locale.

I realise this is not strictly an org-mode question, but maybe some of
you know the answer...

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: buffer-locale setting of locale for day names in time-stamps
@ 2007-09-06 18:42 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-06 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"William Henney" <whenney@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there any way to have buffer-local (or file-local) setting of the
> locale.

What about the #+LANGUAGE option?

See (info "(Org)Export options") for details.

--
Bastien

* Re: buffer-locale setting of locale for day names in time-stamps
@ 2007-09-07  0:40   ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-09-07  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien

On 9/6/07, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> "William Henney" <whenney@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is there any way to have buffer-local (or file-local) setting of the
> > locale.
>
> What about the #+LANGUAGE option?

Yes, I use this option. However, this value is not respected by the
time-stamps, which are implemented using format-time-string (a
built-in emacs function, written in C)

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2007-09-07  8:04     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-07  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 7, 2007, at 2:40, William Henney wrote:

> Hi Bastien
>
> On 9/6/07, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
>> "William Henney" <whenney@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Is there any way to have buffer-local (or file-local) setting of the
>>> locale.
>>
>> What about the #+LANGUAGE option?
>>

> Yes, I use this option. However, this value is not respected by the
> time-stamps, which are implemented using format-time-string (a
> built-in emacs function, written in C)

I believe this has to do with the LANG and LC_TIME environment
variables,
but I don't know exactly what you have to set them to.

- Carsten

* Re: buffer-locale setting of locale for day names in time-stamps
@ 2007-09-07 15:03       ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-09-07 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 9/7/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2007, at 2:40, William Henney wrote:

> >> What about the #+LANGUAGE option?
> >>

> > Yes, I use this option. However, this value is not respected by the
> > time-stamps, which are implemented using format-time-string (a
> > built-in emacs function, written in C)
>
> I believe this has to do with the LANG and LC_TIME environment
> variables,
> but I don't know exactly what you have to set them to.

OK, I think I now have a working solution. I have tracked it down to
the variable system-time-locale. However, this is a global variable,
so you have to put

(make-variable-buffer-local 'system-time-locale)

in your .emacs. Then, you can put something like this at the bottom of
an org file:

* COMMENT local variables for this file
# Local Variables:
# system-time-locale: "es_MX.ISO8859-1"
# End:

which will set the locale for that file only. After editing the local
variables, you have to do M-x normal-mode to set them for your current
session.

Thanks to Bastien and Carsten for your suggestions.

Will