* Bug: Feature Request: add 'org-babel-before-execute-hook' [8.3.4 (8.3.4-99-ga8e4a3-elpa @ /Users/macbookair/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160704/)]
@ 2016-07-08 10:56 Jiajie Chen
From: Jiajie Chen @ 2016-07-08 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.

Now there exists 'org-babel-after-execute-hook'. I want to implement
this functionality: Check whether the path specified in `:file' exists
in file system and throw an error if that does not exists. If there is
`org-babel-before-execute-hook', we can do that instead of using
advice. I love symmetry :)

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.5.0, NS appkit-1404.47 Version 10.11.5 (Build 15F34))
 of 2016-07-03
Package: Org-mode version 8.3.4 (8.3.4-99-ga8e4a3-elpa @ /Users/macbookair/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160704/)

* Re: Bug: Feature Request: add 'org-babel-before-execute-hook' [8.3.4 (8.3.4-99-ga8e4a3-elpa @ /Users/macbookair/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160704/)]
  2016-07-08 10:56 Bug: Feature Request: add 'org-babel-before-execute-hook' [8.3.4 (8.3.4-99-ga8e4a3-elpa @ /Users/macbookair/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160704/)] Jiajie Chen
@ 2016-07-08 16:09 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-08 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiajie Chen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016, Jiajie Chen wrote:
[snip]

> Now there exists 'org-babel-after-execute-hook'. I want to implement
> this functionality: Check whether the path specified in `:file' exists
> in file system and throw an error if that does not exists. If there is
> `org-babel-before-execute-hook', we can do that instead of using
> advice. I love symmetry :)

Not a bug, of course.

You can check on things like file existence in a number of ways.

First, you can put emacs-lisp in header args, for example:

This evaluates when there is a file called "elisp" in the default
directory:

#+header: :eval (or (file-exists-p "elisp") "no")
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :eval (file-exists-p "elisp")
"got it!"
#+END_SRC

and this does not (when there is no 'eeeelisp'):

#+header: :eval (or (file-exists-p "eeeelisp") "no")
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
"got it!"
#+END_SRC

I've illustrated here with `:eval', but `:file' will also take such an
elisp snippet.

Alternatively, you can define a function for `org-confirm-babel-evaluate'
that will block evaluation.

Chuck

@ 2016-07-08 23:43   ` Jiegec
From: Jiegec @ 2016-07-08 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes this is not a bug and I have implemented this using advice:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
;; See https://emacs-china.org/t/file/696
;; And http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2016-07/msg00136.html
(defun check-file-exists-advice (orig-fun
                                 &optional arg
                                 info
                                 params)
  ;; Copied from ob-core.el. May not be compatible.
  (let* ((org-babel-current-src-block-location
	  (or org-babel-current-src-block-location
	      (nth 6 info)
	      (org-babel-where-is-src-block-head)
	      ;; inline src block
	      (and (org-babel-get-inline-src-block-matches)
		   (match-beginning 0))))
	 (info (if info
		   (copy-tree info)
		 (org-babel-get-src-block-info)))
	 (merged-params (org-babel-merge-params (nth 2 info) params)))
    (when (cdr (assoc :file merged-params))
      (unless (file-exists-p (cdr (assoc :file merged-params)))
        (error "File does not exist"))))
  (funcall orig-fun arg info params))

(advice-add 'org-babel-execute-src-block :around #'check-file-exists-advice)
#+END_SRC

And this is just a feature request: I’d love to implement this feature
in another way.