* comment alignment not lining up / C++//l OrgSrc Abbrev / Releasing Emacs 26.1
       [not found] <87h8njpt63.fsf@bzg.fr>
@ 2018-05-07 13:24 ` Van L
  2018-05-18 11:10   ` SRC block with `-i' switch seems to solve the problem (was: comment alignment not lining up / C++//l OrgSrc Abbrev / Releasing Emacs 26.1) Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-05-07 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello.

Here is a recipe reproducing a bug described in the post which is forward from.

— recipe begins

   - to reproduce faulty comment line up

     1) ~/2018/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q

     2) open file ~/Documents/x-reproduce-me

	(Fundamental) mode is on

     3) C-h C-a ; verify version is 26.1 rc-1

     4) enter the following into the file, place cursor at end of 43, save file, M-x revert-buffer

        #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
        * Reading

        Chapters

        1)
        2) Page	43

        Local variables:
        mode: org
        paragraph-separate: "[ 	\f]*$"
        coding: utf-8
        end:

        #+END_EXAMPLE

        (Org) mode is on ; show all ; place cursor at end of 43 ; type `M-j' ; `<s' followed by TAB ; append cpp ; type (C-c ') without braces

        - see - http://emacs.scratch.space/public/org-mode-cpp-x-0.png

     5) Abbrev view opens in second pane

	type in the following

	#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
	void some_function() // function that doesn't return a value
        {
          double d = 2.2; // initialize floating-point number
          int i = 7; // initialize integer
          d = d+i; // assign sum to d
          i = d*i; // assign product i (truncating the double to an int)
        }
        // To align, highlight the region then
        // M-x align-regexp <RET> // <RET>
	#+END_EXAMPLE

	highlight the region of four lines in the body of the function

	do, M-x align-regexp <RET> // <RET>

	- the four line's comment are lined up

	do, C-c '

     6) we are out of the abbrev view

	- the line with `int i = 7;' has comment alignment not lining up

        - see - http://emacs.scratch.space/public/org-mode-cpp-x-1.png

	highlight the region of four lines in the body of the function

	do, M-x align-regexp <RET> // <RET>

	- the four line's comment are lined up

        - see - http://emacs.scratch.space/public/org-mode-cpp-x-2.png

	do, C-c '

     7) we are in the abbrev view

        - again, the line with `int i = 7;' has comment alignment not lining up

	- see - http://emacs.scratch.space/public/org-mode-cpp-x-3.png

— recipe ends

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Releasing Emacs 26.1
> Date: 7 May 2018 at 22:05:40 AEST
> To: Van L <van@scratch.space>
> Cc: Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org>, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Hi,
>
> Van L <van@scratch.space> writes:
>
>>> On 7 May 2018, at 21:10, Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> If the bugs are in new functionality, I wouldn't see any issue with
>>> leaving the improvements until the next release if necessary;
>>
>> In org mode for Emacs 26.1 rc-1, I see comment alignment for cpp not
>> lining up, see screenshot.
>
> I cannot reproduce this bug with Emacs 26.1 rc-1 and Org 9.1.12.
>
> Can you send it to emacs-orgmode@gnu.org and provide a detailed recipe
> on how to reproduce it with emacs -Q?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Bastien

Van L
van@scratch.space

@ 2018-05-18 11:10   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-05-18 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bzg, emacs-orgmode

Hello Eli.

Thanks for solving the problem with chinese input method’s link reference which was broken due to an 18yo typo.

Separately, the following is a different bug.

I reported this bug which didn’t get acknowledged as far as I can tell.

I think the bug isn’t a bug now.

It isn’t a bug if instead of using EXAMPLE block I use SRC block with the `-i’ switch and the indenting will be preserved properly.

Perhaps the Org Mode documentation about the `-i’ switch for SRC block can demonstrate an example, for Python especially, to get the point across about preserving indentation and reduce the chance of misunderstanding or missing the point.