* fancier and less fancy export
@ 2006-05-08 16:43 Scott Otterson
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Scott Otterson @ 2006-05-08 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

My biggest use of org-mode export is spitting out simple ASCII lists
that I paste into emails.  Even so, I have picky export enhancement
requests:

1.) Add org-export-visible-as-ascii:  org-export-copy-visible creates a
new org file containing the visible text.  The problem for me is that
it's still an org-file, with all the leading *'s, linking text and so
on.  So, I'd like to clean it up by running org-export-as-ascii over the
export-visible file but

 - this is an extra step
 - when I try to do this, I get the error message:
     Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

2.) Export with simple leading characters instead of section numbers.
Maybe there's already a way to do this, but I'd like to see an option
for exporting headlines with leading '*' ,'o', '-'' and so on, instead
of with long section numbers like 3.4.2.1.   For html export, this could
be just the standard itemized list characters; for ascii, it could be
something similar.  This could be done with a customization variable, a
prefix, or very long commands like org-export-visible-as-ascii-simple...

Also, a general question:  There's been discussion of adapting muse-mode
so that org-mode can eventually make use of its many export
capabilities.   At that same time, we've got very interesting xoxo
export capability and the nice new code written by David O'Toole.   This
is great stuff but to a new user, these multiple and somewhat
overlapping choices are bound to be confusing.  Will all this good code
eventually get merged into a unified org-mode exporting system?

Thanks,

Scott