* Beamer framebreak
@ 2017-01-10 23:49 edgar
       [not found] ` <dh824m0k8ffm.fsf@example.com>
From: edgar @ 2017-01-10 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am new to org-mode, because it seems impressive, and I think that it
will make my life much simpler. Thank you!

For the following, I am attaching example org, pdf and tex files (the
last two generated by org-mode > export beamer PDF).

First, why does slide 3/4 contain two main headlines fit into a single
slide?

Second, how do I force a new slide so that the "Figures" block is not
cut-off on slide 4/4?

Third, how do I get the contents of "Description of the project" (slide
3/4) into a block (like Concepts in slide 4/4).

I looked around and could not find my answers. Your support is much
appreciated. Thanks.

Edgar

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

* Re: Beamer framebreak
       [not found] <74c556488a004558ba6fbe9538f74049@DB5PR01MB1895.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-01-12 10:07 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-01-12 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, 10 Jan 2017 at 23:49, edgar@openmail.cc wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to org-mode, because it seems impressive, and I think that it
> will make my life much simpler. Thank you!
>
> For the following, I am attaching example org, pdf and tex files (the
> last two generated by org-mode > export beamer PDF).
>
> First, why does slide 3/4 contain two main headlines fit into a single
> slide?

Your org file layout is a little confused.  You have told org that
beamer slides (aka frames) will be level 2 headlines (so level 1
headlines become sections).  Then you, for instance, some content
directly under a level 1 headline which is ignored.  Third level
headlines will become blocks within a frame.

> Second, how do I force a new slide so that the "Figures" block is not
> cut-off on slide 4/4?

Currently, it is part of the "Structure and Function" slide because your
figures are within a level 3 headline which is converted to a
block.  Put the figures under a second level headline instead.

> Third, how do I get the contents of "Description of the project" (slide
> 3/4) into a block (like Concepts in slide 4/4).

Blocks are 3rd level headlines so put the contents within a 3rd level
headline.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.2-104-gf5b7de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Beamer framebreak
@ 2017-01-18  1:40 edgar
From: edgar @ 2017-01-18  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 10:53:27 +0000
> From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
> To: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: [O] Fwd: Beamer framebreak
>

> If you want to use three levels as frames in some places, I would
> suggest you make all frames third level.  Second level headlines then
> become subsections but you can actually skip form 1st to 3rd level
> headlines and the beamer export won't care, e.g.
>
> * section
> *** a frame
> *** another frame
> * second section
> ** subsection
> *** frame

This sounds interesting. I will try. Thanks.

> I think you'll find it easier to simply have a consistent layout across
> the document.
Thanks again.

@ 2017-01-18  1:53 edgar
From: edgar @ 2017-01-18  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 09:22:54 -0600
> From: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
> To: edgar@openmail.cc
> Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: [O] Fwd: Beamer framebreak

> My personal opinion is while it *looks* like it should work as this
> utopian note-taking software that can also spit out presentations from
> said content... it hasn't functioned like this in my experience.
Would be nice, right? :) .

> - beamer_frame_level has been replaced with H:n, I believe.
>    - old tutorial (mentioned):
> http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html
>    - new tutorial (not mentioned):
> http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html
Thanks. I get confused between tutorials many times.

> your'e asking why "Notes on project description" and "Notes on project
> summary" are on the same slide? They are a list, not headlines, so Org
> doesn't recognize them as having anything to do with frames. Org
> thinks they are content (bullets).
Ok. You may not believe this, but I was confused about how headlines
worked, and an asterisk looked like a headline to me (or something).
Thanks.

> adding content :)
"weird sounds from knee bending" is the technical term for "Oh, sh...t!"

> Hope that helps some?
It is _really_ great! Thank you very much for all your effort and time
:) ! I appreciate it a lot.

Cheers!
P.S. Sorry for the late answer. My life is a turmoil right now.

@ 2017-01-18  2:35 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2017-01-18  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

No problem at all and hope that helped. It's definitely confusing initially!

Re. the headline thing, I just meant that this:

* something

** something

is not this:

- something
   - something

Asterisks are headlines, but I took your inquiring why the "Notes on
project" (with dashes) were not on separate slides. I might have
misunderstood, though.

Good luck!

@ 2017-01-28 23:37   ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2017-01-28 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Niessen, emacs-orgmode

Hey Fabrice,

It's me again. I looked at your (README.org), and I finally understood
how to force a framebreak! Thank you very much. I feel stupid, because
it's the same solution which has been around on the Internet, but I
finally know how to use it. For others who might be interested:

If your heading number 2 (** Heading) creates a slide (look at the
you have another number after H:, it means that your slides will be
created with that level of heading. This is all in the manual, honest!),
then add the property for allowframebreaks,label=
(https://bitbucket.org/rivanvx/beamer/issue/265/including-frame-label-option-stops):

* Heading #1
** Heading #2
   :PROPERTIES:
   # The 0.8 forces the content to fit in 0.8 of the whole slide
   # (without considering navigation bars, etc.)
   :BEAMER_OPT: allowframebreaks=0.8,label=
   :END:
   Your long contents go here (and more than one slides are generated
automatically)

So, if you try this (doesn't work):
* Heading #1
** Heading #2
*** Heading #3
   :PROPERTIES:
   :BEAMER_OPT: allowframebreaks=0.8,label=
   :END:
   Your long contents will be cropped within a single slide

This doesn't work either:
* Heading #1
** Heading #2
   :PROPERTIES:
   :BEAMER_OPT: allowframebreaks=0.8,label=
   :END:
*** Heading #3
   Your long contents will be cropped into more than one slide, wherein
the first slide will possibly be the headline.

Now that I think of it, may be I should turn this into a feature
request. Is that reasonable? (to force a framebreak when a block
overflows a slide, resulting in cropped contents).

Edgar