* Org-Mode to handle appointments ?
@ 2007-01-08 22:52 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-01-08 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten and list,

many thanks for Org-Mode 4.61, 'works smoothly here.

I was wondering if org-mode could handle appointments.  This seems to
be a natural extension, no?  I guess insinuating appts into the diary
would be processed by the &%%(org-diary) function.

What do you people think of this ?

All the best, and a happy new year to everyone!

--
Bastien

* Re: Org-Mode to handle appointments ?
@ 2007-01-08 23:39 ` Piotr Zielinski
       [not found]   ` <3d6808890701090219l42399b3fn7489d2f02fd06e9f@mail.gmail.com>
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2007-01-08 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Personally, I use org-mode for personal planning (todos, deadlines,
etc), but for appointments I use calendar programs (Google Calendar in
my case).  If your calendar program understands the iCalendar format,
then you can convert it to the diary format, which can then be
incorporated into org-agenda view.  I think I have posted scripts to
do this automatically to this mailing list some time ago; if not, I
can post them again.

You can also store your appointments in your org file as you
suggested, although I haven't tried this approach.  I think it all
boils down to how do you identify your appointments.  If you think of
all/most of your appointments as tightly bound to particular projects,
then storing them in an org-file under a particular project might be a
good idea.  If your appointments are usually not bound to particular
projects, or you need advanced calendar scheduling functions (eg. appt
every second tuesday), then diary or a calendar program is a better
idea I think. It allows you to think of appointments in terms of time
rather than projects they belong to.

Piotr

On 08/01/07, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi Carsten and list,
>
> many thanks for Org-Mode 4.61, 'works smoothly here.
>
> I was wondering if org-mode could handle appointments.  This seems to
> be a natural extension, no?  I guess insinuating appts into the diary
> would be processed by the &%%(org-diary) function.
>
> What do you people think of this ?
>
> All the best, and a happy new year to everyone!
>
> --
> Bastien

Piotr Zielinski, Research Associate
Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge, UK
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pz215/

* Re: Org-Mode to handle appointments ?
@ 2007-01-09  6:10   ` Bastien
       [not found]   ` <3d6808890701090219l42399b3fn7489d2f02fd06e9f@mail.gmail.com>
From: Bastien @ 2007-01-09  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piotr Zielinski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Piotr,

thanks for your answer.

Here is the way i come to the idea of implementing some org-appt
gateway.  For appointments, i use both diary and org-mode.  I use
diary when the appointment in not obviously related to any project,
and i use org-mode (just adding a time specification in a timestamp)
for appointments that are project-dependant.

By the way, note that diary is able to handle complex appointments
like the one you describe.  For example, APPT1 is for every first
tuesday of each month, and APPT2 is for every friday starting from
12-12-2006:

  %%(diary-float t 2 1), 19:30 APPT1
  %%(diary-cyclic 7 12 22 2006), 14:15 APPT2

I like the way appointments are displayed in org-agenda, but i lack
some appt related features - such as warnings or the display of the
remaining time in the mode-line.

So i think it would be nice if the following task were recognized as
an appointment :

*** Cours "normes esthétiques"
    SCHEDULED: <2007-01-09 mar 17:00>
                               ^^^^^

For now, i need to add some extra entry to the diary file if i want
Emacs to warn me before such a scheduled task. Hence i cannot avoid
redundancy.

Best regards,

PS: i also use Google Calendar.  That's precisely why i started to add
time specification in timestamps! Now org -> iCal format -> Google Cal
is able to send me text message before an appointment.  But Org is my
primary interface - not Google Calendar...

--

@ 2007-01-09 21:22     ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2007-01-09 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 09/01/07, Tim O'Callaghan <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/07, Piotr Zielinski <piotr.zielinski@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I use org-mode for personal planning (todos, deadlines,
> > etc), but for appointments I use calendar programs (Google Calendar in
> > my case).  [...] I think I have posted scripts to
> > do this automatically to this mailing list some time ago; if not, I
> > can post them again.
>
> I use Google Calendar too, but i missed the scripts. Could you re-post
> them please?

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2006-08/msg00025.html

(Note that the scripts have nothing to do with Google Calendar in
particular, they just assume a downloadable calendar in the iCalendar
format.)

Piotr