* Clocking in emits an error
@ 2012-06-07  1:57 Avery Chan
From: Avery Chan @ 2012-06-07  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a plain list with checkboxes. I am trying to set a clock in time using
`C-c C-x C-i`. This emits this type of an error:

byte-code: Before first headline at position 30 in buffer TODO.org

Here is the text of my org file:

---START FILE---
- [ ] Clean upstairs windows
- [ ] Lunch with Taylor
---END FILE---

How do I get the clock to start timing?

I get a similar error when I use `C-c C-x e` to set a time estimate.

org-mode version: 7.8.09
emacs version: 24.0.92.1
MacOS X 10.7.4

* Re: Clocking in emits an error
@ 2012-06-07  2:14 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-07  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avery Chan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Avery Chan <avery+gmane@ootbdev.com> wrote:

> I have a plain list with checkboxes. I am trying to set a clock in time using
> `C-c C-x C-i`. This emits this type of an error:
>
> byte-code: Before first headline at position 30 in buffer TODO.org
>
> Here is the text of my org file:
>
> ---START FILE---
> - [ ] Clean upstairs windows
> - [ ] Lunch with Taylor
> ---END FILE---
>
> How do I get the clock to start timing?
>
> I get a similar error when I use `C-c C-x e` to set a time estimate.
>
> org-mode version: 7.8.09
> emacs version: 24.0.92.1
> MacOS X 10.7.4

Does it go away if you add a headline?

---START FILE---
* Tasks for clocking
- [ ] Clean upstairs windows
- [ ] Lunch with Taylor
---END FILE---

Nick

* Re: Clocking in emits an error
@ 2012-06-07  2:22   ` Avery Chan
From: Avery Chan @ 2012-06-07  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: nicholas.dokos

It /does/ go away if I add the headline. So I think you're saying:

1. Plain list checkbox items cannot have a time-estimate associated them.
2. Plain list checkbox items cannot track time.
3. Only headlines/TODO headlines can have these features.

I suppose that a TODO headline is effectively a checkbox; it would be nice, though, to be able to time separate checkboxes (though I suspect that responsibility would lay upon me to edit the appropriate org-mode file <grin>).

Thanks for the clarification Nick.

Avery

@ 2012-06-07 23:26     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-07 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avery Chan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Avery Chan <avery@ootbdev.com> wrote:

> It /does/ go away if I add the headline. So I think you're saying:
>
> 1. Plain list checkbox items cannot have a time-estimate associated them.
> 2. Plain list checkbox items cannot track time.
> 3. Only headlines/TODO headlines can have these features.
>
> I suppose that a TODO headline is effectively a checkbox; it would be nice, though, to be able to
> time separate checkboxes (though I suspect that responsibility would lay upon me to edit the
> appropriate org-mode file <grin>).
>
> Thanks for the clarification Nick.

You are reading too much into my response: I simply reacted to the error
message that you got and figured that perhaps by adding a headline, it
would go away. That's a decent workaround for the problem IMO. But I
don't know *why* there is such a limitation: it may be an implementation
accident, it may be a deliberate design choice or it may be a bug - I
don't know.

Nick