* org and remember:
@ 2006-05-08  1:27 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-05-08  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

A couple of questions -- I use remember with org as a means for
obtaining rich hot lists.

I just found out about org remember templates, but am running
into a couple of issues:

I first set
(setq org-remember-templates
           '(
             (?w
             "* %?           %U \n   %a"
             "~/org/web .org")))
as per the docs, but ended up with a remember buffer that
contained "~/.org/web.org"
I am guessing that the order of strings in that list has changed?

I swapped them and my template for the remember buffer takes
effect, but I still need to specify the file where the notes
should go.

Also, the ?w appears to have no effect.

finally how do I get the contents of the region when the above is
called to become the description of the link?

I tried [[%i][%a]] in the template but that doesn't work -- since
%a appears to insert the whole link, brackets and all.

Finally, I would like the note to be pasted into the file without
having to go through the org-goto dialog --- I find the prompt
for that dialog confusing in general ---

 Thanks,
 --Raman

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: org and remember:
@ 2006-05-11 11:53 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-05-11 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 8, 2006, at 3:27, T. V. Raman wrote:
> I first set
> (setq org-remember-templates
>            '(
>              (?w
>              "* %?           %U \n   %a"
>              "~/org/web .org")))
> as per the docs, but ended up with a remember buffer that
> contained "~/.org/web.org"
> I am guessing that the order of strings in that list has changed?

Indeed a but there - why has nobody noticed this?????  Will be fixed in
the next version.

> Also, the ?w appears to have no effect.

This the the character to select one of several templates.  if there is
only one template, the query is skipped.  If there are two templates,
you will be asked to select a template, using these characters.

> finally how do I get the contents of the region when the above is
> called to become the description of the link?

%i doe insert whatever remember considers initial content.  If you want
the current region to be the initial content, you need to call
`remember' itself with a C-u prefix.

> Finally, I would like the note to be pasted into the file without
> having to go through the org-goto dialog --- I find the prompt
> for that dialog confusing in general ---

You can do this by finishing writing your note with C-c C-c C-c

- Carsten

* Re: org and remember:
@ 2006-05-11 12:00   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-05-11 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sorry, I must have been tired when writing this last message - lots of
typos and errors in ther.  Here is a corrected version of it.

On May 8, 2006, at 3:27, T. V. Raman wrote:
> I first set
> (setq org-remember-templates
>            '(
>              (?w
>              "* %?           %U \n   %a"
>              "~/org/web .org")))
> as per the docs, but ended up with a remember buffer that
> contained "~/.org/web.org"
> I am guessing that the order of strings in that list has changed?

Indeed a bug there - why has nobody noticed this?????  Will be fixed in
the next version.

> Also, the ?w appears to have no effect.

This is the character to select between several templates.  If there is
only one template, the query is skipped.  If there are two templates,
you will be asked to select a template, using these characters.

> finally how do I get the contents of the region when the above is
> called to become the description of the link?

%i does insert whatever remember considers initial content.  If you
want the current region to be the initial content, you need to call
`remember' itself with a C-u prefix.

> Finally, I would like the note to be pasted into the file without
> having to go through the org-goto dialog --- I find the prompt
> for that dialog confusing in general ---

You can do this by finishing writing your note with C-u C-c C-c

- Carsten

* Suggestions on list create/edit commands:
@ 2006-05-12  2:39   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-05-12  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Here are a couple of suggestions on list item creation --
incidentally I ended up binding
org-insert-heading to C-j -- it is a lot nicer to use.

My list edit suggestions are mostly motivated by the behavior of
emacs python mode.

0)     Enable backspace to outdent while creating nested lists,
       this will make it extremely easy to close an inner list
       and continue.

1)     orgtbl is nice as a minor mode. Why not go once step
       further and enable org as a minor mode; it would be nice
       to be able to create structured lists in email.

2)    At present, when you create a new list item, point
        sometimes appears
        to land at the beginning of the line, would be nice if
        you could just start typing after creating the new item.

3)      Would be nice to be able to start a list without having
        to create the first bullet by hand, but I dont have a
        good suggestion for how to go about achieving it

 Thanks,
 --Raman

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: Suggestions on list create/edit commands:
@ 2006-05-12  4:41     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-05-12  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 12, 2006, at 4:39, T. V. Raman wrote:

> 0)     Enable backspace to outdent while creating nested lists,
>        this will make it extremely easy to close an inner list
>        and continue.

Can you describe that in more detail?

> 1)     orgtbl is nice as a minor mode. Why not go once step
>        further and enable org as a minor mode; it would be nice
>        to be able to create structured lists in email.

I don't know how this would be possible.  The org-mode keymap would
take over, no key from the current major mode would keep working.
Orgtbl used a rather complicated trick to function in tables while
leaving things to the major mode outside tables.  I don't see how a
similar trick could work for the whole file.

One could construct a restricted minor mode with some functionality -
what stuff should be in there?

> 2)    At present, when you create a new list item, point
>         sometimes appears
>         to land at the beginning of the line, would be nice if
>         you could just start typing after creating the new item.

Example, please?

> 3)      Would be nice to be able to start a list without having
>         to create the first bullet by hand, but I dont have a
>         good suggestion for how to go about achieving it

I guess typing "- " is faster than anything else you might be able to
come up with.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Suggestions on list create/edit commands:
@ 2006-05-14 12:35       ` Philip Rooke
From: Philip Rooke @ 2006-05-14 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On May 12, 2006, at 4:39, T. V. Raman wrote:
>>

>> 1)     orgtbl is nice as a minor mode. Why not go once step
>>        further and enable org as a minor mode; it would be nice
>>        to be able to create structured lists in email.
>
> I don't know how this would be possible.  The org-mode keymap would
> take over, no key from the current major mode would keep working.
> Orgtbl used a rather complicated trick to function in tables while
> leaving things to the major mode outside tables.  I don't see how a
> similar trick could work for the whole file.
>
> One could construct a restricted minor mode with some functionality -
> what stuff should be in there?

I know this is not what you are asking for, but I find the following
very helpful when I want to use org-mode facilities to quickly create a
piece of text whilst in an email message or, indeed, anywhere else:

(defun popup-input-buffer ()
  "Provide an input buffer in a specified mode."
  (interactive)
  (let ((buffer-name (generate-new-buffer-name "*input*"))
        (mode (intern
               (completing-read
                "Mode: "
                (mapcar (lambda (e)
                          (list (symbol-name e)))
                        (apropos-internal "-mode$" 'commandp))
                nil t))))
    (pop-to-buffer (make-indirect-buffer (current-buffer) buffer-name))
    (narrow-to-region (point) (point))
    (funcall mode)

    (let ((map (copy-keymap (current-local-map))))
      (define-key map (kbd "C-c C-c")
        (lambda ()
          (interactive)
          (kill-buffer nil)
          (delete-window)))
      (use-local-map map))
    (shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer)))

Whilst in some mode other than org-mode simply:

  M-x popup-input-buffer
  org-mode <ret>
  [...use org-mode...]
  C-c C-c

I can claim no credit for this idea, I found the function in a GPL'd file
of elisp snippets written by someone called Mark Triggs.

Phil

* Re: Re: Suggestions on list create/edit commands:
@ 2006-05-14 16:07         ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-05-14 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phil; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

this is nice.
given that newer emacsuns can have a region-specific region, I
wonder if it would be possible to turn this pop-input-buffer
trick around and allow one to create regions in an email message
that have org mode on.

@ 2006-05-14 16:16         ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-05-14 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phil; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Using the pop-input trick to invoke org inside email I ran into
another edge case: Org does not like creating bullets unless you
have at least one section heading --- I think this is a bit
unfortunate,  though I can see where the error is coming from;
the culprit is really outline mode

--

@ 2006-05-14 16:20           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-05-14 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This bug was already reported by Frank Ruell, and yesterday I finally
fixed it.  Will be in 4.30.

- Carsten

On May 14, 2006, at 18:16, T. V. Raman wrote:

> Using the pop-input trick to invoke org inside email I ran into
> another edge case: Org does not like creating bullets unless you
> have at least one section heading --- I think this is a bit
> unfortunate,  though I can see where the error is coming from;
> the culprit is really outline mode
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> --raman
>

> Email:  raman@users.sf.net
> WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
> AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
> PGP:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc
> Google: tv+raman
> IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Re: Suggestions on list create/edit commands:
@ 2006-05-14 16:32           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-05-14 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 14, 2006, at 18:07, T. V. Raman wrote:

> this is nice.
> given that newer emacsuns can have a region-specific region, I
> wonder if it would be possible to turn this pop-input-buffer
> trick around and allow one to create regions in an email message
> that have org mode on.

I don't know what you mean with region-specific regions, but I know
that MMM-mode allows multiple major modes in a single file.  Have not
tried it myself, though.

http://mmm-mode.sourceforge.net/

- Carsten