* Update for habit documentation
@ 2010-09-21 15:01 Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2010-09-21 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been using habits and found additional uses that are actually
implemented but not mentioned in the documentation.  What I've found
useful are:

1) Using a '++' repeat style for habits that have calendar constraints.
 I use this for some activities that must be done on Monday, or on
weekends.  This works, so there is no need to change the implementation.

2) Using a '+' repeat style is good for activities that can have a
backlog.  For example, preparing weekly reports is something that is
aided by the habit tracking information.  This also works.

This affects bullet 4, which presently implies that the repeat interval
must be a '.+' style. Would the following be clear:

4. The TODO has a scheduled date, usually with a '.+' style repeat
interval.  Other repeat styles may be used.  The '++' style can handle
habits with calendar constraints, e.g., "must be done on a Monday"; and
the '+' style can be useful for habits that can have a backlog.

R Horn

* Re: Update for habit documentation
@ 2010-09-29 16:07 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-29 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Robert,

would you like to formulate a patch to org.texi?

Thanks

- Carsten

@ 2010-10-13 19:51   ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2010-10-13 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Robert Horn, emacs-orgmode

On 09/29/2010 12:07 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> would you like to formulate a patch to org.texi?

This is my proposed patch. I hope I've done this right.

*** org.texi	2010-10-06 09:06:20.000000000 -0400
--- org.texi-original	2010-07-21 12:42:48.000000000 -0400
***************
*** 3809,3818 ****
  @item
  The property @code{STYLE} is set to the value @code{habit}.
  @item
! The TODO has a scheduled date, usually with a @code{.+} style repeat
interval.
! A @code{++} style may be appropriate for habits with time constraints,
e.g.,
! must be done on weekends, or a @code{+} style for an unusual habit
that can
! have a backlog, e.g., weekly reports.
  @item
  The TODO may also have minimum and maximum ranges specified by using the
  syntax @samp{.+2d/3d}, which says that you want to do the task at
least every
--- 3809,3815 ----
! The TODO has a scheduled date, with a @code{.+} style repeat interval.

@ 2010-10-14 12:07     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-14 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rjhorn; +Cc: Robert Horn, emacs-orgmode

Applied, thanks!

- Carsten

On Oct 13, 2010, at 9:51 PM, Robert Horn wrote:

> On 09/29/2010 12:07 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> would you like to formulate a patch to org.texi?
>>

> This is my proposed patch. I hope I've done this right.
>
> *** org.texi	2010-10-06 09:06:20.000000000 -0400
> --- org.texi-original	2010-07-21 12:42:48.000000000 -0400
> ***************
> *** 3809,3818 ****
>  @item
>  The property @code{STYLE} is set to the value @code{habit}.
>  @item
> ! The TODO has a scheduled date, usually with a @code{.+} style repeat
> interval.
> ! A @code{++} style may be appropriate for habits with time
> constraints,
> e.g.,
> ! must be done on weekends, or a @code{+} style for an unusual habit
> that can
> ! have a backlog, e.g., weekly reports.
>  @item
>  The TODO may also have minimum and maximum ranges specified by
> using the
>  syntax @samp{.+2d/3d}, which says that you want to do the task at
> least every
> --- 3809,3815 ----
>  @item
>  The property @code{STYLE} is set to the value @code{habit}.
>  @item
> ! The TODO has a scheduled date, with a @code{.+} style repeat
> interval.
>  @item
>  The TODO may also have minimum and maximum ranges specified by
> using the
>  syntax @samp{.+2d/3d}, which says that you want to do the task at
> least every

- Carsten