* org-edit-special on "inline latex"
@ 2012-12-04 14:56 Jonas Hörsch
From: Jonas Hörsch @ 2012-12-04 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi list,

i recently switched from using the verbose

#+begin_latex
\begin{eqnarray}
  8 &=& 7 + 1
\end{eqnarray}
#+end_latex

to just the "inline version"

\begin{eqnarray}
  8 &=& 7 + 1
\end{eqnarray}

which is: shorter to write thus also clearer to read and as a welcome
gadget even exports to html as well.

but i see also two drawbacks:
1. syntax highlighting is lost
2. org-edit-special (C-') doesn't switch to auctex anymore[fn:1]

it would be fantastic if it was possible for org-edit-special to work on
an enclosing \begin -- \end region the same way it did on a latex block,
i.e. show a new window with the snippet in latex mode.

in there one would have all the pleasures of syntax highlighting and
auctex shortcuts and whatelse.

is this already possible?

thanks,
jonas

Footnotes:

[fn:1] while org-cdlatex-mode is great, i sometimes prefer auctex

* Re: org-edit-special on "inline latex"
@ 2012-12-24  1:02 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-24  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Hörsch; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jonas,

coroa@online.de (Jonas Hörsch) writes:

> i recently switched from using the verbose
>
> #+begin_latex
> \begin{eqnarray}
>   8 &=& 7 + 1
> \end{eqnarray}
> #+end_latex
>
> to just the "inline version"
>
> \begin{eqnarray}
>   8 &=& 7 + 1
> \end{eqnarray}
>
> which is: shorter to write thus also clearer to read and as a welcome
> gadget even exports to html as well.
>
> but i see also two drawbacks:
> 1. syntax highlighting is lost
> 2. org-edit-special (C-') doesn't switch to auctex anymore[fn:1]
>

> it would be fantastic if it was possible for org-edit-special to work on
> an enclosing \begin -- \end region the same way it did on a latex block,
> i.e. show a new window with the snippet in latex mode.

The support for inline \begin{...} is a convenient hack, but it's
a hack and adding features of the #+begin_src/latex blocks to it
would only make it more hackish.  I suggest you use a code block
and C-c ' when necessary.

Best,

--
 Bastien