* org-crypt: Secure encrypted message against inadvertent change
@ 2015-08-23 21:31 AW
From: AW @ 2015-08-23 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using org-crypt. All text below a heading with the tag :crypt: becomes
encrypted with saving the file and looks like this:

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

hQEOAxn9DjwjX2oYEAQAgLl/58dss1VVgmRb1rGIaNV2I5P+smcDjhWa5/arTMPE
9wjxHUpU/HSflCwnV5609H3J9ZSVubCpaUbV3Da0jnDUJuljFbSqapRym1PW0hFn
ApfLwze3HTj+A3eODf+p3kbDjFnII9Rfn7lWQ/6OmMrisQbvbsWzS3K/crgqu+cD
/j6m3nDURonKGStv5h7sgaSRuLGzqXvHXEnS+d1ad1ZomgTD4abZNvDYt9Y039FE
xYwRphWSBs+vtQ34resZewCa4s7h5SES5j839vQPWI4VyA4uRrfzYATHnHtoxfwA
RQWzUTeS16FFBxnjqqTXGXqH9go25Ovnl1Np9c2H7veH0lQB/hpwGbUJRnYCx5Nd
UlZ/U+aKQJl3aD+ulgOxJhTQNb9ToXxMpwS3FitsZHVh8OaRBLdgjRVFstWw3NhT
RTQ3Og0+ts34iKW+u+2ock/LqiDYFx4=
=+xma
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

I really hope this example will not irritate your email software.

My notebook has one of those large touchpads and once in a while I hit it and
go on with typing, but the cursor shifted to text somewhere else and I'm
adding letters to a completely different paragraph, before I notice and
correct it.

Well, this evening I added some letters inadvertently inside a PGP message,
because the touchpad shifted to cursor to an encrypted paragraph. If I saved
the file, the encrypted paragraph would have become un-decryptable (I tested
this: decrypting no longer is possible).

Unfortunately I won't always realise what happened, e.g. if I don't watch
while dictating into a speech recognition (Dragon Nat. Speak.).

And the encrypted parts are not needed often. So the destroyed PGP message
might make it into my backups and if I try to encrypt it a year later...

Why isn't the text between

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----

and

-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

read-only as a default ?

Really, an inadvertent change can destroy valuable information and it i

* Re: org-crypt: Secure encrypted message against inadvertent change
@ 2015-08-23 22:32 ` gershman
From: gershman @ 2015-08-23 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AW, emacs-orgmode

If it helps, though aside from the question, all GPG lines (except the last 2) are 64 chars(if memory serves).  A little scripting and decryption should be plausible (possible in reasonable time), especially if chars were only added and not deleted/changed.

@ 2015-08-23 23:54 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-08-23 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AW; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am not sure if you put the comment on this post:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/09/13/Make-some-org-sections-read-only/

but it is possible to setup a hook that makes headings read-only. You
could do that for headings tagged crypt, for example.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

@ 2015-08-24 18:42   ` AW
From: AW @ 2015-08-24 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: John Kitchin

Am Sonntag, 23. August 2015, 19:54:51 schrieb John Kitchin:
> I am not sure if you put the comment on this post:
> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/09/13/Make-some-org-sections-rea
> d-only/
>
> but it is possible to setup a hook that makes headings read-only. You
> could do that for headings tagged crypt, for example.

Dear John,

thank you. I simply changed "read_only" to "crypt" in the functions you
developed. This functions prevent a change of encrypted text, which I think is
really an improvment.

===================

(defun org-mark-readonly ()
  (interactive)
  (org-map-entries
   (lambda ()
     (let* ((element (org-element-at-point))
            (begin (org-element-property :begin element))
            (end (org-element-property :end element)))
       (add-text-properties begin (- end 1) '(read-only t))))
   "crypt")
 (message "Made readonly!"))

(defun org-remove-readonly ()
  (interactive)
  (org-map-entries
   (lambda ()
     (let* ((element (org-element-at-point))
            (begin (org-element-property :begin element))
            (end (org-element-property :end element))
            (inhibit-read-only t))
         (remove-text-properties begin (- end 1) '(read-only t))))
     "crypt"))

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mark-readonly)

===================

Thus before I can use "org-decrypt-entry" I have to put the cursor under the
headline with the tag ":crypt:" and call "org-remove-readonly".

I  S U G G E S T  to  put this into org-crypt and change the commands org-
decrypt-entry and org-encrypt-entry: Encrypted text shall be read-only, and
org-decrypt-entry removes this.

Sorry, I'm a user without knowledge of Lisp, unfortunately I can't do that
myself. But it would be a valuable improvement of org-crypt.

Regards,

Alexander

@ 2015-08-26 21:04     ` AW
From: AW @ 2015-08-26 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Montag, 24. August 2015, 20:42:01 schrieb AW:
> Am Sonntag, 23. August 2015, 19:54:51 schrieb John Kitchin:
> > I am not sure if you put the comment on this post:
> > http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/09/13/Make-some-org-sections-r
> > ea d-only/
> >
> > but it is possible to setup a hook that makes headings read-only. You
> > could do that for headings tagged crypt, for example.
>
> Dear John,
>
> thank you. I simply changed "read_only" to "crypt" in the functions you
> developed. This functions prevent a change of encrypted text, which I think
> is really an improvment.
>
> ===================
>
> (defun org-mark-readonly ()
>   (interactive)
>   (org-map-entries
>    (lambda ()
>      (let* ((element (org-element-at-point))
>             (begin (org-element-property :begin element))
>             (end (org-element-property :end element)))
>        (add-text-properties begin (- end 1) '(read-only t))))
>    "crypt")
>  (message "Made readonly!"))
>

> (defun org-remove-readonly ()
>   (interactive)
>   (org-map-entries
>    (lambda ()
>      (let* ((element (org-element-at-point))
>             (begin (org-element-property :begin element))
>             (end (org-element-property :end element))
>             (inhibit-read-only t))
>          (remove-text-properties begin (- end 1) '(read-only t))))
>      "crypt"))
>
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mark-readonly)
>

> ===================
>
> Thus before I can use "org-decrypt-entry" I have to put the cursor under the
> headline with the tag ":crypt:" and call "org-remove-readonly".
>
> I  S U G G E S T  to  put this into org-crypt and change the commands org-
> decrypt-entry and org-encrypt-entry: Encrypted text shall be read-only, and
> org-decrypt-entry removes this.
>
> Sorry, I'm a user without knowledge of Lisp, unfortunately I can't do that
> myself. But it would be a valuable improvement of org-crypt.

I wrote to the person mentioned in org-crypt.el as maintainer and received the
message that he no longer uses org-mode and no longer maintains org-crypt.el.

What a pity, org-mode is better than ever.

* Re: org-crypt: Secure encrypted message against inadvertent change
@ 2015-09-08 14:48     ` Hymie!
From: Hymie! @ 2015-09-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

AW <alexander.willand <at> t-online.de> writes:

> Dear John,
>
> thank you. I simply changed "read_only" to "crypt" in the functions you
> developed. This functions prevent a change of encrypted text, which I
think is
> really an improvment.

This is awesome.  But I have a follow-up questions.

This function marks my buffer as "modified".  Is there any way to
automatically have the org-mark-readonly function turn off the modified flag?

This isn't a major problem, just a nicety.

--hymie!