* org-beamer: Insert \framebreak between blocks
@ 2023-10-24 18:54 yaxp
From: yaxp @ 2023-10-24 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Adding  a framebreak between blocks does not work.

```

#+latex_class: beamer

# [snip]

* Example :B_frame:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_opt: allowframebreaks
:BEAMER_env: frame
:END:
** This should be on frame 1
- Some text

#+LATEX: \framebreak

** This should be on frame 2
- Some text

```

Exporting this to PDF and examining the resulting file reveals that the
\framebreak is inserted before the \end{block}.

```

% [snip]

\begin{frame}[allowframebreaks]{Example}
\begin{block}{This should be on frame 1}
\begin{itemize}
\item Some text
\framebreak % This is the offending line
\end{itemize}
\end{block}
\begin{block}{This should be on frame 2}
\begin{itemize}
\item Some text
\end{itemize}
\end{block}
\end{frame}

% [snip]

```

How do I not have this?I want the two blocks to be on different frames.

Manually fixing the .tex file fixes the issue but I don't want to do
that for large files.

Fixed .tex file included for completion:

```

% [snip]

\begin{block}{This should be on frame 1}
\begin{itemize}
\item Some text

% ^1

\end{itemize}
\end{block}
\framebreak % Moved this line from ^1.

--
(yaxp me) => t

* Re: org-beamer: Insert \framebreak between blocks
@ 2023-10-25  9:00 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2023-10-25  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yaxp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday, 25 Oct 2023 at 00:24, yaxp wrote:
> Adding  a framebreak between blocks does not work.

[...]

> Exporting this to PDF and examining the resulting file reveals that the
> \framebreak is inserted before the \end{block}.

Put the \framebreak in a block with heading ignored:

** break block                                        :B_ignoreheading:
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
:END:

\framebreak

This causes the previous block to be terminated.

Side note: you don't need the #+latex: if the LaTeX command is simple
(for varying definitions of simple.. ;-)).

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.6.7-661-g34ee6f in Emacs 30.0.50

* Re: org-beamer: Insert \framebreak between blocks
@ 2023-10-25 16:02   ` yaxp
From: yaxp @ 2023-10-25 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 25/10/23 14:30, Fraga, Eric wrote:
> Put the \framebreak in a block with heading ignored:

This works, thank you.

However, I would prefer to have a better solution than this because this
"breaks" the flow of the file. I'd like to publish the .org file too,
and I hope to make it just as convenient to read as the produced PDF.
This is one of the reasons I chose to make beamers with org instead of
plain LaTeX.

Also, is there any reasoning behind why the current behavior is the way
it is? Is there any use case for generating a framebreak before the
\end{block}? I understand it happens because that's how the org grammar
works but I wonder if there is something that can be done.

> Side note: you don't need the #+latex: if the LaTeX command is simple (for varying definitions of simple.. ;-)).

Nice! Thank you :D :D

--

@ 2023-10-25 16:13   ` yaxp
From: yaxp @ 2023-10-25 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

@ 2023-10-25 16:27     ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2023-10-25 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yaxp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday, 25 Oct 2023 at 21:32, yaxp wrote:
> However, I would prefer to have a better solution than this because this
> "breaks" the flow of the file.

It does break the flow but only because *you* are imposing the break.  I
don't know of any other (more elegant) way to achieve what you want.
Maybe others do.

> I'd like to publish the .org file too, and I hope to make it just as
> convenient to read as the produced PDF.

It's difficult to have the marked text (which has both semantic and
specific typographical directives) be as "clean" as the resulting PDF.
org is good at minimising noise in the file but you cannot remove it
completely.  Sometimes macros can help but probably not in this case
without being fragile.

> Also, is there any reasoning behind why the current behavior is the way
> it is?

Yes, very simply: there is no way to indicate the end of a "block".  The
start is defined by the heading but only ends when another heading at
the same or higher level is started.  This is related to a longstanding
desire by many to have the ability to explicitly end a subheading.  The
grammar does not allow for this and there have been many discussions on
the mailing list over the years about this.  The situtation is unlikely
to change.

eric
--

@ 2023-10-25 16:32       ` yaxp
From: yaxp @ 2023-10-25 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 25/10/23 21:57, Fraga, Eric wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 Oct 2023 at 21:32, yaxp wrote:
>> However, I would prefer to have a better solution than this because this
>> "breaks" the flow of the file.
> It does break the flow but only because *you* are imposing the break.  I
> don't know of any other (more elegant) way to achieve what you want.
> Maybe others do.
>
>> I'd like to publish the .org file too, and I hope to make it just as
>> convenient to read as the produced PDF.
> It's difficult to have the marked text (which has both semantic and
> specific typographical directives) be as "clean" as the resulting PDF.
> org is good at minimising noise in the file but you cannot remove it
> completely.  Sometimes macros can help but probably not in this case
> without being fragile.
>
>> Also, is there any reasoning behind why the current behavior is the way
>> it is?
> Yes, very simply: there is no way to indicate the end of a "block".  The
> start is defined by the heading but only ends when another heading at
> the same or higher level is started.  This is related to a longstanding
> desire by many to have the ability to explicitly end a subheading.  The
> grammar does not allow for this and there have been many discussions on
> the mailing list over the years about this.  The situtation is unlikely
> to change.
>
> eric

Makes sense. Thank you :)

--

@ 2023-10-25 16:44       ` yaxp
From: yaxp @ 2023-10-25 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

On 2023-10-25 21:57, Fraga, Eric wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 Oct 2023 at 21:32, yaxp wrote:
>> However, I would prefer to have a better solution than this because
>> this
>> "breaks" the flow of the file.
>
> It does break the flow but only because *you* are imposing the break.
> don't know of any other (more elegant) way to achieve what you want.
> Maybe others do.
>
>> I'd like to publish the .org file too, and I hope to make it just as
>> convenient to read as the produced PDF.
>
> It's difficult to have the marked text (which has both semantic and
> specific typographical directives) be as "clean" as the resulting PDF.
> org is good at minimising noise in the file but you cannot remove it
> completely.  Sometimes macros can help but probably not in this case
> without being fragile.
>
>> Also, is there any reasoning behind why the current behavior is the
>> way
>> it is?
>
> Yes, very simply: there is no way to indicate the end of a "block".
> The
> start is defined by the heading but only ends when another heading at
> the same or higher level is started.  This is related to a longstanding
> desire by many to have the ability to explicitly end a subheading.  The
> grammar does not allow for this and there have been many discussions on
> the mailing list over the years about this.  The situtation is unlikely
> to change.
>
> eric

Makes sense. Thank you :D

--