* Need help publishing subdirectories
@ 2010-10-12  3:59 Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-12  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

I'm trying to set up an org project to publish my personal website. I
like to use friendly urls, like the one below.

http://www.example.tld/jeff/teaching/2010/fall/econ101/index.html

My publishing set up is a bit of a mess, with a project handling the
root, the "jeff" subdirectory, and one handling the "teaching"
sub-sub-directory. I have ":recursive t" set on the teaching
directory, since I don't want to define a new project for every course
I teach. So far, publishing works as intended, except that the
".../econ101/img/" subdirectory contents aren't copied to the
publishing directory. Switching on ":base-extension "any"" doesn't fix
this (in fact, it prevents the project from being published at all).
The relevant portion of my project:

("teaching"
         :base-directory "~/org/ftr/jeff/teaching/"
         :publishing-directory "~/Sites/FTR/jeff/teaching"
         :publishing-function (org-publish-org-to-html
org-publish-org-to-org org-publish-org-to-pdf org-publish-attachment)
         :recursive t
         :style-include-default nil
         ;; :base-extension "any"
         )

In the ".../econ101/syllabus.org" file, an inline image calls
[[./img/example.jpg]]. The "img" directory exists in my source
directory. The directory is copied to my publishing directory, but not
the files within the directory. I noticed also that emacs tried to
open an "example.jpg" buffer, which I thought was weird.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Best regards,
Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: Need help publishing subdirectories
@ 2010-10-12  5:29 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-12  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

I've managed to push the extra source files out with the org-static
configuration found at worg.[1]

But now, for some reason, I've lost all my options (no TOC, no section
numbers, custom stylesheet, etc). Anyone care to look at my config
off-list and offer advice?

I'm beginning to think it's something silly like an unescaped
quotation mark, but I've looked at every simple solution I can think
of.

Jeff

    [1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.php

--

@ 2010-10-12 15:29   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-12 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

The relevant portion of my configuration is below.

(setq org-publish-project-alist nil)
(setq org-publish-project-alist
      '(("ftr-static"
         :base-directory "~/org/ftr"
         :base-extension "css\\|js\\|png\\|jpg\\|gif\\|pdf\\|mp3\\|ogg\\|swf"
         :publishing-directory "~/Sites/FTR/"
         :recursive t
         :publishing-function (org-publish-attachment)
         :table-of-contents nil
         :todo-keywords nil
         :section-numbers nil
         :recursive t
         )
        ("ftr-jeff"
         :base-directory "~/org/ftr/jeff"
         :base-extension "org"
         :publishing-directory "~/Sites/FTR/jeff"
         :recursive t
         :publishing-function (org-publish-org-to-html org-publish-org-to-org)
         :htmlized-source
         :table-of-contents nil
         :todo-keywords nil
         :section-numbers nil
         :recursive t
         )
        ("ftr"
         :components ( "ftr-static"
                       "ftr-jeff"
                      )
         )))

The table of contents and section number options are being ignored
(possibly others). Any ideas?

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: Re: Need help publishing subdirectories
@ 2010-10-12 15:38     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-12 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-mode ml

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:

> The relevant portion of my configuration is below.
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist nil)
> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>       '(("ftr-static"
>          :base-directory "~/org/ftr"
>          :base-extension "css\\|js\\|png\\|jpg\\|gif\\|pdf\\|mp3\\|ogg\\|swf"
>          :publishing-directory "~/Sites/FTR/"
>          :recursive t
>          :publishing-function (org-publish-attachment)
>          :table-of-contents nil
>          :todo-keywords nil
>          :section-numbers nil
>          :recursive t
>          )
>         ("ftr-jeff"
>          :base-directory "~/org/ftr/jeff"
>          :base-extension "org"
>          :publishing-directory "~/Sites/FTR/jeff"
>          :recursive t
>          :publishing-function (org-publish-org-to-html org-publish-org-to-org)
>          :htmlized-source
>          :table-of-contents nil
>          :todo-keywords nil
>          :section-numbers nil
>          :recursive t
>          )
>         ("ftr"
>          :components ( "ftr-static"
>                        "ftr-jeff"
>                       )
>          )))
>
> The table of contents and section number options are being ignored
> (possibly others). Any ideas?

Isn't that what *should* happen if the :table-of-contents and :section-numbers
options are set to nil?

Nick

@ 2010-10-12 16:41       ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-12 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode ml

>> The relevant portion of my configuration is below.
>>
>> (setq org-publish-project-alist nil)
>> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>>       '(("ftr-static"
>>          :base-directory "~/org/ftr"
>>          :base-extension "css\\|js\\|png\\|jpg\\|gif\\|pdf\\|mp3\\|ogg\\|swf"
>>          :publishing-directory "~/Sites/FTR/"
>>          :recursive t
>>          :publishing-function (org-publish-attachment)
>>          :table-of-contents nil
>>          :todo-keywords nil
>>          :section-numbers nil
>>          :recursive t
>>          )
>>         ("ftr-jeff"
>>          :base-directory "~/org/ftr/jeff"
>>          :base-extension "org"
>>          :publishing-directory "~/Sites/FTR/jeff"
>>          :recursive t
>>          :publishing-function (org-publish-org-to-html org-publish-org-to-org)
>>          :htmlized-source
>>          :table-of-contents nil
>>          :todo-keywords nil
>>          :section-numbers nil
>>          :recursive t
>>          )
>>         ("ftr"
>>          :components ( "ftr-static"
>>                        "ftr-jeff"
>>                       )
>>          )))
>>
>> The table of contents and section number options are being ignored
>> (possibly others). Any ideas?
>
> Isn't that what *should* happen if the :table-of-contents and :section-numbers
> options are set to nil?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant to say was the options
are being ignored, such that table of contents and section numbers are
being used, as if these variables were set to non-nil.

--

@ 2010-10-12 17:24         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-12 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-mode ml

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The relevant portion of my configuration is below.
> >>
> >> (setq org-publish-project-alist nil)
> >> (setq org-publish-project-alist
> >>       '(("ftr-static"
> >>          :base-directory "~/org/ftr"
> >>          :base-extension "css\\|js\\|png\\|jpg\\|gif\\|pdf\\|mp3\\|ogg\\|swf"
> >>          :publishing-directory "~/Sites/FTR/"
> >>          :recursive t
> >>          :publishing-function (org-publish-attachment)
> >>          :table-of-contents nil
> >>          :todo-keywords nil
> >>          :section-numbers nil
> >>          :recursive t
> >>          )
> >>         ("ftr-jeff"
> >>          :base-directory "~/org/ftr/jeff"
> >>          :base-extension "org"
> >>          :publishing-directory "~/Sites/FTR/jeff"
> >>          :recursive t
> >>          :publishing-function (org-publish-org-to-html org-publish-org-to-org)
> >>          :htmlized-source
> >>          :table-of-contents nil
> >>          :todo-keywords nil
> >>          :section-numbers nil
> >>          :recursive t
> >>          )
> >>         ("ftr"
> >>          :components ( "ftr-static"
> >>                        "ftr-jeff"
> >>                       )
> >>          )))
> >>
> >> The table of contents and section number options are being ignored
> >> (possibly others). Any ideas?
> >
> > Isn't that what *should* happen if the :table-of-contents and :section-numbers
> > options are set to nil?
>
> Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant to say was the options
> are being ignored, such that table of contents and section numbers are
> being used, as if these variables were set to non-nil.

So, you are changing the project settings but you don't see the changes
in the html files? Have you investigated caching effects? Not only at
the web browser but also at the org-mode publishing level? org-publish
keeps timestamps on org files and does not update the html files if they
have not been changed.

Nick

* Re: Re: Need help publishing subdirectories
@ 2010-10-12 17:42           ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-12 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode ml

> So, you are changing the project settings but you don't see the changes
> in the html files? Have you investigated caching effects? Not only at
> the web browser but also at the org-mode publishing level? org-publish
> keeps timestamps on org files and does not update the html files if they
> have not been changed.

Thanks for your help, Nick. I have been deleting ~/.org-timestamps/
when republishing, and forcing a refresh of the web browser.

If I open the HTML files in an editor, I can see the table of contents
in the file, and there is no customer stylesheet link, and there is
the default style wrapped in CDATA.

Jeff

--

@ 2010-10-12 18:10             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-12 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-mode ml

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So, you are changing the project settings but you don't see the changes
> > in the html files? Have you investigated caching effects? Not only at
> > the web browser but also at the org-mode publishing level? org-publish
> > keeps timestamps on org files and does not update the html files if they
> > have not been changed.
>
> Thanks for your help, Nick. I have been deleting ~/.org-timestamps/
> when republishing, and forcing a refresh of the web browser.
>
> If I open the HTML files in an editor, I can see the table of contents
> in the file, and there is no customer stylesheet link, and there is
> the default style wrapped in CDATA.

OK - let me try to summarize and see if I have understood correctly:

o in your org-publish-project-alist you set :table-of-contents to nil
o you clear the timestamps directory
o you run org-publish and you examine the resulting html file and it
  contains a TOC.
o the html file's modification time is correct, i.e. it was updated
  a few seconds ago.

Correct so far?

I cannot reproduce this in my setup:

Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.654.g3afc)

Unless somebody can see what's wrong, if you don't mind doing some elisp
debugging, I 'd suggest adding a (debug) call in org-publish-file and
checking the value of the plist before the publishing function is
called (look for the big, marked section below for more details):

(defun org-publish-file (filename &optional project no-cache)
  "Publish file FILENAME from PROJECT.
If NO-CACHE is not nil, do not initialize org-publish-cache and
write it to disk.  This is needed, since this function is used to
publish single files, when entire projects are published.
See `org-publish-projects'."
  (let* ((project
	  (or project
	      (or (org-publish-get-project-from-filename filename)
		  (error "File %s not part of any known project"
			 (abbreviate-file-name filename)))))
	 (project-plist (cdr project))
	 (ftname (expand-file-name filename))
	 (publishing-function
	  (or (plist-get project-plist :publishing-function)
	      'org-publish-org-to-html))
	 (base-dir
	  (file-name-as-directory
	   (expand-file-name
	    (or (plist-get project-plist :base-directory)
		(error "Project %s does not have :base-directory defined"
		       (car project))))))
	 (pub-dir
	  (file-name-as-directory
	   (file-truename
	    (or (plist-get project-plist :publishing-directory)
		(error "Project %s does not have :publishing-directory defined"
		       (car project))))))
	 tmp-pub-dir)

    (unless no-cache
      (org-publish-initialize-cache (car project)))

    (setq tmp-pub-dir
	  (file-name-directory
	   (concat pub-dir
		   (and (string-match (regexp-quote base-dir) ftname)
			(substring ftname (match-end 0))))))

;;;VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
;;; add a debug call, reeavaluate the function, do the publish and when
;;; you are dumped into the debugger, say e project-plist <RET> and see
;;; what :table-of-contents is set to. If it's what it's supposed to be,
;;; continue execution with c and look at the html file, both contents
;;; and modification time. If it's still wrong in terms of contents but
;;; right in terms of modification time, there is something wrong with
;;; the publishing function: you might want to step through it with
;;; edebug, checking things along the way.

    (debug)

;;;^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    (if (listp publishing-function)
	;; allow chain of publishing functions
	(mapc (lambda (f)
		(when (org-publish-needed-p filename pub-dir f tmp-pub-dir)
		  (funcall f project-plist filename tmp-pub-dir)
		  (org-publish-update-timestamp filename pub-dir f)))
	      publishing-function)
      (when (org-publish-needed-p filename pub-dir publishing-function
				  tmp-pub-dir)
	(funcall publishing-function project-plist filename tmp-pub-dir)
	(org-publish-update-timestamp
	 filename pub-dir publishing-function)))
    (unless no-cache (org-publish-write-cache-file))))

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Re: Need help publishing subdirectories
@ 2010-10-12 18:13             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-12 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-mode ml

... and just to make sure: you either re-evaluate
org-publish-project-alist or you restart emacs after changing it?

Nick

* Re: Re: Need help publishing subdirectories
@ 2010-10-13  4:24               ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-13  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode ml

> OK - let me try to summarize and see if I have understood correctly:
>
> o in your org-publish-project-alist you set :table-of-contents to nil
> o you clear the timestamps directory
> o you run org-publish and you examine the resulting html file and it
>  contains a TOC.
> o the html file's modification time is correct, i.e. it was updated
>  a few seconds ago.
>
> Correct so far?

Correct.

> Unless somebody can see what's wrong, if you don't mind doing some elisp
> debugging, I 'd suggest adding a (debug) call in org-publish-file and
> checking the value of the plist before the publishing function is
> called (look for the big, marked section below for more details):

I'll do my best. I don't know a lot about emacs, but I'm learning.
What was the function for? I guess I should be editing an org-mode
source file? Do I need to recompile after adding the debug call?

Thanks again!
Jeff

--

@ 2010-10-13 15:23               ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-13 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode ml

(We had a bit of discussion off list. I had a fresh crack at the
problem this morning, so I'm copying the list on this message.)

>    (setq tmp-pub-dir
>          (file-name-directory
>           (concat pub-dir
>                   (and (string-match (regexp-quote base-dir) ftname)
>                        (substring ftname (match-end 0))))))
>
> ;;;VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
> ;;; add a debug call, reeavaluate the function, do the publish and when
> ;;; you are dumped into the debugger, say e project-plist <RET> and see
> ;;; what :table-of-contents is set to. If it's what it's supposed to be,
> ;;; continue execution with c and look at the html file, both contents
> ;;; and modification time. If it's still wrong in terms of contents but
> ;;; right in terms of modification time, there is something wrong with
> ;;; the publishing function: you might want to step through it with
> ;;; edebug, checking things along the way.
>
>    (debug)
>
> ;;;^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was stopping the debug process after pressing "R project-plist RET".
I've finished stepping through the project with "c" and the
project-plist contains the right project at every step, with the right
settings, ":table-of-contents nil" and ":section-numbers nil". The
file modification times are correct, but the content is wrong. There
are section numbers, a table of contents, and the file lacks my
defined linked style sheet.

Could you walk me through "edebug"? Simply replace "(debug)" above
with "(edebug)" didn't do the trick.

Thanks!
Jeff

--

@ 2010-10-13 18:02                 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-13 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode ml

I moved ":htmlized-source" to the bottom of the project definition and
it fixed the problem.

In the examples I've seen, ":htmlized-source" has an empty value. I
hypothesize the key was seeing the next key as a value, and so wasn't
picking up any subsequent keys.

I just loaded my publishing setup from a few days ago and edited every
line that had ":htmlized-source" to ":htmlized-source t" and my
problem is solved.

Thanks so much for the help! Even if it didn't help discover the
problem, I learned a good bit about debugging, and I edited my first
source file, so that's something to be proud of! :-)

Jeff

--

@ 2010-10-14  6:12                   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-14  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-mode ml

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:

> I moved ":htmlized-source" to the bottom of the project definition and
> it fixed the problem.
>
> In the examples I've seen, ":htmlized-source" has an empty value. I
> hypothesize the key was seeing the next key as a value, and so wasn't
> picking up any subsequent keys.

I think you are right: the code uses plist-get to get property values
and the doc string for plist-get says:

,----
| plist-get is a built-in function in `C source code'.
|
| (plist-get PLIST PROP)
|
| Extract a value from a property list.
| PLIST is a property list, which is a list of the form
| (PROP1 VALUE1 PROP2 VALUE2...).  This function returns the value
| corresponding to the given PROP, or nil if PROP is not one of the
| properties on the list.  This function never signals an error.
`----

apparently with no provision for a missing value. Which means that
org needs some additional error checking to catch situations like
this. Maybe we need a wrapper around plist-get to check things.
I wonder: is it OK to use the fact that in org, all property names
start with a colon, to detect missing values? Probably not, since
a value can also start with a colon.

> I just loaded my publishing setup from a few days ago and edited every
> line that had ":htmlized-source" to ":htmlized-source t" and my
> problem is solved.
>
> Thanks so much for the help! Even if it didn't help discover the
> problem, I learned a good bit about debugging, and I edited my first
> source file, so that's something to be proud of! :-)

... and it wasn't too bad, right? But inspired guessing will beat
debugging drudgery any day.

Congrats,
Nick

* Re: Re: Need help publishing subdirectories
@ 2010-10-14  7:30                   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-14  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-mode ml

On Oct 13, 2010, at 8:02 PM, Jeff Horn wrote:

> I moved ":htmlized-source" to the bottom of the project definition and
> it fixed the problem.
>
> In the examples I've seen, ":htmlized-source" has an empty value. I
> hypothesize the key was seeing the next key as a value, and so wasn't
> picking up any subsequent keys.
>
> I just loaded my publishing setup from a few days ago and edited every
> line that had ":htmlized-source" to ":htmlized-source t" and my
> problem is solved.

Indeed.  Looking back on your example, your property list was indeed
ill-formed.  It must have an even number of elements, so every key
needs a value.  It is hard to protect against this problem.  Maybe I
could build a better customize interface to this variable, so that its
value could be safely built in this way.

Thanks to both you and Nick for the persistence to resolve this.

- Carsten

> Thanks so much for the help! Even if it didn't help discover the
> problem,
> I learned a good bit about debugging, and I edited my first
> source file, so that's something to be proud of! :-)
>
> Jeff
>
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> (We had a bit of discussion off list. I had a fresh crack at the
>> problem this morning, so I'm copying the list on this message.)
>>
>>>    (setq tmp-pub-dir
>>>          (file-name-directory
>>>           (concat pub-dir
>>>                   (and (string-match (regexp-quote base-dir) ftname)
>>>                        (substring ftname (match-end 0))))))
>>>
>>> ;;;VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
>>> ;;; add a debug call, reeavaluate the function, do the publish and
>>> when
>>> ;;; you are dumped into the debugger, say e project-plist <RET>
>>> and see
>>> ;;; what :table-of-contents is set to. If it's what it's supposed
>>> to be,
>>> ;;; continue execution with c and look at the html file, both
>>> contents
>>> ;;; and modification time. If it's still wrong in terms of
>>> contents but
>>> ;;; right in terms of modification time, there is something wrong
>>> with
>>> ;;; the publishing function: you might want to step through it with
>>> ;;; edebug, checking things along the way.
>>>
>>>    (debug)
>>>
>>> ;;;^
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> I was stopping the debug process after pressing "R project-plist
>> RET".
>> I've finished stepping through the project with "c" and the
>> project-plist contains the right project at every step, with the
>> right
>> settings, ":table-of-contents nil" and ":section-numbers nil". The
>> file modification times are correct, but the content is wrong. There
>> are section numbers, a table of contents, and the file lacks my
>> defined linked style sheet.
>>
>> Could you walk me through "edebug"? Simply replace "(debug)" above
>> with "(edebug)" didn't do the trick.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Jeff
>>

>> --
>> Jeffrey Horn
>> Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
>> George Mason University
>>
>> (704) 271-4797
>> jhorn@gmu.edu
>> jrhorn424@gmail.com
>>

> --
> Jeffrey Horn
> Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
> George Mason University
>
> (704) 271-4797
> jhorn@gmu.edu
> jrhorn424@gmail.com

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Need help publishing subdirectories
@ 2010-10-14 11:53                     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-14 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode ml

>> Thanks so much for the help! Even if it didn't help discover the
>> problem, I learned a good bit about debugging, and I edited my first
>> source file, so that's something to be proud of! :-)
>>

> ... and it wasn't too bad, right? But inspired guessing will beat
> debugging drudgery any day.

It wasn't too bad. You've been great, and I learned something, so my
headaches weren't in vain!