* Tracking multiple checklists under a header?
@ 2008-11-17 15:50 Oliver Charles
From: Oliver Charles @ 2008-11-17 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I've just expanded my Org-mode addiction a bit more, and plan to make
use of checklists for personal unit testing [1]:

Here's an example of how I have things set up. This template is copied
to each day in my diary, and I check everything off before I go to bed

* Personal Unit Test Templates
*** Day [%]
    - [/] Health
      - [ ] I got out of bed on first alarm call
      - [ ] I had a shower this morning
      - [ ] I brushed my teeth this morning
      - [ ] I had a substantial breakfast
      - [ ] I didn't smoke today
      - [ ] I didn't drink today
    - [/] Commitments
      - [ ] I attended all my lectures today
      - [ ] You get the idea :-)

There's more, of course - but I've hit a bit of a problem. If I update
a "Health" task, the the "Day" % indicator gets updated as well - much
as I'd expect. But if I update the commitment (for example, checking
"I attended all my lectures") then the day % indicator does *not* get
updated.

This is a bit of a pain, because the idea is to have a nice easy to
scan view of my progress.

Is there anyway to acheive what I want?

Ollie

* Re: Tracking multiple checklists under a header?
@ 2008-11-18  8:10 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-18  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Charles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Oliver,

unfortunately, nested checkbox statistics is not supported, and
is too hard to implement for me right now.

Just go without the cookie in the Day line, and flip the Day entry
to CHILDREN visibility to see how you are doing.

- Carsten

@ 2008-11-18  8:14 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2008-11-18  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

--- Lun 17/11/08, Oliver Charles <oliver.g.charles@googlemail.com> ha scritto:
Oliver,

> Here's an example of how I have things set up.
>
> * Personal Unit Test Templates
> *** Day [%]
>     - [/] Health
>       - [ ] I got out of bed on first alarm call
>       - [ ] I had a shower this morning
>       - [ ] I brushed my teeth this morning
>       - [ ] I had a substantial breakfast
>       - [ ] I didn't smoke today
>       - [ ] I didn't drink today
>     - [/] Commitments
>       - [ ] I attended all my lectures today
>       - [ ] You get the idea :-)
>
> There's more, of course - but I've hit a bit of a
> problem. If I update
> a "Health" task, the the "Day" %
> indicator gets updated as well

Well it really does *not* in the way you want ;-)
Look at the example:
*** Day [16%]
    - [1/6] Health
      - [ ] I got out of bed on first alarm call
      - [ ] I had a shower this morning
      - [ ] I brushed my teeth this morning
      - [ ] I had a substantial breakfast
      - [ ] I didn't smoke today
      - [X] I didn't drink today
    - [0/4] Commitments
      - [ ] I attended all my lectures today
      - [ ] You get the idea :-)
      - [ ] nine
      - [ ] tenth issue
(/ 100 6.0)
------------------
The percentage of the Day is 16%, that is 100/6 (16.666666),
and it is not 10%

This means that the other four Commitments are *not* considered
in the total of the Day.

> This is a bit of a pain, because the idea is to have a nice
> easy to
> scan view of my progress.
>
> Is there anyway to acheive what I want?

I think that you should have two different headlines
and expand them:
*** Day
:PROPERTIES:
:VISIBILITY: showall
:END:
****  [1/6] Health
       - [ ] I got out of bed on first alarm call
       - [ ] I had a shower this morning
       - [ ] I brushed my teeth this morning
       - [ ] I had a substantial breakfast
       - [ ] I didn't smoke today
       - [X] I didn't drink today
****  [0/4] Commitments
       - [ ] I attended all my lectures today
       - [ ] You get the idea :-)
       - [ ] nine
       - [ ] tenth
HTH

Giovanni

      Unisciti alla community di Io fotografo e video, il nuovo corso di fotografia di Gazzetta dello sport:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/iofotografoevideo