* Statistics in Org-Tables
@ 2013-02-20 16:47 Rodolfo Aramayo
From: Rodolfo Aramayo @ 2013-02-20 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Simple question: What is the best way to configure/find out how to
calculate Median, Standard Deviation in an org-table?
Thanks
--Rodolfo

* Re: Statistics in Org-Tables
@ 2013-02-20 18:04 ` JBash
From: JBash @ 2013-02-20 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Aramayo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

Rodolfo,

I think this is what you're looking for.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-spreadsheet-intro.html

Hope this helps.

Jerry

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Rodolfo Aramayo <raramayo@gmail.com>wrote:

> Simple question: What is the best way to configure/find out how to
> calculate Median, Standard Deviation in an org-table?
> Thanks
> --Rodolfo

* Re: Statistics in Org-Tables
@ 2013-02-20 18:13   ` Rodolfo Aramayo
From: Rodolfo Aramayo @ 2013-02-20 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JBash; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

Thanks Jerry, but actually I was looking for where to find definitions of:
Median
Standard Deviation, etc

If I say:

@11$13=Median@3..@10

Org-mode prints into the corresponding cell:

Median [41, 103.5, 75.5, 101, 87.5, 111.5, 116.5, 89.5]

Which is not what I want. I want the actual Median...

Thanks

--Rodolfo

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM, JBash <bashveank@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rodolfo,
>
> I think this is what you're looking for.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-spreadsheet-intro.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jerry
>

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Rodolfo Aramayo <raramayo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Simple question: What is the best way to configure/find out how to
>> calculate Median, Standard Deviation in an org-table?
>> Thanks
>> --Rodolfo

* Re: Statistics in Org-Tables
@ 2013-02-20 18:27 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-02-20 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodolfo Aramayo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rodolfo Aramayo <raramayo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Simple question: What is the best way to configure/find out how to
> calculate Median, Standard Deviation in an org-table?

There are calc functions to compute these things, but the layout of your
table will of course influence the formulas. Here's a simple example
that calculates the statistics for the second column - it uses the
@I..@II range reference notation to get the numbers between the first
and second separators and the @> (@>>, @>>>, etc.) notation to refer to
the last (last minus one, last minus two, etc.) row:

* mean, median, stdev

|      i |         x |
|--------+-----------|
|      1 |         3 |
|      2 |         1 |
|      3 |         1 |
|      4 |         2 |
|      5 |         1 |
|      6 |         3 |
|      7 |         4 |
|      8 |         1 |
|      9 |         1 |
|--------+-----------|
|   mean | 1.8888889 |
| median |         1 |
|   sdev | 1.1666667 |
|    sum |        17 |
#+TBLFM: @>$2=vsum(@I..@II) :: @>>>>$2=vmean(@I..@II) :: @>>>$2=vmedian(@I..@II) :: @>>$2=vsdev(@I..@II)

More details about such references are in the Org manual:

(info "(org) References")

More details about the calc functions are in the Calc manual:

(info "(calc) Single-variable statistics")

Nick