* org-table: Table Navigation esp. for multi-line cells?
@ 2010-08-27 10:29 Livin Stephen Sharma
From: Livin Stephen Sharma @ 2010-08-27 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

GNU Emacs 23.1.90.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.29)
 of 2010-05-14 on...
org-mode-2010_08_24: 7.01trans

Hi, I would appreciate some info/help on table-navigation.

The Manual describes these keys like this:
> M-a	Move to beginning of the current table field, or on to the previous field.

> M-e	Move to end of the current table field, or on to the next field.

Are they supposed to work the same within mult-line cells?

If cursor is before 'amet' in entry E-01,
 is there a single command to move it:
 a. to the end of "consectetur", or
 b. to the beginning of "Lorem" in the same cell.

           |---+-------+----------------------+----------------------|
           | / | <>    | <>                   | <>                   |
           |   | <5>   | <20>                 | <20>                 |
           |   | s.no. | type;                | text                 |
           |---+-------+----------------------+----------------------|
           |   | E-01  | original             | Lorem ipsum dolor    |
           |   |       |                      | sit amet,            |
           |   |       |                      | consectetur          |
           |---+-------+----------------------+----------------------|
           |   | E-02  | caps                 | Lorem Ipsum Dolor    |
           |   |       |                      | Sit Amet,            |
           |   |       |                      | Consectetur          |
           |---+-------+----------------------+----------------------|

I find that the first 'M-a' will move the cursor to just before 'sit',
 and a second 'M-a' will move it into the 'type;' column.

Regards
Livin Stephen Sharma

* Re: org-table: Table Navigation esp. for multi-line cells?
@ 2010-08-27 12:41 ` Juan Pechiar
From: Juan Pechiar @ 2010-08-27 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Livin Stephen Sharma; +Cc: Orgmode

Hi Livin,

As far as I know, orgmode does not support multi-line cells.

The example table you provided contains 7 rows (+ formatting at top)
plus 2 h-lines ("horizontal separator").

h-lines separate table sections (e.g. headings from contents).

In this context, the behaviour you are reporting with M-a and M-e is
correct.

Regards,
.j.

@ 2010-08-27 14:15   ` Livin Stephen Sharma
From: Livin Stephen Sharma @ 2010-08-27 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Pechiar; +Cc: Orgmode

Juan, thank you for your response.

 In my particular context, I am using org-tables more for tracking/storing data 'visually' in columns - rather than as a true spreadsheet with formulae, etc.

 Essentially, I resorted to multi-lines cells since
 I would like to have each field be immediately readable in it's entirety
 (some columns run several english sentences long, really)

I can experiment with 'regular' single-line cells in this context and see if it feels convenient after some use: I will probably either use
 + <C-u C-c `> to make the text visible, OR
 + read it off the tooltip 'hovering' over the cell
(both with column-width specifications)

Regards
Livin Stephen Sharma
PS: I *may* be able to get what i need without any tables at all.. using column-view and related features. Thanks.