* Does this happen to you? Aquamacs messes with you! (but I still like my Mac)
@ 2008-11-07 10:04 Ben Alexander
From: Ben Alexander @ 2008-11-07 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

I normally use Aquamacs.  It's very pretty, and uses the mouse without
having to start an X server.  But I'm starting to get a bit cheesed
about all the things that don't work with org-mode (I have FINALLY got
a fixed width font for the tab bar, so my column mode headings line up
with the text in the buffer!!!)

New problem: I have a very simple org mode buffer

* TODO Mealplans
** Mealplan Fri

If I go into column view and my cursor is the beginning of the file
and I hit the down arrow, my cursor moves to the beginning of the next
column (From the default column of ITEM to TODO).  This happens
everywhere, somewhat randomly.

I switched to the command line version of emacs, and this didn't happen.

My first thought was to check keyboard bindings.  In emacs C-n and
<down> map to next-line, but in Aquamacs they map to visual-line-
down.  If I toggle visual-line-mode, the problem goes away (under
quick testing)

My question for the list.

1) Does anyone use visual-line-mode with org?  Use it and like, I mean.

2) How did this happen to me?  Is this an Aquamacs default that I can
customize back to 'normal'?  I can't find visual-line-mode documented
in the info pages for Emacs.

3) On my mode line, I have a (Org vl Fill).  the 'vl' does not go away
when I toggle visual-line-mode.  What is that? Another irritant lurking?

-------

Ok, I let this email sit awhile (never click send when angry!)

If anyone else is living with this, I have an answer for 2) and 3)

2) Answer: Aquamacs has a customization group 'Aquamacs Is More Than
Emacs'.  This will be my first stop for the next irritation .

3) Answer: That customization group has an option for 'global-visual-
line-mode'.  Toggle that and the 'vl' goes away.

Just in case anyone is wondering (because of all my complaining), I
should advertise that Mac OS is a great machine for emacs users.  For
example, I'm still using Apple's Mail program and many emacs key
strokes work auto-magically.  C-n and C-p work visually, and C-f and C-
b work normally, and  C-a and C-e work on logical lines.  Even C-k and
C-y just work inside of most of the UI textboxes.  Strangely, killing
a line means you can yank it, even into another window, but it's a
different clipboard than cmd-C and cmd-V.  Even C-t works. Alas, C-u C-
f does NOT work.

None of this seems documented, so I don't know what other easter eggs
are lurking, but I don't get frustrated moving from my org-mode buffer
into an Apple Mail window just because of the typing.  Aquamacs does
let transient mark mode with with the shift-mouse-click, and cmd-C
lets me pull text out of Aquamacs and into Mail.

I'd bet that many of you on a mac already know this because of how
hard it is to NOT type a C-p when you want to go up!

Anyway, thanks for listening to the rant, and I hope it helps someone
out there.

-Ben Alexander

* Re: Does this happen to you? Aquamacs messes with you! (but I still like my Mac)
@ 2008-11-07 15:33 ` Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2008-11-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ben Alexander <ben@alexanderonline.org> writes:
> I normally use Aquamacs.  It's very pretty, and uses the mouse without
> having to start an X server.

[snip]

Ben, Aquamacs isn't the only option for Emacs on Mac OS X, it's actually
the worst option for Emacs on Mac OS X, IMHO.

Either build a Carbon Emacs 22.3 from macports, or download one of the
Emacs 23 pre-release builds from http://porkrind.org/emacs/.

Personally, I use Emacs built from macports:

  $ sudo port install emacs +atsui +carbon

Aquamacs is a highly altered version of Carbon Emacs, meant to act more
like a Mac application.  My problem with it is that it does so at the
cost of normal Emacs functionality.

But don't take my word for it, hop on #emacs and ask there ;)

--
Peter Jones, http://pmade.com
pmade inc.  Louisville, CO US

* Re: Does this happen to you? Aquamacs messes with you! (but I still like my Mac)
@ 2009-03-16 10:09 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2009-03-16 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ben Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> (I have FINALLY got a fixed width font for the tab bar, so my
> column mode headings line up with the text in the buffer!!!

How did you do this? I think I had them lined up in an earlier
Aquamacs version, but I see now they don't line up any longer. I don't
use column mode much, but if it's like this I'll never even start
using it... (I tried setting the fonts via Options->Appearance->Font
for org-mode, but I notice it doesn't change the headline font, see
http://bayimg.com/gaOHeAAbF for when I chose a huge font.)

best regards,
Kevin

* Re: Does this happen to you? Aquamacs messes with you! (but I still like my Mac)
@ 2009-03-26 20:15 ` Ben Alexander
From: Ben Alexander @ 2009-03-26 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Kevin,

I'm sorry I didn't see this until just now, and it doesn't appear that
anyone else has answered you.  (I've moved to Romania, so I've been
busy.  No, really! Craiova!)

The short answer is "I don't remember".

But upon looking at my customization file in Aquamacs, I find the
following line in my custom-set-faces code block:
  '(org-column-title ((((class color) (min-colors 16) (background
light)) (:inherit fixed-pitch :background "grey90" :underline
t :weight bold))))
which makes me think it that you need to customize the org-column-
title face (Options -> Customize Emacs -> Specific Face -> then type
with completion org-column-title).

I think I left everything alone, but added an entry to the 'Inherit'
list.  I have the word 'fixed-pitch' without the quotes as my sole
entry.

I hope that helps you out,

Ben Alexander