* Help with agenda-custom commands
@ 2008-09-24 23:16 Paul Holcomb
From: Paul Holcomb @ 2008-09-24 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

 I'm pretty new to elisp and I'm having difficulty figuring out how
 to implement two things in org-agenda-custom-commands:

 *) Is there a simple way to construct an agenda view that:
  -shows all past scheduled events for one TODO keyword only
  -skips for all others

 The only way I could figure out it could work is to write a large
 org-agenda-skip function that explicitly looks at subtrees and
 duplicates the org-scheduled-past-days check code.

 Unless I'm mistaken a block view won't work because the value of
 org-scheduled-past-days is local to the agenda command and not each
 block inside of it.

 *) Using a defconst symbol or function that evaluates to a stringp
 in place of an actual string in for the match field.

 ex:
      ("A" ""  tags-todo 'org-pah-todo-exclude nil nil)

           (type-of org-pah-todo-exclude)
	        ==> stringp

  I also tried using concat and format for that argument.  The error
  is always:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp (quote org-pah-todo-exclude))
    string-match("/+" (quote org-pah-todo-exclude))
    org-make-tags-matcher((quote org-pah-todo-exclude))
    org-tags-view((4) (quote org-pah-todo-exclude))

  It seems like the evaluation order is at fault, but I couldn't get further.

 Any suggestions?

Paul Holcomb                               *pholcomb    \@      cpoint  net*
GPG key fingerprint          2B62 05AE EE74 845A 705F  D716 28C4 FE1C 088F CFAC

* Re: Help with agenda-custom commands
@ 2008-09-28  5:16 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-28  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pholcomb; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul,

On Sep 25, 2008, at 1:16 AM, Paul Holcomb wrote:

> I'm pretty new to elisp and I'm having difficulty figuring out how
> to implement two things in org-agenda-custom-commands:
>
> *) Is there a simple way to construct an agenda view that:
>  -shows all past scheduled events for one TODO keyword only
>  -skips for all others
>
> The only way I could figure out it could work is to write a large
> org-agenda-skip function that explicitly looks at subtrees and
> duplicates the org-scheduled-past-days check code.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken a block view won't work because the value of
> org-scheduled-past-days is local to the agenda command and not each
> block inside of it.

I have not tested this, but you might be able to use the general tags/
property/todo matcher
on `C-c a m' like this:

SCHEDULED<"<today>"/!+MYTODOKEYWORD

> *) Using a defconst symbol or function that evaluates to a stringp
> in place of an actual string in for the match field.
>
> ex:
>      ("A" ""  tags-todo 'org-pah-todo-exclude nil nil)
>

>           (type-of org-pah-todo-exclude)
> 	        ==> stringp
>
>  I also tried using concat and format for that argument.  The error
>  is always:
>
>  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp (quote
> org-pah-todo-exclude))
>    string-match("/+" (quote org-pah-todo-exclude))
>    org-make-tags-matcher((quote org-pah-todo-exclude))
>    org-tags-view((4) (quote org-pah-todo-exclude))
>
>  It seems like the evaluation order is at fault, but I couldn't get
> further.

indeed, currently the match entry is not evaluated.  I guess we could
do that, but it would involve changing several functions.  I would
need a convincing use case before I invest the time.  How would you
want to use this?

- Carsten

* Re: Help with agenda-custom commands
@ 2008-09-30 16:40   ` Paul Holcomb
From: Paul Holcomb @ 2008-09-30 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, pholcomb

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 07:16:41AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> >*) Is there a simple way to construct an agenda view that:
> > -shows all past scheduled events for one TODO keyword only
> > -skips for all others

> I have not tested this, but you might be able to use the general tags/
> property/todo matcher
> on `C-c a m' like this:
>
> SCHEDULED<"<today>"/!+MYTODOKEYWORD

 This works, but not for a day or week view.

 On the positive side, while I was trying to figure out how to do
 this, I've started to rethink how I'm using the different date
 keywords.

 I was originally trying to overload the meaning of SCHEDULED.  Making
 a TODO item that starts in the future and then will continue showing
 up until done (as in the manual) for "WAITING" items, but also as a
 TODO item that starts in the future, but then should become a normal
 TODO item for everything not a "WAITING" item.

 I think a better approach to the second one is going to be using a
 property like ACTIVEON, like so:

  :PROPERTIES:
  :ACTIVEON:       <2008-10-01 Wed>
  :END:

 I'm still at the idea stage here, but think it could work with a hook
 similar to org-expiry.el or org-depend.el

> >*) Using a defconst symbol or function that evaluates to a stringp
> >in place of an actual string in for the match field.
> >
> > It seems like the evaluation order is at fault, but I couldn't get
> >further.
>
> indeed, currently the match entry is not evaluated.  I guess we could
> do that, but it would involve changing several functions.  I would
> need a convincing use case before I invest the time.  How would you
> want to use this?

 Totally not important.  I was just trying to clean up some of my
 agenda functions and feared I was missing something basic.

--

@ 2008-10-01  9:01     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-01  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pholcomb; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 30, 2008, at 6:40 PM, Paul Holcomb wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 07:16:41AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>>> *) Is there a simple way to construct an agenda view that:
>>> -shows all past scheduled events for one TODO keyword only
>>> -skips for all others
>
>> I have not tested this, but you might be able to use the general
>> tags/
>> property/todo matcher
>> on `C-c a m' like this:
>>
>> SCHEDULED<"<today>"/!+MYTODOKEYWORD
>
> This works, but not for a day or week view.

Yes, correct, you cannot do this for the agenda.....

> On the positive side, while I was trying to figure out how to do
> this, I've started to rethink how I'm using the different date
> keywords.
>
> I was originally trying to overload the meaning of SCHEDULED.  Making
> a TODO item that starts in the future and then will continue showing
> up until done (as in the manual) for "WAITING" items, but also as a
> TODO item that starts in the future, but then should become a normal
> TODO item for everything not a "WAITING" item.
>
> I think a better approach to the second one is going to be using a
> property like ACTIVEON, like so:
>
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :ACTIVEON:       <2008-10-01 Wed>
>  :END:
>
> I'm still at the idea stage here, but think it could work with a hook
> similar to org-expiry.el or org-depend.el

Well, keep thinking and keep us posted.

>>> *) Using a defconst symbol or function that evaluates to a stringp
>>> in place of an actual string in for the match field.
>>>
>>> It seems like the evaluation order is at fault, but I couldn't get
>>> further.
>>
>> indeed, currently the match entry is not evaluated.  I guess we could
>> do that, but it would involve changing several functions.  I would
>> need a convincing use case before I invest the time.  How would you
>> want to use this?
>
> Totally not important.  I was just trying to clean up some of my
> agenda functions and feared I was missing something basic.

OK.

- Carsten

* Re: Help with agenda-custom commands
       [not found] <E1KkzuK-0007T4-Uc@box188.bluehost.com>
@ 2008-10-01 13:19 ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-10-01 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:40:46 -0500
> From: Paul Holcomb <pholcomb@cpoint.net>
> Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Help with agenda-custom commands
> To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl>
> Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, pholcomb@cpoint.net
>
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 07:16:41AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>>> *) Is there a simple way to construct an agenda view that:
>>> -shows all past scheduled events for one TODO keyword only
>>> -skips for all others
>
>> I have not tested this, but you might be able to use the general tags/
>> property/todo matcher
>> on `C-c a m' like this:
>>
>> SCHEDULED<"<today>"/!+MYTODOKEYWORD
>
>  This works, but not for a day or week view.
>
>  On the positive side, while I was trying to figure out how to do
>  this, I've started to rethink how I'm using the different date
>  keywords.
>
>  I was originally trying to overload the meaning of SCHEDULED.  Making
>  a TODO item that starts in the future and then will continue showing
>  up until done (as in the manual) for "WAITING" items, but also as a
>  TODO item that starts in the future, but then should become a normal
>  TODO item for everything not a "WAITING" item.
>
>  I think a better approach to the second one is going to be using a
>  property like ACTIVEON, like so:
>
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :ACTIVEON:       <2008-10-01 Wed>
>   :END:
>
>  I'm still at the idea stage here, but think it could work with a hook
>  similar to org-expiry.el or org-depend.el

I'm not entirely sure I follow this --- are you looking for something
that will be like a release time in scheduling?  I.e., the task would
effectively be invisible (at least on agenda view) until its ACTIVEON
date, and then act like a normal task from then on?