* Birthdays
@ 2007-08-05  7:24 Renzo Been
From: Renzo Been @ 2007-08-05  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

If I set dates for Birthdays in my .org file like the following:

**** Birthdays
***** TODO Jack 1979
SCHEDULED: <%%(diary-anniversary 5 3 1979)>

I will get the following error message when I use C-c a to open an
Agenda view...

Bad sexp at line 24 in /Users/Swangdoodles/Agenda.org:
(diary-anniversary 5 3 1979)

The Agenda still opens and works fine, but if I've got a whole list of
Birthdays, then it takes a while before it loads... because it
displays an error-message for every Birthday in the org-file...

And if I write it like this:

**** Birthdays
***** TODO Jack 1979
SCHEDULED: <%%(diary-anniversary 5 3 1979 Jack)>

Then the agenda view does not open, but it keeps looping all the
errors over and over again...

Should I Schedule Birthdays in a different way than I have done (see
the two above examples)??

Thanx,
Renzo

* Re: Birthdays
@ 2007-08-06  4:48 ` Renzo Been
From: Renzo Been @ 2007-08-06  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry for my previous e-mail, I found the answer brozsing through the org-info
documentation:

Note that the sexp entries must start at the left margin, no white space is
allowed before them.  For example, the following segment of an Org-mode file
will be processed and entries will be made in the agenda:

* Birthdays and similar stuff
#+CATEGORY: Holiday
%%(org-calendar-holiday)   ; special function for holiday names
#+CATEGORY: Ann
%%(diary-anniversary 14  5 1956) Arthur Dent is %d years old
%%(diary-anniversary  2 10 1869) Mahatma Gandhi would be %d years old

Ciao,
Renzo

* Re: Birthdays
@ 2007-08-09  5:05 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-09  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renzo Been; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 5, 2007, at 9:24, Renzo Been wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I set dates for Birthdays in my .org file like the following:
>

> **** Birthdays
> ***** TODO Jack 1979
> SCHEDULED: <%%(diary-anniversary 5 3 1979)>

This should work, and it does for me.  There is an error that
I do not require diary-lib before using an sexp entry,
maybe that it the reason, will be added in the next version.

> And if I write it like this:
>

> **** Birthdays
> ***** TODO Jack 1979
> SCHEDULED: <%%(diary-anniversary 5 3 1979 Jack)>

This cannot work, diary-anniversary only accepts 3 arguments.
You can use

%%(diary-anniversary 5 3 1979) Jack %d years

as you have figures out yourself in your other message.

- Carsten