* SO question on dynamic arguments
@ 2012-02-09 19:01 Ken Williams
From: Ken Williams @ 2012-02-09 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I asked this question on Stack Overflow today, I wonder if someone might know the answer here:

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9215216/computing-argument-values-dynamically

It's about computing arguments to a "#+begin_src R" block based on previous R results.

Thanks.

--
Ken Williams, Senior Research Scientist
WindLogics

________________________________
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of any kind is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender via reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

* Re: SO question on dynamic arguments
@ 2012-02-14 22:53 ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2012-02-14 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ken Williams <Ken.Williams@windlogics.com> writes:

> I asked this question on Stack Overflow today, I wonder if someone
> might know the answer here:
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9215216/computing-argument-values-dynamically
>

> It’s about computing arguments to a “#+begin_src R” block based on
> previous R results.
>

> Thanks.
>

> --
>
> Ken Williams, Senior Research Scientist
>
> WindLogics
>
> http://windlogics.com

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the
> information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
> of any kind is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please contact the sender via reply e-mail and destroy all
> copies of the original message. Thank you.

Hi Ken,

I think you can not extract variables from underlying processes (like R)
in org.

What you can do in your example, however, is
(1) name the first source block
(2) call it with sbe
(3) do the calculation in emacs-lisp
which would look something like this:

,----[ example ]
| #+name: setheight
| #+begin_src R
| x <- 5
| #+end_src
|
| #+begin_src R :results graphics :file foo.svg :height (* 3 (string-to-int (sbe setheight)))
| plot(1:10)
| #+end_src
`----

Cheers,