* latex and org-mode
@ 2008-10-20  0:39 Daniel M German
From: Daniel M German @ 2008-10-20  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi everybody,

I am also a long time user of Latex (16 years). I use it mainly to
author scientific papers.

i followed the discussion about trying to export org files to latex
files. I am also currently drafting in org (using latex macros in my
draft, but no latex structure) and then move to latex. Once I move to
latex I still keep the org file for TODOs and notes. I think trying to
get org todo full latex authoring is not an easy battle (for example,
trying to make a figure with 2 minipage environments in it, each with
a table). Debugging latex in org is a nightmare because there is are
no pragma __LINE__ instructions in latex (as far as I know).

I was wondering the other day if it would be possible to improve org
into using % as the first character in its lines. For instance, in an
org file we currently write:

** TODO Call my mother
   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-19 Sun>

How about allowing org to prefix the lines as follows:

%** TODO Call my mother
%   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-19 Sun>

All org commands will take into account a prefix and add one if
necessary (for example when the task is scheduled). Org can then be
used as a minor mode (in conjunction with auctex for example)

This would be even useful for programming in languages that allow
comment prefixing: i.e # , or if any prefix is allowed, any //

--daniel

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

* Re: latex and org-mode
@ 2008-10-20  5:49 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-20  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Daniel,

On Oct 20, 2008, at 2:39 AM, Daniel M German wrote:

> hi everybody,
>
> I am also a long time user of Latex (16 years). I use it mainly to
> author scientific papers.
>
> i followed the discussion about trying to export org files to latex
> files. I am also currently drafting in org (using latex macros in my
> draft, but no latex structure) and then move to latex. Once I move to
> latex I still keep the org file for TODOs and notes. I think trying to
> get org todo full latex authoring is not an easy battle (for example,
> trying to make a figure with 2 minipage environments in it, each with
> a table). Debugging latex in org is a nightmare because there is are
> no pragma __LINE__ instructions in latex (as far as I know).
>
> I was wondering the other day if it would be possible to improve org
> into using % as the first character in its lines. For instance, in an
> org file we currently write:
>
> ** TODO Call my mother
>   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-19 Sun>
>
> How about allowing org to prefix the lines as follows:
>
> %** TODO Call my mother
> %   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-19 Sun>
>
> All org commands will take into account a prefix and add one if
> necessary (for example when the task is scheduled). Org can then be
> used as a minor mode (in conjunction with auctex for example)
>
> This would be even useful for programming in languages that allow
> comment prefixing: i.e # , or if any prefix is allowed, any //

This is way too complex and too hard to implement, so it will not
happen.

- Carsten