emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* [bug] Display issue with broken links
@ 2020-06-05 10:01 Karl Voit
  2020-06-05 12:01 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Karl Voit @ 2020-06-05 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I've found an issue that leads to broken Org mode syntax without
noticing. Considering the following example:

: foo [[https://Karl-Voit.at][bar]] baz

When I put my cursor right after "foo" and press the DEL key, my Org
mode shows this:

: foo bar baz

... as if the link was removed properly, keeping only the
description text.

However, in reality, the remaining thing is different:

: foo [https://Karl-Voit.at][bar]] baz

This snippet is displayed properly at least after reloading the file
or switching to text-mode and back to org-mode.

I've made a screencast to demo this:
https://karl-voit.at/temp/2020-06-05T11.28.16_Org_mode_display_issue_with_broken_link_--_emacs_screencasts.gif

This happens with Emacs 26.1 as well as 26.3 with Org mode from
maint git (9.3.6).


Fun fact: I initially thought, this is a hidden feature which I
started to use happily ;-)
Considering
https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/gwa2i4/i_want_to_remove_the_link_and_preserve_the_text/
I would love to see something like
org-remove-link-and-keep-description-text built-in.

-- 
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
       > get Memacs from https://github.com/novoid/Memacs <
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: [bug] Display issue with broken links
  2020-06-05 10:01 [bug] Display issue with broken links Karl Voit
@ 2020-06-05 12:01 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2020-06-05 13:03   ` Karl Voit
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-06-05 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> I've found an issue that leads to broken Org mode syntax without
> noticing. Considering the following example:
>
> : foo [[https://Karl-Voit.at][bar]] baz
>
> When I put my cursor right after "foo" and press the DEL key, my Org
> mode shows this:
>
> : foo bar baz
>
> ... as if the link was removed properly, keeping only the
> description text.
>
> However, in reality, the remaining thing is different:
>
> : foo [https://Karl-Voit.at][bar]] baz
>
> This snippet is displayed properly at least after reloading the file
> or switching to text-mode and back to org-mode.

FWIW I cannot reproduce it.

> I've made a screencast to demo this:
> https://karl-voit.at/temp/2020-06-05T11.28.16_Org_mode_display_issue_with_broken_link_--_emacs_screencasts.gif

Proofs including an animated Nyan Cat are not considered valid, sorry.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: [bug] Display issue with broken links
  2020-06-05 12:01 ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2020-06-05 13:03   ` Karl Voit
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Karl Voit @ 2020-06-05 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Nicolas,

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> I've found an issue that leads to broken Org mode syntax without
>> noticing. Considering the following example:
>>
>> : foo [[https://Karl-Voit.at][bar]] baz
>>
>> When I put my cursor right after "foo" and press the DEL key, my Org
>> mode shows this:
>>
>> : foo bar baz
>>
>> ... as if the link was removed properly, keeping only the
>> description text.
>>
>> However, in reality, the remaining thing is different:
>>
>> : foo [https://Karl-Voit.at][bar]] baz
>>
>> This snippet is displayed properly at least after reloading the file
>> or switching to text-mode and back to org-mode.
>
> FWIW I cannot reproduce it.

Oh. Good to know.

>> I've made a screencast to demo this:
>> https://karl-voit.at/temp/2020-06-05T11.28.16_Org_mode_display_issue_with_broken_link_--_emacs_screencasts.gif
>
> Proofs including an animated Nyan Cat are not considered valid, sorry.

Don't discriminate my horizontal scroll bar cat! :-)

-- 
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
       > get Memacs from https://github.com/novoid/Memacs <
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-06-05 13:04 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-06-05 10:01 [bug] Display issue with broken links Karl Voit
2020-06-05 12:01 ` Nicolas Goaziou
2020-06-05 13:03   ` Karl Voit

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).