* org-mode habit consistency graph not displaying
@ 2016-07-08  2:57 Brenda J. Butler
From: Brenda J. Butler @ 2016-07-08  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I have a question up at stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38031463/org-mode-habit-consistency-graph-not-displaying

Here is the content of the question and update:

org-version 8.3.4 (elpa package, 20160530)
emacs 24.4.1 (Debian package, Installed: 24.4+1-4.1~bpo70+1)

When I started using org-mode from elpa, the habit consistency graph
stopped showing. I was using a version of org-mode that comes with
debian before, with emacs 23 and the graph showed.

I'm a beginner in emacs lisp, but anyway I tried stepping through the
org-agenda-list function and found the org-agenda-finalize function
where the org habit graph is supposed to be inserted via the
org-habit-insert-consistency-graphs function. But it skips over that
function, probably because this expression returns false:

    (next-single-property-change (point-min) 'org-habit-p))

At this point, I don't know what to do to make habits show. This is
the first time I've looked at org-mode code, I don't know what the
above test is for.

Help, please?

UPDATE: 2016-06-25. I upgraded the org-mode package to elpa, 20160620
(still org-version 8.3.4). Still have the same behaviour. I am getting
the package from elpa.gnu.org.

UPDATE 2: 2016-07-02: I did try pressing K (for
org-habit-toggle-habits). It didn't change the contents of the buffer
visibly. I also tried refreshing the buffer after typing K. And
repeating the experiment, in case the K put emacs in the wrong mode
the first time.

Thanks for whatever help you can send ...

bjb

* Re: org-mode habit consistency graph not displaying
@ 2016-07-08  3:29 ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2016-07-08  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bjb; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Brenda,

> When I started using org-mode from elpa, the habit consistency graph
> stopped showing. I was using a version of org-mode that comes with
> debian before, with emacs 23 and the graph showed.

When I upgraded to org 8.3, my org-habits did not display correctly,
because the PROPERTY drawer where the habit style was indicated came
after the LOGBOOK in my org files.

After using org-repair-property-drawers

  http://orgmode.org/Changes.html

my habits returned to their previous appearance.

Hope that helps,
Josiah

* Re: org-mode habit consistency graph not displaying
@ 2016-07-08  4:01   ` Brenda Butler
From: Brenda Butler @ 2016-07-08  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josiah Schwab; +Cc: Brenda J. Butler, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks for this answer.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me.  But when I have more time I will
investigate further.  This gives me a hint as to what
(next-single-property-change (point-min) 'org-habit-p)) does and the
environment it assumes.

bjb

@ 2016-07-12  0:10   ` Brenda J. Butler
From: Brenda J. Butler @ 2016-07-12  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 08:29:44PM -0700, Josiah Schwab wrote:
> Hello Brenda,
>
> > When I started using org-mode from elpa, the habit consistency graph
> > stopped showing. I was using a version of org-mode that comes with
> > debian before, with emacs 23 and the graph showed.
>
> When I upgraded to org 8.3, my org-habits did not display correctly,
> because the PROPERTY drawer where the habit style was indicated came
> after the LOGBOOK in my org files.
>
> After using org-repair-property-drawers
>
>   http://orgmode.org/Changes.html
>
> my habits returned to their previous appearance.

It was a combination of this, and also I had earlier changed my
"SCHEDULED:" lines to ":SCHEDULED:" in an effort to see the upcoming
quarterly habits in the schedule as the day approached.  Ie, on day
"DUE - some time", I wanted to visit DUE day in the agenda schedule
and see the habit/scheduled item.

So after fixing up my properties to match the new scheme, and editing
my :SCHEDULED: items back to SCHEDULED: then I saw the habit
consistency graphs again.  Now I can't see the upcoming quarterly
scheduled habits, but that's a different problem.

Thanks for helping me out.

bjb