* help debugging org-element crashes?
@ 2015-09-24 20:30 Peter Salazar
From: Peter Salazar @ 2015-09-24 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hey everyone,

I'm finding my Emacs crashing a lot; other times I get errors like these
which I assume are related to the crashes:
http://pastebin.com/Tncs79r0
http://pastebin.com/jfdEYwVk

I mean total Emacs crashes, where I have to force quit Emacs itself. It's
happened in various org-mode situations including:
- pasting text from OSX clipboard
- promoting/demoting org-headings
- moving subtree up or down (i.e. using org-metadown org org-metaup)

My details:

Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, Carbon Version 157 AppKit
1348.17)
Org-mode version 8.3.1 (8.3.1-129-ga7c8d2-elpaplus @
org-plus-contrib-20150921/)

I've tried reinstalling org-plus-contrib... I have also enabled
org-element-debug.

Any suggestions on how I can track this down and fix it?

Thanks!

* Re: help debugging org-element crashes?
@ 2015-09-25  7:12 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-09-25  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Salazar; +Cc: org-mode

Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm finding my Emacs crashing a lot; other times I get errors like these
> which I assume are related to the crashes:
> http://pastebin.com/Tncs79r0
> http://pastebin.com/jfdEYwVk
>
> I mean total Emacs crashes, where I have to force quit Emacs itself. It's
> happened in various org-mode situations including:
> - pasting text from OSX clipboard
> - promoting/demoting org-headings
> - moving subtree up or down (i.e. using org-metadown org org-metaup)

I also experience frequent crashes at the moment and they happen in
similar situations.

I am in contact with an emacs dev to give him all the info needed to
sort out what is happening.

I would suggest that you file a bug report including backtrace of emacs
after the crash so that this can be followed up as a new bug or added as
additional data points to my bug report.

You could try to use HEAD - but I had the same crashes there.

You can see my bug report and tips on how to figure out what is
happening at https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21428

Cheers,

Rainer

> My details:
>
> Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
> GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, Carbon Version 157 AppKit
> 1348.17)
> Org-mode version 8.3.1 (8.3.1-129-ga7c8d2-elpaplus @
> org-plus-contrib-20150921/)
>
> I've tried reinstalling org-plus-contrib... I have also enabled
> org-element-debug.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can track this down and fix it?
>
> Thanks!

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: help debugging org-element crashes?
@ 2015-09-25  8:56 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-09-25  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 04:30:13PM -0400, Peter Salazar wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm finding my Emacs crashing a lot; other times I get errors like these
> which I assume are related to the crashes:
> http://pastebin.com/Tncs79r0
> http://pastebin.com/jfdEYwVk
>
> I mean total Emacs crashes, where I have to force quit Emacs itself. It's
> happened in various org-mode situations including:
> - pasting text from OSX clipboard
> - promoting/demoting org-headings
> - moving subtree up or down (i.e. using org-metadown org org-metaup)

 [...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> Any suggestions on how I can track this down and fix it?

You could use this minor mode to track down the cache issue:

https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d/blob/master/lisp/org-element-debug.el

Once you know what triggers the crash, you can probably come-up with a
minimal example and post it here.

@Nicolas, others, do you think this should be on an FAQ on worg?

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: help debugging org-element crashes?
@ 2015-09-25 11:34   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-25 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> @Nicolas, others, do you think this should be on an FAQ on worg?

Not yet, please. I plan to change the internals of the cache at some
point, when I get sufficient spare time.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: help debugging org-element crashes?
@ 2015-09-25 14:40     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-09-25 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 01:34:50PM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > @Nicolas, others, do you think this should be on an FAQ on worg?
>
> Not yet, please. I plan to change the internals of the cache at some
> point, when I get sufficient spare time.

Sure!

--
Suvayu