* Agenda Tag filtering - has the behaviour changed?
@ 2015-09-16 13:17 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2015-09-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am a long-time user of org-mode and am currently using the maintenance
release 8.3.1

I noticed that in the agenda the '//' key to filter by tag now adds tags
when used multiple times.  This breaks my normal workflow for quickly
filtering by a specific tag.

In the past I would do:

/ P to filter items for PRODUCTION then
/ D to filter items by DEV

But now the behaviour is

/ P to filter items by PRODUCTION
/ D adds DEV to filtering by PRODUCTION+DEV which returns no items.

Now I have to do // to clear the tag list between filters.

Is this intended behaviour and did I miss the NEWS update on this?

Thanks,
Bernt

* Re: Agenda Tag filtering - has the behaviour changed?
@ 2015-09-17  6:34 ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2015-09-17  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a long-time user of org-mode and am currently using the
> maintenance release 8.3.1
>
> I noticed that in the agenda the '//' key to filter by tag now adds
> tags when used multiple times.  This breaks my normal workflow for
> quickly filtering by a specific tag.
>
> In the past I would do:
>
> / P to filter items for PRODUCTION then
> / D to filter items by DEV
>
> But now the behaviour is
>
> / P to filter items by PRODUCTION
> / D adds DEV to filtering by PRODUCTION+DEV which returns no items.
>
> Now I have to do // to clear the tag list between filters.
>
> Is this intended behaviour and did I miss the NEWS update on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Bernt

Looking through the commit messages this may come from commit
6c6ae990c10dbe7f96b24fccf840fe9f6d81a3b8

Sorry, I don't use the agenda, so I can't help you more at the moment.

Best regards
Robert

* Re: Agenda Tag filtering - has the behaviour changed?
@ 2015-09-17  7:11   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-17  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Klein; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Robert Klein <roklein@roklein.de> writes:

> Looking through the commit messages this may come from commit
> 6c6ae990c10dbe7f96b24fccf840fe9f6d81a3b8

Indeed. It seems related to this NEWS entry

  *** Minor refactoring of ~org-agenda-filter-by-tag~
  Now uses the argument arg and optional argument exclude instead of
  strip and narrow.  ARG because the argument has multiple purposes and
  makes more sense than strip now.  The term narrowing is changed to
  exclude.

  The main purpose is for the function to make more logical sense when
  filtering on tags now when tags can be structured in hierarchies.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Agenda Tag filtering - has the behaviour changed?
@ 2015-09-17 16:16     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2015-09-17 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Robert Klein

> Hello,
>
> Robert Klein <roklein@roklein.de> writes:
>
>> Looking through the commit messages this may come from commit
>> 6c6ae990c10dbe7f96b24fccf840fe9f6d81a3b8
>
> Indeed. It seems related to this NEWS entry
>
>   *** Minor refactoring of ~org-agenda-filter-by-tag~
>   Now uses the argument arg and optional argument exclude instead of
>   strip and narrow.  ARG because the argument has multiple purposes and
>   makes more sense than strip now.  The term narrowing is changed to
>   exclude.
>
>   The main purpose is for the function to make more logical sense when
>   filtering on tags now when tags can be structured in hierarchies.

Thanks both.

So was this an intended usability change?  I can probably live with it -
I just need to retrain my fingers -- but it does take longer to achieve
the result I want now since I have to clear the agenda tags before
selecting a new filter and wait for the agenda update each time (my
agenda has lots of entries).

The old behaviour was faster to use.

I haven't done anything with hierarchical tags yet.

Regards,

@ 2015-09-22  9:00       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-09-22  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:16:44PM -0400, Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Robert Klein <roklein@roklein.de> writes:
> >
> >> Looking through the commit messages this may come from commit
> >> 6c6ae990c10dbe7f96b24fccf840fe9f6d81a3b8
> >
> > Indeed. It seems related to this NEWS entry
> >
> >   *** Minor refactoring of ~org-agenda-filter-by-tag~
> >   Now uses the argument arg and optional argument exclude instead of
> >   strip and narrow.  ARG because the argument has multiple purposes and
> >   makes more sense than strip now.  The term narrowing is changed to
> >   exclude.
> >
> >   The main purpose is for the function to make more logical sense when
> >   filtering on tags now when tags can be structured in hierarchies.
>
> Thanks both.
>
> So was this an intended usability change?  I can probably live with it -
> I just need to retrain my fingers -- but it does take longer to achieve
> the result I want now since I have to clear the agenda tags before
> selecting a new filter and wait for the agenda update each time (my
> agenda has lots of entries).
>
> The old behaviour was faster to use.
>
> I haven't done anything with hierarchical tags yet.

FWIW, I think hierarchical tags should be opt-in.  The current behaviour
is a very nice feature, but probably a less common use case than the old
behaviour.  Maybe there can be a toggle?

I tried looking at the source, but it looked non-trivial.

--
Suvayu