* Special blocks with options in LaTeX export
@ 2015-06-28 11:23 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-06-28 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode

Hi,

I am trying to export special blocks with options.  But it seems the
options part is being ignored completely.  I expect the following:

  #+begin_aside :options {Combinatorial background}
  It is all random!
  #+end_aside

to be exported as:

  \begin{aside}{Combinatorial background}
  It is all random!
  \end{aside}

However what I get is without the extra argument to the environment.

Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

Suvayu

* Re: Special blocks with options in LaTeX export
@ 2015-06-28 11:30 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-06-28 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to export special blocks with options.  But it seems the
> options part is being ignored completely.  I expect the following:
>
>   #+begin_aside :options {Combinatorial background}
>   It is all random!
>   #+end_aside
>
> to be exported as:
>
>   \begin{aside}{Combinatorial background}
>   It is all random!
>   \end{aside}
>
> However what I get is without the extra argument to the environment.
>
> Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

#+attr_latex: :options test
#+begin_aside
random
#+end_aside

Options are read via

        (org-export-read-attribute :attr_latex special-block :options).

As to whether special blocks should support options via a keyword like in
your example, I do not know.  FWIW ox-html also reads attributes for
special blocks via an ATTR_BACKEND line.

Rasmus

--
There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know

* Re: Special blocks with options in LaTeX export
@ 2015-06-28 11:41   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-06-28 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rasmus,

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 01:30:33PM +0200, Rasmus wrote:

> Options are read via
>
>         (org-export-read-attribute :attr_latex special-block :options).
>
> As to whether special blocks should support options via a keyword like in
> your example, I do not know.  FWIW ox-html also reads attributes for
> special blocks via an ATTR_BACKEND line.

I expected it to work because the manual says so, see "Special blocks in
LaTeX export" in (info "(org) LaTeX specific attributes").

A brief quote:

  In LaTeX back-end, special blocks become environments of the same name.
  Value of ‘:options’ attribute will be appended as-is to that
  environment’s opening string.  For example: [...]

Cheers,

--

@ 2015-07-30  8:50   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-07-30  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Rasmus <rasmus-0UDz38MK/Mo@public.gmane.org> writes:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> I am trying to export special blocks with options.  But it seems the
>> options part is being ignored completely.  I expect the following:
>>
>>   #+begin_aside :options {Combinatorial background}
>>   It is all random!
>>   #+end_aside
>>
>> to be exported as:
>>
>>   \begin{aside}{Combinatorial background}
>>   It is all random!
>>   \end{aside}
>>
>> However what I get is without the extra argument to the environment.
>>
>> Am I missing something, or is this a bug?
>
> #+attr_latex: :options test
>
> #+begin_aside
> random
> #+end_aside

I think Suvayu uncovers something interesting: how do we give a "title"
to such an admonition (note, warning, tip, sidebar, etc.)?

If we want to export our document to multiple backends, we would be
forced to have:

  #+attr_html: :options {By the way...}
  #+attr_latex: :options {By the way...}
  #+attr_odt: :options {By the way...}
  #+begin_note
  This is a useful note (with a title).
  #+end_note

Wouldn't it make more sense to get the title as part of the admonition,
as Suvayu tried it in his OP?

  #+begin_note :options {By the way...}
  This is a useful note (with a title).
  #+end_note

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Special blocks with options in LaTeX export
@ 2015-07-30 10:09     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-07-30 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
writes:

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I am trying to export special blocks with options.  But it seems the
>
>>> options part is being ignored completely.  I expect the following:
>>>
>>>   #+begin_aside :options {Combinatorial background}
>>>   It is all random!
>>>   #+end_aside
>>>
>>> to be exported as:
>>>
>>>   \begin{aside}{Combinatorial background}
>>>   It is all random!
>>>   \end{aside}
>>>
>>> However what I get is without the extra argument to the environment.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something, or is this a bug?
>>
>> #+attr_latex: :options test
>>
>> #+begin_aside
>> random
>> #+end_aside
>
> I think Suvayu uncovers something interesting: how do we give a "title"
> to such an admonition (note, warning, tip, sidebar, etc.)?
>
> If we want to export our document to multiple backends, we would be
> forced to have:
>
>   #+attr_html: :options {By the way...}
>   #+attr_latex: :options {By the way...}
>   #+attr_odt: :options {By the way...}
>   #+begin_note
>   This is a useful note (with a title).
>   #+end_note

Isn't this too stylized?   Wouldn't it rather be

#+attr_html: :options "title='BTW'"
#+attr_latex: :options {BTW}
#+begin_note
This is a useful note (with a title).
#+end_note

ox-html has not restrictions on attr_html BTW.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to get the title as part of the admonition,
> as Suvayu tried it in his OP?
>
>   #+begin_note :options {By the way...}
>   This is a useful note (with a title).
>   #+end_note

If you have something that should be shared across identically across
backends.  For a title I guess you'd use a caption, right?  A macro would
be a quick way to allow solutions once you know the right mapping between
the option element and backend transforming.

Rasmus

--
Dobbelt-A